• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed - ingenious legal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EXC View Post

You need to make a formal complaint to IL on the basis that you didn't provide them with your informed consent to make any PPI claims. If they reject the complaint or don't provide you with a final response to it within 8 weeks then you can file the complaint with the Legal Ombudsman. The LO will take a long time before they deal with it as they're really backed up but as you are following the formal complaints procedure, IL should not pursue you for payment in the meantime.

Don't worry about Silverback, they are very unlikely to go to the trouble of taking you to court for 300 quid.
    Thanks for your quick response. I will send email IL with a formal complaint.

Comment

Hello ,
      I am a new member. Today I have received a letter from Silverback Legal , stating they are acting on behalf of IL. It states that I owe IL £165 for a PPI claim from Black Horse. I did receive a cheque but don't ever recall asking IL to act on my behalf . I do vaguely recall clicking on one of those ads but as it was 2 years ago I can't remember where I was . I am preparing to send a complaint letter to IL but I'm not sure what I should write. I'd be grateful for some advise on the letter. Thanks a lot.
      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko73 View Post
        Hello ,
        I am a new member. Today I have received a letter from Silverback Legal , stating they are acting on behalf of IL. It states that I owe IL £165 for a PPI claim from Black Horse. I did receive a cheque but don't ever recall asking IL to act on my behalf . I do vaguely recall clicking on one of those ads but as it was 2 years ago I can't remember where I was . I am preparing to send a complaint letter to IL but I'm not sure what I should write. I'd be grateful for some advise on the letter. Thanks a lot.
        Richard
        You need to complain that you didn't knowingly instruct IL to act for you in making any claims and that if you did fill out a free PPI check online, any consent was limited to that.

You also need to state that you were not provided with a copy of the contract in a durable medium (ie on paper) at the time that IL claim you signed up, as distance selling regulations require.

Comment

Thanks a lot EXC , I'll get on it .

Comment

Hi all,
            Firstly, thank you for taking the time to post as it has enabled me to question my case with Ingenious Legal. I happen to stumble across this forum whilst looking into Ingenious.
            They are alleging that I filled in a form, directed by Facebook, allowing them to search for PPI on my behalf and are now chasing me for £953. I have requested the URL which has now disappeared (so unable to confirm / prove that I could have downloaded any credit or cancellation documents). Like most on here, they are very vague when trying to answer any questions that I have. I believe I have now reached the point where I need to take this to the Ombudsman. Has anyone managed to successfully challenge Ingenious?
            I am in no way saying that I didn't fill any forms in but the details,, signature that they have are not details that I would provide (such as email addresses). Also, the time that they are alleging I completed the forms was around the time that my wife was diagnosed with cancer so my memory is very sketchy.
            Thank you.for reading.

Comment

If you've not already done so you need to make a formal complaint to them. At the point they issue their final response or don't issue one within 8 weeks of your complaint then you can go to the Legal Ombudsman. Although they will take ages to make a decision it means that Ingenious can't pursue you for payment until the formal complaints process has been exhausted.

You need to base your complaint on the fact that you didn't give your informed consent to them to make a claim and that any consent was limited to just to a free PPI check. You also need to complain that they didn't comply with distance selling regulations by not providing you with a copy of the contract and the prescribed cancellation form at the point of sale. Had they done so you would have known that they had held you to a contract and have been able to cancel within the 14 day cancellation period.

See judgement in a similar case with a claims management company here Allay LOSE in Court - LegalBeagles Forum

Comment

Hi EXC,
                Thank you for your guidance and prompt response.
                I can confirm that I am in the process of complaining to them and have mentioned the fact that they haven't complied with the distance selling act (something that I read on this board so thanks again) and requested the URL that I was directed to.
                The URL is no longer in use so they cannot provide me with the proof that I was directed to any site, at any time.
                My PPI claim was against Black Horse who are providing a letter that illustrates that the claim was instigated by myself and not Ingenious. Hopefully this will be enough to stop Ingenious from pursuing the matter further - they have indicated this is a possibility - although it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't!
                If they still insist that they have acted above board, I will contact the Ombudsman as advised in the hope that they see Ingenious for the company they are.

Comment

Ok sounds like you've got it in hand. The letter from Black Horse would be helpful as it provides another strong complaint ground.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks EXC and to everyone on this thread, it genuinely has offered information and guidance that I was totally unaware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Briviv View Post

Thanks for your quick response. I will send email IL with a formal complaint.
                      Just to provide an update. I sent an email to IL as advised and have received an email as follows:

Thank you for your email and the contents of whichWe can confirm that we received an online application for the provision of our services on 20 August 2019. The application was processed on a Desktop PC device using the Windows 10 platform via the Chrome Web Browser.

The information that was provided at the time of the application is as follows.

They have provided all of my details correctly, except the email address which is my partners. They have also sent a copy of various documents which I have never seen. One a legal form of authority which I assumed they filled in and signed, but it hasn't been signed by me.

What should I do next?

Many thanks

Comment

Hiya

You need to file the complaint with the Legal Ombudsman Home | Legal Ombudsman

Then you should tell IL (and Silverback if they're still involved) that you have done so as such it would not be appropriate for them to continue to pursue you for payment until such time as the Ombudsman has made a final decision.

This will kick the issue into the long grass for quite some time as the Legal Ombudsman are so backed up that they're unlikely to even start looking at the complaint for at least 6 months. They should however acknowledge receipt of the complaint within a few days.

Comment

Hiya

You need to file the complaint with the Legal Ombudsman Home | Legal Ombudsman

Then you should tell IL (and Silverback if they're still involved) that you have done so as such it would not be appropriate for them to continue to pursue you for payment until such time as the Ombudsman has made a final decision.

This will kick the issue into the long grass for quite some time as the Legal Ombudsman are so backed up that they're unlikely to even start looking at the complaint for at least 6 months. They should however acknowledge receipt of the complaint within a few days.
                          Thanks for your quick response. Should I just word the complaint similar to the email I sent to IL and do I need to send them a copy of the documents IL have sent to me. Should I also advise IL that I have never seen or signed the documents they sent?

Comment

Thanks for your quick response. Should I just word the complaint similar to the email I sent to IL and do I need to send them a copy of the documents IL have sent to me. Should I also advise IL that I have never seen or signed the documents they sent?

Comment

When you file the complaint with the Legal Ombudsman they will only initially accept the complaint that you originally sent to IL and IL's response to it. Once they take up the complaint (which won't be for ages) you'll then be given the opportunity to provide additional information/documents etc.

There's no point in telling IL anything now.

When the Ombudsman starts considering the complaint let me know.

Comment

When you file the complaint with the Legal Ombudsman they will only initially accept the complaint that you originally sent to IL and IL's response to it. Once they take up the complaint (which won't be for ages) you'll then be given the opportunity to provide additional information/documents etc.

There's no point in telling IL anything now.

When the Ombudsman starts considering the complaint let me know.
                                Sorry to bother you again, I clicked on the link for the Ombudsman and it's asking me if the company is regulated. It only seems to mentioned England & Wales but I am based in Scotland. Can you advise please?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X