• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Allay LOSE in Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allay LOSE in Court

A LegalBeagles member has successfully defended legal proceedings issued by Allay Claims in court on Thursday.

This was a classic case of Allay claiming that the defendant electronically signed a Letter of Authority and Terms of Engagement after responding to a 'Free PPI Check' advert on Facebook, when the defendant did not in fact sign anything. As far as we are aware this is the first time that the notorious Allay digital signature issue has been contested in court.

In this case the defendant filled out the form on the advert and then received Letters of Authority and a contract in the post to sign & return. In the event she decided not to and eventually made the PPI claims herself. Somehow Allay were made aware by the bank that she had successfully made the claims and invoiced her for £1600.

In the judgment, below, the District Judge held that not only did the defendant not sign a contract as Allay had bogusly claimed, had she done so it would have been invalid in any event due to the absence of a cancellation form or a copy of the contract in a durable medium as required by distance selling regulations.

Although this is a County Court judgment and therefore does not set case law, it is indicative of how courts may view the issue and we hope that it gives confidence to others in a similar position who believe that they have been a victim of fraud.

The judgment also raises serious questions about the Financial Conduct Authority's regulation of Allay Claims. Although the FCA were fully aware of the widespread Facebook advert/digital signature issue and in fact banned Allay from conducting online promotions (albeit temporarily) in August 2019, they inexplicably granted Allay a full & permanent license to conduct claims management in February this year.

We have provided FCA with the judgment and invited them to revisit their decision.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LB1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1545953

Click image for larger version

Name:	LB2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1545954

Tags: None

Hey, do you know which court this court this decision was made in as I am having similar problems with Allay Claims. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sean.Jacobs View Post
      Hey, do you know which court this court this decision was made in as I am having similar problems with Allay Claims. Thanks
      I do but I'd rather not say so as to protect the identity of the defendant. If you're defending a claim from a company the case is always held in the court local to you.

Have Allay issued a claim against you?

Comment

From what i have seen Allay terms and conditions do not comply with the Consumer Contract Information cancellation and additional charges Regulations 2013. This failure renders their claims hopeless.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

https://www.moneycheats.co.uk/post/s...icense-revoked

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X