• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Join-In IT Query Thead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Join-In IT Query Thead

Just got a new laptop & plan is to connect by wireless & use it either or with desktop

I am proficient in Application Software but off the pace re Internet stuff

Been asking Curly things by PM - but raising this thread so others can see & join-in with their queries and I'm sure Curly & others will advise

This thread is non specific and expect it be a long rambling thread about anything

SO-some of my early queries first Curly in next post ---(I've got loads later btw)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Turboman; 1st January 2011, 19:40:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: The Join-In IT Query Thead

1--Muddled my way through connecting to upstairs router wirelessly---had Legal Beagles in one Tab & You tube in another to test speaker volumes

Suddenly--I get Web Page cannot be displayed error-go to desktop - no problem

I was playing "The Ballad of Lucy ******" & "Barcelona"---it could't have been Freddie Mercury of course-so it must be either Monserrat Cabelle or Marianne Faithful--What do you suspect?

EDIT-Logged out-switched off Curly-rebooted-no change---wont connect to internet

2--How do you move favourites from desktop XP to laptop Windows 7?

3--I know I have to always have the router on-but does it always need the dektop connection on?

4--I've always used partitioning for security/backups/multiple op systems with Powerquest Drive Image & Partition Magic--which better than XP partitioning.
    Is Windows 7 Partitioning easy & reliable?

5--What will be the issues re my older programs like Turbocad & Paintshop Pro & Lotus Smartsuite on this 64 bit machine?

6--Unusually-on this machine (Acer Aspire 5742-Comet-£379) it comes with a FREE starter version of Word & Excel (not time dependent)--as you know-I use Excel a lot for PPI with Bill - do you know much about Excel in Starter edition

No doubt when I get round to reading the user manuals (when i find em & print em out) some answers in there---but I suspect far quicker to ask you Curly
    Last edited by Turboman; 30th December 2010, 18:10:PM. Reason: 6-- added

Comment

I'll come back after I've had some beer

Comment

Good Answer lol
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post

He says that when he is at work too

Comment

1/ nuke out the connection and refresh it. Make sure the encryption (WEP or WPA) key is correct.
            2/ EXPORT from IE in XP > Save to USB stick > IMPORT on Win7
            3/ Router, Yes, desktop pc, Nope.
            4/ A matter of personal pref. I prefer Partition magic when I need to do this on the fly. Otherwise I do it at the install stage.
            5/ Win7 has a good compatibility mode and also you can run an XP virtual machine for older apps.
            6/ The basic edition should do everything you need.
            7/ More beer.

So anymore, but don't ask me about Vista as it sucks bottom big time.

Comment

how you do 1)

Comment

7--Bit of a mess with windows live, messenger , hotlmail on xp machine

If I click Messenger in shortcuts--I get a simple white screen with contacts and a typing area at bottom

If I then within click on Inbox--instead of taking me to hotmail-it takes me to my Karoo ISP Inbox?

So I have to google Messenger--sign in twice --- but back to square one next day

I see Windows 7 is preset so a bit better--

If I have both boxes during the day in Messenger/Hotmail-will they get confused?

Comment

1/ Do a search for "manage Wireless Networks" the simply right click and remove from there.
                  Then just rescan and rejoin with the correct information.
                  (Search is found when you click the "start" button as was, it actually works as well )

7/ still need more beer.

8/ Windows live is a whole encompassing PoS.
                  If you really must use it then it's available on the normal update route.

Personally I prefer Trillian for IM and Thunderbird for e-mails.

Comment

No connections are available after i click Wireless under Setup Under Internet Properties

Comment

Make sure it's physically turned on.
                      Maybe a switch or an Fn Fx key combo.

Comment

on the laptop or router?----getting stressed!!!!!

Comment

Turbo - how old is your desktop? I drove myself round the bend with this a couple of weeks ago trying to network a "new" second hand laptop in our housse. Turned out the old wireless network card would only recognise WEP and I needed one that recognised WPA. Went to local computer shop next day, bought a second hand one with drivers for £10 (Wireless USB thingy) plugged it in, it asked for the network key, put it in, then worked straightaway.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                            Turbo - how old is your desktop? I drove myself round the bend with this a couple of weeks ago trying to network a "new" second hand laptop in our housse. Turned out the old wireless network card would only recognise WEP and I needed one that recognised WPA. Went to local computer shop next day, bought a second hand one with drivers for £10 (Wireless USB thingy) plugged it in, it asked for the network key, put it in, then worked straightaway.
                            Its the laptop I want wirelessnetworked---Curly says I dont even need the desktop on ( 3 yrs btw-dell)

Comment

8--Curly--can we go back to basics with this network theory-assuming I get 1 solved
                              • I've got a Dell Desktop (XP) connected to the new router by cable & a non wireless printer connected to this desktop
                              • A new laptop running Windows 7 (with no bloody manual re windows btw) and wireless incorporated
                              I am only attempting on the laptop to set up by Control Panel|Internet Options|Connections----whereas I seem to remember something about Network Wizards when I did XP?

So---presumably I am merely setting up an internet connection (or trying to-lol) via the router and not setting up a network?-

-and not accessing the internet via the desktop--like in pre-wireless days?

Assuming we get that part solved---how do I get to the situation whereby I can access files on either machine from the other?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X