• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Evicted, Homeless & Suicidal

Hello LB Family.

couple of updates.

Been filling these Homeless forms and they sure have lots of them but in between I managed to call the Councillor's office and from what I've been told the council is still taking hard line stance towards my eviction and of course they've brought up my council tax non payment on top of the subletting allegation.

I told him of the outcome of yesterday's hearing and all he said was they (the council) are/ will use my history and chronology of events as in the letter to my local MP (which I posted) as arguments as a reason for not letting me go back to my flat. Their main argument is centered on the letter (which I never signed) that stated that if I fall into arrears, they would automatically evict me. In essence they are just doing what they told me they would.

And considering the matter has taken a legal route the council is pulling all their legal weight on me even though he suggested that since I'm now full employed, and employer is willing to pay my 6 months rent in advance(with evidence then it should be something that they might consider). In addition he's suggested since I was about to be moved to a new accommodation then the council is willing to cut some of my moving money towards their rent.

The hardship I've gone through has made me appreciate (not that I wasn't) life more and one person that truly care about me. When I thought about committing suicide all I could think of is how selfish of me that would be and how it would devastate and perhaps for long time my employer (who has been with me all the way). I kept saying this isnt end of the world but its also worth fighting for. So in a way my life has been like a spiderweb where each piece of web is an integral part of the overall construction of who I am and in someways the final creation is an intricate combination of perfectly positioned links that form the whole. So if i sever just one key link and the entire web succumbs to capricious winds. With one cut, the entire web is razed and that means psychological downfall and my life is like that web.

I joined a gym nearby just to stay sane while I'm fighting my demons and perhaps it was the best investment since I would easily walk into the gym in the morning, take a shower and go out till later at night for the same routine. This has made me appreciate life more, I mean 99p stores were a life saver...managed to get my toiletries from there and of course a jumper and T shirt from Primark made a huge difference while I was sleeping out there. Whether you believe in a higher power or not, life is full of struggles and troubles, yet much of what happens for you after things happen is a direct result on how you choose to handle your circumstances. Personally, I've taken my local authority to the courts and I dont have the power or money to fight them all the way and I'm not asking for hand outs, I just want to be given a chance considering I have a full time job now.

Borrowed books from my local library (I'm a big John Le Carre Fan) and I'm also reading Primo Levi's If this is a Man and the Truce.

Tomorrow I have to follow up on my possessions so at least I should arrange where I can keep the ones I could salvage (that is if they've not destroyed or auctioned them off).

I will also have my interview at the homeless and I most fear about the intentional homeless part

Eitherway, I'm trying to stay sane and take a day as it comes.

Comment

But, George​, which bloody borough is doing this??

Comment

Very handy to get George shifted from his property just before its due to be demolished ,no problems re locating him etc
        Im no expert on these matters but 990 arrears does not seem the largest amount in the world and then goerge had paid as well ..

Sadly there will be plenty more of these types of cases ,arears are soaring since the bed room tax kicked off :-(

Comment

Wow....very moving post George xxxx
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by George Smiley View Post
            So if i sever just one key link and the entire web succumbs to capricious winds. With one cut, the entire web is razed and that means psychological downfall and my life is like that web.
            I think that analogy would be true for many people. People have a habit of taking things for granted.

Did you know John Le Carre used to work for MI5 and MI6? It was only after 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' became such a huge success he gave up 'the day job' to become a full time author.

Comment

Tomorrow I have to follow up on my possessions so at least I should arrange where I can keep the ones I could salvage (that is if they've not destroyed or auctioned them off).
              It is so tragic that our possessions are often treated with such disrespect. Sure - if you have nice Mercedes with a grand touring caravan attached, then they will flog them for a pittance. But that little box of memories - perhaps letters and photographs - has no value to anyone else, and it is treated with contempt and thrown on a skip. I can't help with this, George, but I sure do sympathise - and if I can help, I will sir.
              I will also have my interview at the homeless and I most fear about the intentional homeless part
              Some years back, I had a 'set-to' with our local DHSS because we had left our home in Buckinghamshire and were renting a home in Selkirk, Scotland. The DHSS asked me if I had planned to move here permanently or to return to our previous home (seeking to ascertain my 'intentions') - and I replied that I no longer made plans as they were usually thwarted by reality. They seized upon this statement, and relied upon it to demonstrate that I had no plans to stay here. After two effing Tribunal hearings, I finally convinced the DHSS Commissioners that 'having no plans' does NOT demonstrate any intention one way or the other.

So - be careful if the word 'intent' is used, along with any other synonyms such as 'plan' or 'wish'. I do doubt, though, that you could sensibly be considered as making yourself intentionally homeless. You have had a somewhat chequered employment history, but what seems clear is that you have never evaded your responsibility to pay your way - even though the means to do so has oft evaded you. The historic evidence as you have presented it seems to show that you have made every effort to pay for the roof over your head, and when the fruitful times of Summer returned after the long cold winters, you endeavoured to do so. To my eyes, there is NO evidence there to demonstrate that your intention was to render yourself homeless. Au contraire - there seems to be overwhelming evidence that the intent to render you homeless is entirely on the part of your local council.

Eitherway, I'm trying to stay sane and take a day as it comes.
              Good man. Take one step at a time - but remember to keep taking those steps. You may feel very much alone, but you are not.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                Did you know John Le Carre used to work for MI5 and MI6? It was only after 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' became such a huge success he gave up 'the day job' to become a full time author.
                I understood that David John Moore Cornwall worked for the Intelligence Service and was stationed in West Germany.

"Le Carré", translated from the French, means "squared" or "raised to the power of 2". :nerd:

Comment

Guys what do you think of these arguments....abuse of process in the sense of oppressive conduct by the landlord ( council)

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/ben...nd-bailiff-out

Comment

Hi George - you ok?

'.........latest law.......'?

December 2000?
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      Hi George - you ok?

'.........latest law.......'?

December 2000?
                      I will write about my encounter today at the homeless where I'm learned about intentional and unintentional homeless

What do you guys think of this:

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/housing-law-4

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2011/0...-a-little-bit/

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-leg...-bailiffs.html

http://www.letlink.co.uk/articles/po...part-three.htm
                      l

Comment

Guys what do you think of these arguments....abuse of process in the sense of oppressive conduct by the landlord ( council)

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/ben...nd-bailiff-out
                        One must surely agree, as the "explanation" by the (presumably steatopygous) Unhousing Officer was that you had paid over one half of the arrears but had not applied for a stay of the eviction order. Thus, they were insisting upon all their "rights" whilst cheerfully ignoring their duties to their tenant.

How are you getting on with recovery of your possessions?

And which blasted borough has done this?

Comment

It is interesting that the above web page refers to the case of Norman Lamont v Marion Akin (link), which £23,000 action was partially funded (to the tune of £4,700) by the taxpayer and where it was claimed the defendant was using the flat as a massage parlour. Nothing could have been further from the truth - no massages had been conducted there, unless one counts beating with crops, whips or canes to be "massage", and she certainly did not have sex with her clients.

Comment

Arrears, warrants and abuse of process

Blemain Finance Ltd v Andrea Jayne Ridley Darlington County Court 21 June 2012

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2012/0...se-of-process/

Comment

Welcome back, George!

Which borough evicted you?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                                One must surely agree, as the "explanation" by the (presumably steatopygous) Unhousing Officer was that you had paid over one half of the arrears but had not applied for a stay of the eviction order. Thus, they were insisting upon all their "rights" whilst cheerfully ignoring their duties to their tenant.

How are you getting on with recovery of your possessions?

And which blasted borough has done this?

So far I've not got a single item however after making 5 trips to the council they gave me a number to call (removal company). Well, left several voice messages but they never responded. so I made a complaint to the council again.

I got called back but I'm told that they wont allow me to take any items (clothes that i need to change or documents) unless the council gives authorization.

The person responsible from the council is un reachable.

so I'm still in the same clothes I had since they came to evict me on 25th.

The councillor's office got back to me and since its a legal matter they're all scared of giving me any info. But someone told me they are trying to pinch me on unpaid Council Tax plus the history as posted (same letter they sent to the MP is the basis for their defense). However they've advised (off the record) that I should propose to the council/housing to deduct some of the decanting money (i was about to moved to new flats in September since the building is being knocked down) towards my rents and arrears. I wish to point out that when the decanting officer visited me few months ago in the interview we had he said all tenants that owe money, will be deducted from the decanting funds (up to £7,000) per tenant.

I told the councillor that:

1. I cleared my arrears before the eviction day (I owed £930, I paid £990)

2. I never signed or got any letter from the council stating they would kick me out if my arrears accumulate.

3. My employer offered to pay 6 months advance payments towards my rent

4. They can deduct even my 1 year rent from the decanting money if that's what they want

5. I never had a full time job, now I have one

I've not responded to my MP and make the record straight in regards to the payments and my situation.

The borough is in East London.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X