• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Medical records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medical records

Worded badly or not......it contains some salient points.

Comment

Without wishing to prolong - or restart - a painful debate, I think that whatever else, this has been an interesting discussion and we could all benefit by it. It is easy for regular members of forums such as this to get into a comfortable space where we broadly assume that we are all on the same page - we are all against bailiffs, cuts to welfare benefits etc. There may be minor differences of opinion, but by and large the posters here are self-selecting and there is a broad sense of common values and views. It's pretty easy for the next stage to be that we become convinced that this reflects views in the wider world.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the governments actions in cutting benefits to the sick and disabled, and to the unemployed, are not nearly as unpopular with the wider population as we would like to think they are. That is why the government can get away with doing it! There actually is a consensus that you shouldn't be able to claim more money for being unemployed than for being in work. People know that some people who claim to be sick or disabled are taking the piss. They aren't the majority, and most people live in a cosy world where they actually believe that things will turn out right and be generally fair - so they expect that clamping down means clamping down just on those who won't work, are claiming to be sicker than they are, etc. This is no different than in other things... tribunal charges for claims are being introduced because some people have deliberately submitted claims that they know for a fact they cannot support in order to force a settlement from employers who know that defending a false claim will cost them more than settling. I have seen, on certain other websites, entire groups of advisors who have actually promoted this - bung in a claim and they'll settle, never mind that you really are guilty and they can prove it.

IanM may have expressed what he said badly, but lets not be under any illusion that what he says has no merit at all, or that it does not reflect the views of a very wide range of the population. And the problem is, they aren't "wrong". They may not be "right" either, but they aren't "wrong". It is too easy to abuse the system of benefits, and there are too many people doing it. Not the majority by far, but too many. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, although I would be more than happy to not cut the benefits bill at all if someone could show me a way of ensuring that increased income went to people who actually needed it and deserved it - the genuine claimants. But I am quite certain that whilst there is so much abuse of the system, there will continue to be broad support for cuts and harsher procedures, and simply being "agin it" won't cut any ice.

Comment

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall (S.G. Tallentyre)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

So many misconceptions in this thread.
          1st one I can see is that assuming that someone on JSA is not ill.
          If you claim ESA you have 13 weeks before a "medical". If you fail this, and it is well documented how many people fail when they are later passed you have a choice to either appeal , which takes a long time and a lot of aggro or you take it on the chin and claim JSA. Many people do not have the strength or knowledge to appeal and the help resources are not out there so they end up on JSA.

I do agree that you can not charge the employer to access your medical records but the GP will probably charge them. I also feel that I would not want an employer to see all my medical records , only the relevant ones.

Bi-Polar disorder is not a diagnosis that is just given, it takes investigation and treatment before it is diagnosed.

Many mental health issues are not apparent to the casual observer. I find it insulting to suggest that it is a con trick.

As for an alleged troll, I would rather treat everyone as genuine unless proved otherwise . The question may not have been a "good" question but no one allowed the OP to fully explain before someone else jumped in with accusations

Finally it is sad to say that many people do believe the hype and propaganda given out by the various governments and press that a large proportion of sickness claimants are skiving.
          Remember as well that the total benefit cap includes all benefits such as HB and CTB. Depending on where you live your rent could be high for simple accommodation and also remember that if these people with 3 kids worked they would also be entitled to other benefits, so its not necessarily a case of no work=benefits work=no benefits

Comment

Perhaps that nice Mr IDS proposes to turn the clock back to a time when the poor, the sick & the insane were relocated into secure accommodation?

http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/19410

The Ballad of Reading Gaol

by Oscar Wild

"I walked, with other souls in pain,
            Within another ring,
            And was wondering if the man had done
            A great or little thing,
            When a voice behind me whispered low,
            "That fellows got to swing."
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The OP asked ...CAN HE (OP) CHARGE HIS EMPLOYER TO ACCESS HIS (OP'S) MEDICAL RECORDS AND THE ANSWER (GIVEN RIGHT AT THE START WAS NO,,HE (OP) CANNOT
              THE GP CAN (AND PROBABLY WILL) CHARGE THE (OP'S) EMPLOYER FOR SUCH RECORDS.
              OP WAS ALSO ADVISED THAT TO OBJECT TO THE EMPLOYER HAVING SUCH ACCESS COULD RAISE ALARM BELLS.

And as for hype + propaganda....I'm sorry but I have to agree with IanM (just worded better)lol....there are many many people in this country (and worldwide) who have MH issues..I have and I will be on medication for the rest of my life for it and I know others who have virtually lost everything because of MH issues,,we are genuine cases,properly diagnosed and receiving treatment,trying to help ourselves to live 'normal' lives (whatever 'normal' is)..but there are also just as many 'lead swingers'.....with the proverbial backache,headache,stomach ache..all things that cannot be 'seen' by the naked eye and any Dr worth his salt will properly investigate these before signing someone off 'sick' and the folks who really do not want to work seem to have had 'Eureka' moments and decided that 'depression' is the new 'choice of illness' and,to someone like me who has been at the foot of that well of despair,I find it thoroughly insulting.
              With modern technology (internet) it is very very easy to 'self diagnose' and those people who really don't want to work will seek out and use any information off the 'net to convince Drs that they have the problems.
              As for having kids whilst being 'state supported'..it's wrong,,5 or 6 kids and no job to help support them is basically taking the p***.

Comment

Benefits cheats & leadswingers are a scourge; they deserve to be named & shamed.

What causes many people concern, however, is the ability of a 'healthcare professional', at a Work Capability Assessment, to completely ignore expert medical evidence when deciding on a person's' fitness for work.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...sment-scrapped
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Oh I couldn't agree more Charity,,ATOS is shocking,,truly shocking. I didn't have to undergo a medical but I'm sure if I had to have had one the Assessor would have found me fit to work despite the fairly obvious wheelchair/walker,tons of medication and medical backup and the gazillion test results.

Comment

Many thanks to the people who have had nothing but kind and supporting words for me on this thread and as for the negative people well what do you excpect we do live in a con-dem nation where people are not allowed to be ill.

I belive some are ill educated and probably belive every peice of propaganda they read you know like the one where it was reported 50 families on benifits living in mansions in london and it turned out to be one then the single mum with 3 children was supposedly raking in more money than the avarage worker (but the story forgot to tell you the majority of her income was made up of child support payments not benifit payments, she was reciveing no more than anybody else.)

i really would hate for one of these negative people or one of there family to ever suffer from mental health problems they would soon change there tunes, i have suffered with stress, anxiety and depression through out my life and it can be crippling im 40 now and i have only been out of work 3 times in my working life twice due to redundancy and i was once laid of during the begining of the recession, i have paid TAXES just as much as the next person.

To suggest my illness was brought on by haveing to go to work is ridiculous .

And one more thing if an employer charges for something i have no doubt some of the evil cretins on here would be calling them entrepreneurs but because some one like me suggested i may charge for access to my medical record(MY PERSONAL DATA) i am considerd a scrounger and benifit scum.

Comment

[QUOTE=povertypimp;351448]Many thanks to the people who have had nothing but kind and supporting words for me on this thread and as for the negative people well what do you excpect we do live in a con-dem nation where people are not allowed to be ill.

I belive some are ill educated and probably belive every peice of propaganda they read you know like the one where it was reported 50 families on benifits living in mansions in london and it turned out to be one then the single mum with 3 children was supposedly raking in more money than the avarage worker (but the story forgot to tell you the majority of her income was made up of child support payments not benifit payments, she was reciveing no more than anybody else. But there are 100's of other cases where the benefit system IS being abused,,and I'm sorry but I believe you should be able to support your offspring through work,,not benefits.

i really would hate for one of these negative people or one of there family to ever suffer from mental health problems they would soon change there tunes, i have suffered with stress, anxiety and depression through out my life and it can be crippling im 40 now and i have only been out of work 3 times in my working life twice due to redundancy and i was once laid of during the begining of the recession, i have paid TAXES just as much as the next person. All you were asked was how long you had been in this employment as you recently posted about a JSA issue,,it was a relevant question asked by a very qualified lady,,her answers would depend on your answers.

To suggest my illness was brought on by haveing to go to work is ridiculous
                      I think we all concur that a post or 2 were badly worded.

And one more thing if an employer charges for something i have no doubt some of the evil cretins on here would be calling them entrepreneurs but because some one like me suggested i may charge for access to my medical record(MY PERSONAL DATA) i am considerd a scrounger and benifit scum.[/QUO
                      No one called you a 'scrounger' or 'benefit scum'....but you cannot charge your Employer for access to your medical records and Eloise did advise you of this from the start of this thread along with how your employer wouldn't look too kindly upon such a request.
                      You don't have to answer this but my curiousity is peaked..why are you off sick? and how long have you had this job?

Comment

As far as I can see the OP had made 1 original post about the likelyhood of a DCA taking action if someone has no assets and only income is JSA. There were no details so we do not even know if the OP was talking about themselves

Inca , the danger is that we probably all know of someone who it is said claims benefits they are not entitled to, however without the facts we do not know how true it is. You really can not blame the people who claim what they are entitled to, after all the law says they can claim. If it needs to change the law needs changing .
                        Actual fraud is very low and while no fraud is good it is not the biggest problem.

Comment

You really can not blame the people who claim what they are entitled to, after all the law says they can claim. If it needs to change the law needs changing

Please enlighten as to exactly where I say 'I blame the people who claim what they are ENTITLED to'??

Comment

It was my dear a more general comment , however
                            But there are 100's of other cases where the benefit system IS being abused,,and I'm sorry but I believe you should be able to support your offspring through work,,not benefits.

As you say there are 100's of claims that are wrong however that is a very small percentage of total claims and maybe sledgehammer and nut spring to mind

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                              As you say there are 100's of claims that are wrong however that is a very small percentage of total claims and maybe sledgehammer and nut spring to mind
                              The government frequently uses this technique.

It picks on something with which most people will agree - that the social security system is being abused, for example. This is then used as a vehicle to bring in something else entirely - a vicious, corrupt system that targets the (more profitable) majority, rather than the dishonest minority.

Comment

IMO we have a long way to go to sort out the benefits system - for example I know a young single mum of one child in my village who has secured a private rental property of 3 bedrooms and is receiving £900 per month rent assistance ( and not declaring all income) another lady who is receiving £500 and not declaring all income. And on the other hand talking about health asessments my future Daughter in law , who is 23 has just been diagnosed with Ankylosis spondilitus (excuse spelling) which is extremely painful and is terrified of her long term future because there may genuinely be times she could work and other times where due to the drugs she is taking and the pain it would be very difficult.Why should she be worried sick about her working future when others are really abusing the system? And I am sure we all know people in similar positions , which means there is long road to travel yet.
                                "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X