• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Medical records

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medical records

Originally posted by labman View Post
    However, and this is important, the total ignorance being shown of mental health issues is astonishing, and to be honest does the site a huge dis-service. Mental health issues are a genuine illness and should be seen as such. The comments on this thread about it are extremely unhelpful and ignorant.
    Sorry? What? One person in one post made an assumption - an unevidenced assumption - when nobody else at all was discussing or commenting on mental health, and certainly wasn't commenting on whether it was genuine or not since none of us have a clue why the OP claims to be off sick because they didn't say! The comments that I made on this thread may not have been the comments that the OP wanted to hear, but I object to them being described as "extremely unhelpful and ignorant" - my comments, and the majority of comments on this thread are accurate, informed, and, if the OP wishes to remain in employment, very helpful.

Comment

[QUOTE=des8;350865]
      Originally posted by IanM View Post
      I would guess 90% of most mental health issues are self induced, you convince yourself you are mentally ill to justify not having to stand on your own 2 feet while everyone else picks up the tab.

Whilst I agree with the responses to this post on what basis do you "guess" @ 90%?. You have experience of dealing with the mentally ill, or you read The Daily Wail and Torygraph?
      OK! I should have said 90% of the people with mental health issues where I live are self induced, depressed because they can't find a job that pays them more than what they can get being on sickness benefits, or bi-polar because they can't get a bottle of cider or drugs when they want them to keep their heads straight, as they put it, or irritable bowel syndrome, acne, bad backs....etc.,,etc..,etc!

It's basically they get so used to sitting at home all day or partying into the early hours and getting paid for it without having to do more than fill in a few forms and go crying to their doctors with every excuse under the sun so they don't have to work for a living like the rest of us.

I am sick and tired of seeing people that do nothing but spread their legs and fire out brats like ping pong balls get more money than I do when I have to work 60-70 hours a week just to survive on the basics.

The OP has just got a job and has realised that in the real world you have to actually work to keep a job which as we can see he doesn't want to do, so has signed on sick from work to avoid doing any work while still picking up a paycheck while at the same time trying to charge the employer to get the evidence to prove he is sick.

OP states: """Yes i was unemployed(not illegal yet in money and goverment circles) a few months ago i do suffer from mental health problems and i havent refused anybody access to anything i asked can i charge access to my medical records?.""""

If the OP had genuine mental health issues before taking the job he would not have been kicked off benefits into a job that would make those issues get worse and someone else would now be employed in his place that actually wants to work.

So sorry for not being PC enough to keep everyone happy with my opinions but I live in the real world where life is tough and there isn't enough cotton wool to go round!!

Comment

If, the OP is in doubt best to phone ACAS for advice!
        http://www.acas.org.uk/?articleid=1410

Comment

You really sound like IDS. Do you happen to work for ATOS?
          A few might have the attitude you describe, but it's a big leap to 90%. I doubt you have any basis for making such sweeping assertions, and all you are doing is making the ill and vulnerable feel even more worthless.
          The sick, especially the mentally ill, are an easy target, as are immigrants and any minority group. Before you go accusing any group of acting in a way with which you disagree, or you consider antisocial or whatever you need to have evidence. I do not accept a "guess" as evidence. If it is evidence of anything it is of intolerance by the holder of those views.

Comment

[QUOTE=IanM;350973]
            Originally posted by des8 View Post

OK! I should have said 90% of the people with mental health issues where I live are self induced, depressed because they can't find a job that pays them more than what they can get being on sickness benefits, or bi-polar because they can't get a bottle of cider or drugs when they want them to keep their heads straight, as they put it, or irritable bowel syndrome, acne, bad backs....etc.,,etc..,etc!

It's basically they get so used to sitting at home all day or partying into the early hours and getting paid for it without having to do more than fill in a few forms and go crying to their doctors with every excuse under the sun so they don't have to work for a living like the rest of us.

I am sick and tired of seeing people that do nothing but spread their legs and fire out brats like ping pong balls get more money than I do when I have to work 60-70 hours a week just to survive on the basics.

The OP has just got a job and has realised that in the real world you have to actually work to keep a job which as we can see he doesn't want to do, so has signed on sick from work to avoid doing any work while still picking up a paycheck while at the same time trying to charge the employer to get the evidence to prove he is sick.

OP states: """Yes i was unemployed(not illegal yet in money and goverment circles) a few months ago i do suffer from mental health problems and i havent refused anybody access to anything i asked can i charge access to my medical records?.""""

If the OP had genuine mental health issues before taking the job he would not have been kicked off benefits into a job that would make those issues get worse and someone else would now be employed in his place that actually wants to work.

So sorry for not being PC enough to keep everyone happy with my opinions but I live in the real world where life is tough and there isn't enough cotton wool to go round!!
            I do not wish to get involved in this thread.
            However IMHO, the above post is inappropriate!

Comment

Let's also get this in perspective - the OP may have mental health problems, but nowhere have they said that this is the reason for them being off sick. We don't know why they are off sick. And it doesn't matter why they are off sick. The employer has asked for medical records. The OP may refuse, but in doing so they are jeopardising their employment. Whether it's mental health or an ingrowing toenail. And the OP cannot charge the employer for their agreement.

Comment

The sick and the less able will always be an easy target,the country has for many years been run by posh boys who view everone outside their class as plebs and peasants.we have many anti discrimination laws now but the one discimination still allowed is against the peasants ,i for on e would like to see everone treated equally but unles i live to be thousands of years old i will never see it,im happy as a pig in sh--- now im to old to change myself i just live life how it comes

Comment

Please, let us remember that some firms are BULLIES...!

I have seen similar recently and the victim would not agree to allowing the firm to view her sensitive medical records!
                  An individual doe not have to allow a firm sight of their medical records, end of!

As stated prior, the OP should give ACAS a call; ACAS are very helpful

Comment

[QUOTE=IanM;350973]

Thanks for that.

I guess you lean towards 'Right Realism', with particular emphasis on 'Control Theory', & the utilitarian 'felicific calculus' of Jeremy Bentham.

In his 'panopticon' can be found his 'ideal' system.

A valid & well documented part, but only a part, of the overall big picture of the problems & conflicting theories which plague the quest for a solution to social order.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                    gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                      Please, let us remember that some firms are BULLIES...!

I have seen similar recently and the victim would not agree to allowing the firm to view her sensitive medical records!
                      An individual doe not have to allow a firm sight of their medical records, end of!

As stated prior, the OP should give ACAS a call; ACAS are very helpful
                      That was not the question that was asked - although it was answered anyway. The OP may refuse. They may also see what is said before it is sent.

The question that was asked was can the OP charge the employer to give their consent, and the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                        That was not the question that was asked - although it was answered anyway. The OP may refuse. They may also see what is said before it is sent.

The question that was asked was can the OP charge the employer to give their consent, and the answer is no.
                        As an aside, can the Data Controller ask for a fee in these circumstances?
                        This would be a case of 'covering costs', a different matter to charging purely for OP's 'consent'?
                        http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public...al_information
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by povertypimp View Post
                          My employer keeps harraseing me for access to my medical records as i am on sick leave at the moment, i was wondering is there anything stopping me chargeing a fee for access?(consent to my medical records) for example billing them £100 for my consent to my medical records?.
                          GP's in general charge a fee of about £50.00.
                          I don't think it would be unfair to pass this fee on to the employer!

Comment

Employers are generally charged for the report, yes. But that is a different matter.

Comment

[QUOTE=IanM;350973]

If the OP had genuine mental health issues before taking the job he would not have been kicked off benefits into a job that would make those issues get worse and someone else would now be employed in his place that actually wants to work
                              :scared: :scared: :scared:

I'm not going to dignify that post with a full response. Who the hell are you to question whether the OP has "genuine" mental health issues, and where's your evidence that they were "kicked off benefits".

If you think it's ok to call the OP a lying cheating benefit scrounger then it's ok for me to call you an ill-informed bigot.

EDIT: to clarify that original offensive post was made by IanM and not des8. The quote box is confusing.
                              Last edited by PlanB; 21st June 2013, 18:19:PM. Reason: clarifying original poster

Comment

[QUOTE=IanM;350973]
                                And while I'm on the subject of bigotry I take it that when you say "people that do nothing but spread their legs" you mean women (just a guess). When I last studied biology it took both a man and a woman to get pregnant. Maybe you have a view on feckless fathers who leave women to bring up their children without financial support and unable to work due to the high cost of childcare so have no option but to claim benefit. Being stuck at home with a baby and no money can cause serious mental illness.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X