• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ claim from lowell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ claim from lowell

hi all

i am new to this forum and find myself here seeking your advice about a CCJ i have received from lowell just got back from a 10 days working away so i have lost time to respond already

Received a claim? Yes

Issue Date: 23 january 2020

Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: no

Total Amount Claimed : 2800 but this is 3 different accounts put together

Claimant’s Name: lowell portfolio ltd

Solicitors Firm: lowell solicitors ltd

Original Creditor: shop direct finance,EE finance,Vodafone finance
    Original Debt : very account and two mobile contracts
    Particulars of Claim: 1. The claim comprises the following agreements the defendant entered into
    A. shop direct finance company ltd with reference xxxxxx and current balance of xxxxx
    B. Vodafone finance uk ltd with reference xxxxx and current balance of xxxx
    C. EE finance plc with reference xxxxx and current balance of xxxxx
    the agreements were terminated as payments were not maintained and subsequently assigned to the claimant
    A. the total of the said sums being £2800
    B. interest pursuant to s69 county courts act 1984 but limited to 1 year,being £xxx
    C. costs

Is the debt Statute Barred, no and i did have agreement with lowell for these accounts but failed to keep up with payments when not working

List any letters you have sent. i have not sent any letters

Any Other Information or Background Details:basically messed these accounts up around 5 years ago was suffering with depression at the time and failed to maintain any payments with the mobile contracts but the shop direct account became a matter of not paying them as they delivered expensive wardrobe and was damaged but they refused to take return of the item and wanted to offer compensation but i refused that so was at stand off while interest accumalated then they sold to dedt collection. i enterec into arrangement with lowell at big discount to settle these accounts then lost my job failed on a couple of payments so they removed are agreed discount and put back to the original amount i owed.

thanks in advance if anybody can help me im not sue what to do going forward
    Tags: None

First Acknowledge Claim

Then send a CCA Request to lowell portfolio ltd requesting a copy of the credit agreement with shop direct finance company ltd with reference xxxxxx and EE finance plc with reference xxxxx. Enclose wit each a £1 cheque or postal order. Write 'CCA 1974 STAT FEE ONLY' across the top of the front of each cheque/postal order.

Send a CPR 31.14 Request to lowell solicitors ltd with a copy of the CCA request and requesting copies of:

shop direct finance company ltd credit agreement with reference xxxxxx
    EE finance plc credit agreement with reference xxxxx
    Vodafone finance uk ltd agreement with reference xxxxx
    Notices of Default
    Notices of Assignment

Send Subject Access Request Letter to Shop Direct, Vodafone and EE for all the information they have on you and ask them when they sell a debt whether they send the notice of assignment or they allow the company buying the debt to do so on their behalf.

Finally before sending everything make copies for your records.

Hopefully you have all the information regarding the shop direct account dispute? As that amount is based on the faulty goods and was in dispute I might be wrong, but I believe Lowell bought all liabilities with the account, thus we might be in the position to actually counter claim against these parasites.

You were entitled to the goods delivered as described under the Consumer Rights Act and the offer of compensation is an admission they were not, so if Lowell have bought the liability their defence to a counter claim will be interesting as I bet their solicitors do zero Consumer Rights cases.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Im back in Court with Lowells in 3 weeks with an application for summary judgment. Their pleaded case probably makes no reference to a default notice, if thats the case then then their pleaded case for the shop direct element will be defective because a default notice is needed before they can pursue a claim
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

thank you for your reply.i have just copied some letters to send a cca request to lowell for each case and i will do the same to the solicitors for the cpr 31.14 request but as i read that request can i ask them for notices of default and notices of assignment as that is not mentioned in particulars of claim.

i will also send subject access request letter to all 3 companies but worried i am running out of time with all this feling abit stressed at the minute,to top it off my printer is broke so will need to buy one later tonight and get these printed off and sent in next couple of days

i am prepared to pay at some point as getting case struck out might be hard so if we can prolong the process while i work by butt off to get the money together if they do win a judgement i then have 30 days to pay to stop the ccj going on my credit report

Comment

If you did the first thing I told you to you have until 4pm on Tuesday 25th February 2020 to file a defence, which is plenty of time.*

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

You can ask for Notices of Assignment because they state each was assigned to the claimant, but as Paul points out they are not pleading that you were sent default notices and you can’t ask for those as a result.*

As Paul also points out that is a good thing.

Comment

yes thank you i did as you said and acknowledged the claim online so i now have the extra 14 days meaning 28 days in total to file a defence not really got any idea how to defend this though as i have no information about the accounts to use as defence but im going to try my best

i have got a new printer so will get these letters printed off and sent out tomorrow possibly friday,should i send by recorded delivery and i will have to figure how to sort a postal order never done one of those before.

thanks

Comment

You have 33 days, 28 days plus 5 days for service.*

Postal Order is easy, just go to the post office counter and ask for them, they’ll ask who to make it payable and then take cash or a card payment for them.

Don’t worry, we’ll see what comes back and then be able to concoct a Defence from there.*

If you haven’t heard anything in 10 days, come back here and give this thread an update, then you can start using the template Defence from here to draft it.

Comment

Hi all i have had update from lowell solicitors got the letter today with with a credit agreement and statement for the shop direct account and a statement for the ee account and they said they have requested a statement from Vodafone.
                  They basically say they confirm receipt of my correspondence snd say they received this from there client so send all future to them and say the confirm receipt of acknowledgment of service and appropriate action has been taken.also say that in relation* to ee and Vodafone accounts there are telecommunications matters so are not regulated by consumers credit act*
                  I will upload more info when on laptop later but seems they have the info they need for shop direct account but have basically just sent my final bill from ee account will most likely get the same for the Vodafone as they say they are getting g the stateme.not sure what to do really as I haven't heard anything else back from the letters I sent yet? Just this from there solicitors*

Comment

Well they're going to have a pretty hard time arguing in court that a company they have listed in their Particulars of Claim with the word 'Finance' as part of their name does not provide credit and that your agreement isn't covered by a credit agreement.

You will defend on the grounds that the shop direct account is not owing because the original creditor has never served a default notice contrary to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.87 which is compliant with s.88. You'll defend the EE part on the basis that you requested a copy of the credit agreement with EE Finance, but the claimant refuses to provide one claiming that the services provided by a finance company are not covered by the CCA 1974. You'll defend the Vodafone part on the basis you asked for a copy of the contract you entered into, the claimant has confirmed they cannot provide it and how can a court rule on the terms of a contract, any breach of said terms, rights of cancellation and any penalties/monies owing without seeing the terms allegedly entered into. And if in fact it were the case EE Finance Plc didn't provide credit, that this would also apply to that alleged contract.

On all counts you'll say you requested notices of assignment (you didn't say they have sent them) which have not been provided and pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925 s.136 in the absence of copies of the Notices of Assignment from Shop Direct, EE Finance and Vodafone you dispute the legal right of the claimant to bring the claim.

Start with the Example Defence and tailor it to your situation, post a draft here for review with identifying information removed.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and I am sorry for the delay...I will draft my response this evening and post for it tobe checked over by tomorrow had unexpected bereavement in the family and this went to back of my mind.

I can add that I have received very limited info back from all the requests I made nothing new has come from my last post so will drop up a defence from your advice and thanks to all for your help

Comment

hi i am just looking to submit my defence but realised its 34 days am i to late or will they still accept

Comment

get on line and submit see what happens now

Comment

I am going to submit this evening my defence ain't the best but worth a shot

Comment

I defend the claim made against on the basis that i have never received all documents from original creditors or the claimants solicitors so i have limited evidence to work with .It is denied that shop direct finance served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.
                              I have requested agreements and notices of assignment for accounts held with ee finance plc and Vodafone finance uk ltd but had no documentation sent regarding these accounts and without the contracts present i am unable to defend myself against the term and conditions of the contract
                              On all counts i requested notices of assignment which have not been provided and pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925 s.136 in the absence of copies of the Notices of Assignment from Shop Direct, EE Finance and Vodafone i dispute the legal right of the claimant to bring the claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X