• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

From today's Times:

Banks buckle under deluge of loan insurance complaints

Big banks are being flooded with thousands of customer complaints about payment protection insurance and are managing to settle only very few cases, according to industry sources.

One large bank is understood to have received almost 7,000 complaints in a single week recently, and had settled fewer than ten cases.
    Industry insiders said that the banks were struggling to increase workforces and other resources, such as IT systems. Nonetheless, banks are doubling or tripling their complaints-handling staff in Britain, increasing the total employed across the industry by thousands in an attempt to meet the flood of complaints.

One insider said that the level of claims coming through the door was “an enormous challenge”, adding that one big problem was that banks were trying to employ significant numbers of staff from the same relatively limited talent pool.

An option being considered by some banks is to sign outsourcing contracts with Indian companies to keep costs under control and to deal with the level of complaints. Such a move might be considered controversial because some decisions about PPI mis-selling are complex and may not be resolved easily by external contractors.

There is a possibility, too, that customers, who already believe that they have been mis-sold a product, find themselves caught up in a frustrating process to try to resolve the issue, financial insiders warned.

With a final compensation bill expected to be up to £8 billion, PPI is the biggest mis-selling scandal to have hit the banking industry. PPI was insurance intended to pay loan bills in the event of the policyholder losing earnings through ill-health or redundancy, but many people were unaware that they were paying for it or were sold policies when the fine print excluded them from ever claiming.

Late last year the Financial Services Authority ordered banks to apply new rules to how they sell products, requiring them not only to supply customers with documents stating the terms and conditions but also to talk them through the details.

The change, which applied to old and new policies, led to panic among the banks as it left them open to millions of mis-selling claims over PPI, triggering protracted legal action.

The banks abandoned their case only when Lloyds, the biggest PPI seller, broke ranks in May and walked away from the case, earmarking £3.2 billion to pay victims.

Because banks froze all work on compensation claims during the legal case, since May they have been swamped with historic and new claims.

The logjam makes the situation different from previous mis-selling problems, when banks have been able to increase their staff over time, industry sources said.

The FSA has already waived the normal rule stipulating a response to complaints within eight weeks, giving banks more breathing space to deal with PPI claims.

A rolling programme of deadlines has been introduced, with the first date of August 31 looming for decisions on complaints put on hold while banks pursued their court case.

The industry believes it will take about two years to clear the complaints.

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Question: If they uphold a complaint... Do they have to reduce the remaining payments on a loan..?

GE MONEY said sorry we mis-sold it to you, here is your refund yet still looking for the monthly loan payments including the amount paid for the PPI single premuim..?

Comment

Originally posted by mosten View Post
        Question: If they uphold a complaint... Do they have to reduce the remaining payments on a loan..?

GE MONEY said sorry we mis-sold it to you, here is your refund yet still looking for the monthly loan payments including the amount paid for the PPI single premuim..?
        Strictly to put you back in the position you would have been in without the policy then the premiums should be removed. How are they proposing to resolve the situation going forward as I cant imagine they would leave the insurance running, have they kept the payments the same and reduced the term?

If your not happy with their offer you always have the option to refer to FOS, I'm pretty sure they would look for payments to be resheduled.

Comment

Still no news from Bank of Scotland, they are even giving the FOS the runaround.
          M and S paid up on one but said they could find no evidence on two others, luckily I still had my copies and also came across another one on a "financial statement" so sent them off! Got a reply on Satrurday with the "We are looking into this" so it goes on!
          Quick enough to chase you when you have problems :beagle:
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

The appeal in the case of Harrison v Black Horse has been heard in the Court of Appeal and is awaiting judgment. Interestingly the Harrisons were represented by Brian Doctor QC who acted for the OFT in the first instance bank charges test case hearing.

Couple go to appeal court in battle over £10,500 'protection'

A COUPLE are fighting a groundbreaking Appeal Court battle claiming they were mis-sold payment protection insurance by a lender.

Elaine and Andrew Harrison's case is the first of its kind to go before the court.

The Ravenshead couple borrowed £60,000 from Black Horse Ltd in July 2006.

When they signed the deal they also agreed to a payment protection insurance policy from Lloyds TSB General Insurance Ltd.

The policy was sold to them by Black Horse, which, acting as an agent for its related insurance firm, recommended the optional cover.

When they paid off the loan in March 2009, they had paid more than £10,500 for the cover, which protected their loan repayments if they were unable to meet them due to illness.

Out of that sum, Black Horse were paid commission of more than £8,800 - about 87 per cent of the cost of the PPI - which was something they hadn't told Mr and Mrs Harrison about when they took out the insurance, judges heard. The couple went to Worcester County Court and then Manchester Mercantile Court in a bid for damages, claiming they were mis-sold the policy.

The court heard from an expert that the policy was expensive, and that similar cover could have been obtained elsewhere for about £2,000.

But their claim was rejected, first by a district judge and then by Judge Waksman QC in November last year.

Mr and Mrs Harrison have now taken their fight to the Court of Appeal where they are arguing that the failure of Black Horse to disclose the high level of commission the firm would receive for selling the PPI resulted in an "unfair relationship" between lender and borrower.

Their lawyers argued that, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, they were entitled to money back.

Brian Doctor, QC, acting for the couple, said: "The claimants did not have an informed choice, and did not have their eyes open, owing to the non-disclosure of the commission."

Nicholas Elliott, QC, for Black Horse, urged the judges to uphold the previous decisions, saying the Harrisons were told the PPI was optional and could be cancelled and they were under no obligation to buy it.

The Master of the Rolls, Lord Neuberger, Lord Justice Patten and Lord Justice Tomlinson reserved judgment on the case until an unspecified date.

Couple go to appeal court in battle over Pounds 10,500 | Nottingham Evening Post | Find Articles at BNET

Comment

Just thought I'd make everyone aware that FOS have now informed me that all banks are now allowed 8 weeks to actually make payment from the date of your signed agreement to settlement

:tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Well that is not what the Blackhorse are saying on their web site. They state 16 weeks so a bit of a difference. Also notice it does not say payment at that point it says a full response. They are dragging it out far too long IMOH. A good idea would be to check your banks web site to see what they have posted up by way of an announcement like the Lloyds one below. When you do receive those letters make sure that you are being properly reimbursed and put back to a position as if that PPI cover was not in place.

If we received your complaint before 06 May 2011, we will provide a full response as soon as possible, and no later than the end of August 2011.
                If we received your complaint on or after 06 May 2011, we will provide a full response as soon as possible, and no later than within 16 weeks

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                Just thought I'd make everyone aware that FOS have now informed me that all banks are now allowed 8 weeks to actually make payment from the date of your signed agreement to settlement

Last edited by TUTTSI; 26th July 2011, 07:16:AM. Reason: added

Comment

Sorry Tuttsi, what I said may have been misleading

The 8 weeks is once they agree to make payment -

So 16 weeks to reach a final decision (Yes/No to compensation)

Then a further 8 weeks to actually pay you from that point!

Direct quote from FOS "our service feels that the eight week timescale is reasonable"
                  Last edited by ncf355; 26th July 2011, 08:11:AM.

Comment

Actually they have 16 weeks to have communicated a full response to the complainant.
                    Probably important not to refer to it as compensation as in fact it is only a refund with interest, the only compensation can be awarded by a FOS handled complaint and that is usually between £300-£500.

On the eight weeks to pay out, that feels like a good thing, as they have to pay interest up to the very point they issue the refund, so more money in the complainants bank account.

Also they don't need to take eight weeks, they are though allowed a maximum of eight weeks, I got one the other day within three days and to be honest I woudl have rather they took eight weeks as I woudl have got another hundred quid.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesouth33 View Post
                      Actually they have 16 weeks to have communicated a full response to the complainant.
                      Probably important not to refer to it as compensation as in fact it is only a refund with interest, the only compensation can be awarded by a FOS handled complaint and that is usually between £300-£500.

On the eight weeks to pay out, that feels like a good thing, as they have to pay interest up to the very point they issue the refund, so more money in the complainants bank account.

Also they don't need to take eight weeks, they are though allowed a maximum of eight weeks, I got one the other day within three days and to be honest I woudl have rather they took eight weeks as I woudl have got another hundred quid.

The 8 weeks was only agreed in the last few days from what I can make out

I dont see it as a good thing when I and many others like me have waited for over 18 months to achieve an agreement to pay and then have to wait for another (ok, "up to") 8 weeks to get the payout, which in RBS' case will probably be cheque so I'll then have4 to wait for that to clear

Also I doubt the 8 weeks is in anyway enforceable by FOS (the 4 weeks wasnt) and I also believe they (as in most banks, not RBS in particular) will take every opportunity to take it up to the day of the 8 weeks, as they seem to be doing (in a lot of cases) with the 16 week initial timeline

It's a P take, straight and simple

Comment

Originally posted by mosten View Post

They should, if the loan is currently active, also re calculate the loan as if it was without PPI which should reduce your loan payments but not the term.
                        That is how the FOS would decide based on their own manner of calculating redress.
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The 8 weeks was only agreed in the last few days from what I can make out

I dont see it as a good thing when I and many others like me have waited for over 18 months to achieve an agreement to pay and then have to wait for another (ok, "up to") 8 weeks to get the payout, which in RBS' case will probably be cheque so I'll then have4 to wait for that to clear

Also I doubt the 8 weeks is in anyway enforceable by FOS (the 4 weeks wasnt) and I also believe they (as in most banks, not RBS in particular) will take every opportunity to take it up to the day of the 8 weeks, as they seem to be doing (in a lot of cases) with the 16 week initial timeline

It's a P take, straight and simple
                          The 8 weeks to pay settlement from receipt of the acceptance is in no way new. It is something the FOS have referred to fairly consistently throughout the last 2years in my personal experience. I do recall that at one stage they increased this to 12 weeks for the likes of Lloyds and Black Horse but otherwise the 8 weeks has certainly been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by skv123 View Post
                            The 8 weeks to pay settlement from receipt of the acceptance is in no way new. It is something the FOS have referred to fairly consistently throughout the last 2years in my personal experience. I do recall that at one stage they increased this to 12 weeks for the likes of Lloyds and Black Horse but otherwise the 8 weeks has certainly been around for a long time.

Hi SKV,

in the letter sent to me last week (Friday) acknowledging my signed acceptance, FOS clearly stated they would get involved if the payout had not been received in 4 weeks

Comment

Yes, the FOS told me this at their recent seminar and have confirmed it in writing. They also said that the end of August deadline was to accept or reject the complaint only and a further eight weeks would be allowed to pay. Roll on Christmas!
                              JDEH

Comment

Originally posted by JDEH View Post
                                Yes, the FOS told me this at their recent seminar and have confirmed it in writing. They also said that the end of August deadline was to accept or reject the complaint only and a further eight weeks would be allowed to pay. Roll on Christmas!
                                JDEH

Totally and utterly scandalous for an organisation that is supposed to be supporting the consumer

Seems a court case is the way to go if you have a strong case!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X