• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letters from DCA's - Some sample letters you may have received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Letters from DCA's - Some sample letters you may have received

Originally posted by mr.ton View Post
    I've lost count of the amount of DCA threatograms ive had over the years.
    My very first ones were from Moorcroft & Wescot back around 1997/1998.
    Ive had hundreds more since that time and not one has taken me anywhere near a court - speaks for itself really.
    Ton, these might be collectibles, even classics by now.

Post some up for true connoisseur's of the DCA art style to enjoy!

Comment

Yes, some of the early ones are most interesting...

But, now they have to be a little more careful and;
      could lose their consumer credit licence.

In fact, many will!

Comment

Interesting....the evolution of DCA letters.... but is there a comparable evolution of the DCAs? And, if so, where on the DCA (thats DCA, not DNA) evolution chart are they now?

Comment

Re: Allied International Credit - Heres another one

Originally posted by Crispybacon View Post
          This one is slightly more SERIOUS as there were lots of words typed in CAPS AND BOLD and in RED. Rememeber AIC handed my account back to the OC.....

COURT PROCEEDINGS

"The Legal Department at Allied International Credit (UK) Limited (AIC) have reviewed your account. As you have still failed to contact us or make a payment their intention is to consider commencing legal proceedings against you via your local County/Sheriff Court for full recovery of the outstanding balance.

To prevent this action and to bring your account to a successful conclusion AIC are prepared to make an offer of settlement to you. To take advantage of this you must contact us immediately. This account will be reviewed again by the Legal Department within 5 days of this postmark. If you choose to ignore this letter the appropriate paperwork may be lodged with your County/Sheriff Court.

Please be advised that should any successful legal action take place the relevant solicitors fees/court costs will be added and your credit status could be adversely affected."

I like this letter for a couple of reasons:

1) I didn't receive the letter from AIC until 2 weeks after the postmark. So much for their Legal Department (again note capital letters) reviewing after 5 days.

2) I wrote to them and asked them to put their offer in writing. They refused and asked me to call them.

So as far as I was concerned this was nothing more than an exercise to get me to call them where they could put pressure on or get me to confirm my phone number at 'security' (which they didn't have) so they could then harrass me all hours of the day!

Crispy

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

Feel free! I think you may have a few more to add than me!!

Best

Crispy

Oh yes!!!

I think they need to be put in context with the 'mays' and 'mights' and 'coulds'.

Not to mention most DCA's Legal Departments being the desk by the toilet...!

Best

Crispy

Absolutely! Unfortunately I have to use the scanner in the office which is a problem as I'm only there a couple of times a week and then have the nosey office manager watching what I'm doing!!

Their Office could be an Open Office?

Comment

Now thats just 'toilet' humour msl:

Comment

paperless too

Comment

DCAs just send bulk, 'bog' standard letters

Comment

Hi All

Apologies for starting this thread up and then just 'dumping' it!

I was hoping to get round to scanning letters over the Xmas holidays but the last 6 weeks I have been really busy with work and as the old saying goes 'make hay while the sun shines' etc....

So I have been really busy, hence the lack of posts, doing lots of O/T which is only going to help my financial situation when this starts to filter through.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, just wanted to say I haven't forgotten about this and will put aside an hour a week now to start uploading these gems of entertainment from my DCA friends.

Hope you're all well

Crispy

Comment

Glad you bumped this as I have a Moorcroft Classic to post up later.
                    Mind you my scanners busted so you'll just have the text

Comment

I'll try and get my head round technology and see if I can post up some of the thousands I have here. May be particularly interesting if we're going to scan them to follow through the chain of letters so you can see them getting more and more threatening / desperate each time they write.

Also, should perhpas mention as it has not been mentioned so far as I can see - some of these letters are serious. Never ignore ones about court action etc.... They are not all lame threats!

Comment

AIC - Assignment Letter

Hi Folks

Heres an 'assignment' letter from AIC. This is what my thoughts are on this:

1) I had already been making payments to them for almost 8 months when they sent this out.

2) I had already been defaulted by the OC and had the CC account cancelled so how was anything going to make my credit rating worse or making larger payments going to have a positive effect on my account? DOH!

3) And as for them telling me what I can afford to pay towards this debt?! (After receiving my I/E info at least 4 times at this point)!!

Comment

AIC Warning

This is another letter from AIC. Points to note on this one:

1) The big WARNING in caps and bold to make it look more official and serious

2) I was made fully aware of the consequences? No I wasn't! I was bullied into a payment agreement I couldn't afford and the ONLY letter I received from them was confirmation of the arrangement.

3) I have no real interest in paying the outstanding balance? AIC had at this point received 4 letters with my Income/Expenditure and a payment plan on how this would be repaid not forgetting the fact they had been receiving payments every month for almost a year. Hardly demonstrates 'no real interest' does it?

4) If I do not call them immediately (note the word immediately meant to add a note of urgency to the whole proceedings) the account may be passed to the Legal Department. Note the word 'may' they do not say 'may not'. Also see how they capitalise Legal Department to add some gravitas to the term.

5) They say that the Legal Department will consider instigating proceedings against me. Let me consider that. Hang on, I need to consider that some more.

6) They mention that successful (They do not mention that they may be unsuccessful!) litigation could result in certain actions. Attachment/Arrestment of earnings and Freezing of Bank Accounts for consumer debt?! This is so rare and so likely to be granted by a Judge its untrue! Not to mention that successful litigation would have to follow a CCJ being granted and then defaulted for any of their possible actions to happen.

7) As for looking forward to my call. I never made it and AIC handed back the account to AMEX. Says everything you need to know.

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                          Mind you my scanners busted so you'll just have the text
                          Hi CB

No worries - As you may have noticed I now have one!

Crispy
                          Last edited by Crispybacon; 6th January 2011, 13:08:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Newmans 72 Hours Notice of Court Proceedings

Letter from Newmans Debt Collection Agents

Things to note on this one:

1) The big COURT PROCEEDINGS heading. Intended to frighten you into thinking that court proceedings are about to take place.

2) 72 hours to pay or make arrangements to pay?! Hardly a reasonable amount of time is it? Especially considering I didn't actually receive the letter until 10 days after it was dated.

3) Still notice that failure to contact them in 72 hours may result in court proceedings being issued. Strange that after almost 3 months nothing has happened yet.

4) Notice the use of CAPS to draw attention and highlight the more dramatic words in the letter. Notice that they do not use CAPS for the word MAY.

Comment

Total Credit Management - 7 day notice of legal proceedings

This is one of my favourites. Where do you start with this one?!

1) This DCA hold a Consumer Credit License but there are no company address details, CCL license details on the letter at all. Naughty, very naughty.

2) The use of red to highlight the 7 days notice

3) Asking to call a mobile phone number (possible premium rate) against OFT guidelines

4) Threatening possible actions that are just not legally possible (bankruptsy, winding up order, third party debt order)

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                                I'll try and get my head round technology and see if I can post up some of the thousands I have here. May be particularly interesting if we're going to scan them to follow through the chain of letters so you can see them getting more and more threatening / desperate each time they write.

Also, should perhpas mention as it has not been mentioned so far as I can see - some of these letters are serious. Never ignore ones about court action etc.... They are not all lame threats!
                                Thanks Casper

Regards the Court Action bit, there is a problem that almost all DCA threat-o-grams make statements about Court action, and you're not going to respond to these.

So its important to know the context in which the letter has been sent, and which stage you may be in the 'Collection Process' before worrying about threats of court action.

Best

Crispy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X