• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

may I suggest, the OP contacts the ICO and gives themselves a timescale, say.. 14days, if they hear nothing back by that time, then they contact the press?

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
      may I suggest, the OP contacts the ICO and gives themselves a timescale, say.. 14days, if they hear nothing back by that time, then they contact the press?
      I disagree strongly, Puff. Investigations do, unfortunately, take time. The reason for this is because as you investigate one thing, other things come to light and you have to investigate them as well, unless another LEA has responsibility for investigation. In a case such as this, ICO are going to need to find out just how careless the bailiff company has been, whether anyone whose personal information they have handled has suffered any consequential loss as a result of the bailiff company's carelessness, whether the information has fallen into the hands of "bin skimmers", those who steal people's personal information from sifting through rubbish and then selling it criminals in exchange for cash or drugs... I could go on.

I still agree strongly with Labman. The OP needs to hand the matter over to the ICO and let them deal with it. The Press will get the story from the ICO's Press Office sooner or later.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

you know more than i do hun

Comment

Terrible as it may sound, there are people in this world who do things like what I've highlighted in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
            I disagree strongly, Puff. Investigations do, unfortunately, take time. The reason for this is because as you investigate one thing, other things come to light and you have to investigate them as well, unless another LEA has responsibility for investigation. In a case such as this, ICO are going to need to find out just how careless the bailiff company has been, whether anyone whose personal information they have handled has suffered any consequential loss as a result of the bailiff company's carelessness, whether the information has fallen into the hands of "bin skimmers", those who steal people's personal information from sifting through rubbish and then selling it criminals in exchange for cash or drugs... I could go on.

I still agree strongly with Labman. The OP needs to hand the matter over to the ICO and let them deal with it. The Press will get the story from the ICO's Press Office sooner or later.
            Nonsense , they are entrusted with personal information, it should not be dumped or binned it shroud be shredded or burned, it is a disgrace and needs to be shown up.

Also it is in the first instance a matter for the police, the same as any other criminal offense, even if it is only suspected, the police will decide if there is a case, and who will enforce this is what they do. i have had this confirmed by a real serving officer, who has expressed an interest in this, as i say, i don't expect anyone to believe me and he is perfectly willing to confirm it himself i will give anyone his contact details if you pm me.( he may want your real name though).

It is not up to a member of the public to decide who will enforce a criminal offence, it is not a civil matter it is an offence against the crown and the police enforce these, you would expect an ex police officer to know this.

You suspect a crime you go to the police, it really isn't rocket science.

As for going to the press, like i said i most certainly would, this is a matter of choice of course, but experience tells me that things tend to get done far quicker and with far greater vigor when they are under public scrutiny, this is pretty obvious if you ask me.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
              I disagree strongly, Puff. Investigations do, unfortunately, take time..
              What happened to" best not mention this to the press because it is better to take them by surprise"

Peter

Comment

Peter,

There are times when your logic baffles me. This is one such occasion. I was stating a fact, based on experience. Also, we don't know if anything the OP found is "case-sensitive", i.e. relevant to any case currently being pursued or in the early stages of being prepared. The ICO is the correct law enforcement agency to contact, in the first instance. If they then consider it is a matter for another or other law enforcement agencies (LEAs) and not them, then it is their duty to point the OP in the direction of those LEAs. If it is a purely DPA matter, then, that is a matter for the ICO. I would have thought that with the Leveson Enquiry currently under way, it would be ill-advised to hand very sensitive information to journalists. The Press is under the spotlight because of the actions of a number of irresponsible journalists and the last thing they need is something like you are advocating giving the politicians ammunition with which to restrict freedom of free expression. You speak of freedom of speech in an earlier post. I am a firm supporter of free speech and it is a precious commodity, but it comes with responsibilities. That needs to be remembered.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
                  Nonsense , they are entrusted with personal information, it should not be dumped or binned it shroud be shredded or burned, it is a disgrace and needs to be shown up.

Also it is in the first instance a matter for the police, the same as any other criminal offense, even if it is only suspected, the police will decide if there is a case, and who will enforce this is what they do. i have had this confirmed by a real serving officer, who has expressed an interest in this, as i say, i don't expect anyone to believe me and he is perfectly willing to confirm it himself i will give anyone his contact details if you pm me.( he may want your real name though).

It is not up to a member of the public to decide who will enforce a criminal offence, it is not a civil matter it is an offence against the crown and the police enforce these, you would expect an ex police officer to know this.

You suspect a crime you go to the police, it really isn't rocket science.

As for going to the press, like i said i most certainly would, this is a matter of choice of course, but experience tells me that things tend to get done far quicker and with far greater vigor when they are under public scrutiny, this is pretty obvious if you ask me.

Peter
                  Sorry Peter, but i'm afraid I don't agree with you on this at all.

In my brief stay as a Police Officer for Gloucestershire Constabulary, someone bringing something like this in would barely merit much action.

As and when an officer actually got around to doing something about it, it would eventually (if at all) get passed onto the ICO.

What with targets and expectations of officers, dealing with suspected Data protection problems wouldn't feature highly on the target list.... ever!

It would most likely either have no further action taken, or, if the officer was sufficiently bored enough that they didn't have more pressing matters to deal with and was actually in a position to remember it after flipping through their contemporaneous notes in their notebook, might even not know that its an offence of any sort (local plods are generally quite clued up on all the usual everyday stuff, Data Protection problems outside of their own Data Protection responsibilities wouldn't be one of them), and simply pass it on, or seek advice from someone else as to what to do with it.

I feel it is FULLY justified to ensure that kind of thing doesn't happen, by ensuring that its passed directly to the people that CAN and WILL do something about it, and also instigate a Police investigation if necessary, which I can assure you carries a lot more weight coming from the office of the ICO than it does from a member of Joe Public. Thats not particularly fair, but its generally the way it works out.

The Police then would have no option but to investigate or arrest based on the investigation of the ICO, and that way, the Bailiff and Bailiff company gets whats due them, and not the potential to get off scott free.

Without wanting to sound condescending, the Police do not get everything 100% right all the time, and on occasions, going directly to the body that deals with this is better, as it will then get the proper respect when its then passed onto the Police.

Consider this, where would you rather that data went? To the far more experienced ICO, or, to a Constable who hasn't even completed their two year probationary period, who is still getting their head around what is or isn't an arrestable offence, getting forms filled out correctly, dealing with muggers, car thieves, shop lifters, abusive parents, abusive kids, arsonists, etc, etc..... but has absolutely no experience of Data Protection abuses whatsoever?

Comment

Hi
                    You have material that could be use to commit a crime, what do you do, you call the police.

The fact that they may or may not have much experience in the matter is irrelevant and not for you to decide, who else would you give the evidence over to.

This is not a civil matter where you get to chose if you want to take someone to court or not, if you suspect a crime has been committed it is your duty to report it to the police.

Personally i do not think the ICO will be inserted anyway, they usually respond to complaints from the data subject not a third party, i suspect they would refer you to the police.
                    Last edited by Sapphire; 28th May 2012, 08:17:AM. Reason: Removed insulting behaviour and reported it

Comment

Peteri take it your not best friends with Bluebottle at the moment?
                      Surely the point of this forum is for people to offer advice and help to those who find themselves in a situation they are not familiar with and try to support them not turn it into a bun fight.Having read hundreds of posts many from yourself and Bluebottle amongst others i have found some excellent advice learn rules and laws i never knew existed and discovered how some so called human beings prey on the weak and vulnerable. Every post has some content that can be helpful while some which turn int online veal fights dont in my humble opinion dont PLEASE everone keep answering posts even just knowing someone has been through your problem helps i shall keep reading with interest and with the knowledge gained hope my problems if and when they come to a head are not unsurmountable
                      Thanks everone

Comment

Guys..
                        I freely admit this is over my head but... may I point out while we are all name calling and pointing the finger at each other, the OP is reading this thinking that we have all gone back to our baby days, and that it might not have been their best idea coming here in the first place!

Can we please all stop with the playground arguements and concerntrate on what is best for the OP, which is an answer to their problem.

What is the best option to deal with finding out DPA sensitive information? So far the majority say go to the ICO and report it.

I'm sorry to come down the heavy mam routine here people, but I respect all of you far too much to let you all make yourselves look childish on a forums.. which atm it is becoming.

Comment

Among these forms are scraps of paper with hand-written notes detailing credit/debit card details (including start dates, end dates, security numbers)

Merchants who require the CVV2 for "card not present" transactions are forbidden in the USA by Visa from storing the CVV2 once the individual transaction is authorized and completed. This way, if a database of transactions ishe CVV2 is not included, and the stolen card numbers are less useful. and do not store the CVV2 code, therefore employees and customer service representatives with access to these web-based payment interfaces who otherwise have access to complete card numbers, expiration dates, and other information still lack the CVV2 code.
                          The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) also prohibits the storage of CSC (and other sensitive authorisation data) post transaction authorisation. This applies globally to anyone who stores, processes or transmits card holder data.Since the CSC is not contained on the magnetic stripe of the card, it is not typically included in the transaction when the card is used face to face at a merchant. However, some merchants in North America, such as and , require the code. For cards, this has been an invariable practice (for "card not present" transactions) in European Union (EU) states like Ireland and the United Kingdom since the start of 2005. This provides a level of protection to the bank/cardholder, in that a fraudulent merchant or employee cannot simply capture the magnetic stripe details of a card and use them later for "card not present" purchases over the phone, mail order or Internet. To do this, a merchant or its employee would also have to note the CVV2 visually and record it, which is more likely to arouse the cardholder's suspicion.
                          Supplying the CSC code in a transaction is intended to verify that the customer has the card in their possession. Knowledge of the code proves that the customer has seen the card, or has seen a record made by somebody who saw the card.
                          Last edited by Sapphire; 1st June 2012, 08:35:AM. Reason: deleted the links

Comment

I can't repeat this enough this issue is not a criminal act until ruled so by a Court no matter how much people don't like the idea of it not being one.....as I said I have been down this exact route.......I had an offence having been committed but not considered serious enough by the ICO to be prosectuted.
                            Both my [partners credit file and mine were copied from the data base of Equifax by a certain Bank who neither of us had EVER had anything to do with........ without both us & Equifax knowing anything about it then the Bank that had copied the files stated under an SDAR request that they held no information on us as we were not customers of theirs........I had the evidence given me by Equifax who did a DEEP search of their system until they found out who it was........NO-ONE did a thing about it.
                            THe record showed on Equifax data base as a Management search that does not record the reason for the search.......it was on this " search" the files were copied into hard copies and passed on.....so don't hold yopur breath about anyone doing anything about this issue

Sparkie

Comment

Guys please try to keep to the subject in hand and help the OP, if you must start throwing accusations and insults about then please keep it away from the thread, its not big, its not clever and its certainly not helpful.
                              Anymore of this and I will put you on moderation.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

Well, it's not much of one as the ICO were supposed to call me back on Monday! I'll give them until Friday when I've got a little time to pursue the matter and, if I still get no joy then, I'll be back to consult the oracle that is this forum!

Thanks to everyone for your input, I genuinely appreciate it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X