• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
    Personally i do not agree.If an ordinary member of the public found something that could be used in a criminal act he would report it to the police, most people have never heard of the ICO.
    Therein lies your problem. An ordinary member of the public with no knowledge of the ICO, fine, take it to a police station. However Skally is no longer that, as they now know about the ICO, I provided the name and a phone number, Bluebottle followed by concurring and providing a website URL. The ICO is the way to approach this abuse of the DPA.

Going to the press would potentially jeopardise the probity of any investigation, and that should not be risked, especially as any outcome is quite likely to end up being published in the press in due time anyway.

Skally, for what it's worth, I think you're doing the correct thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
      You can't miss an ICO Investigation Team going into a premises. They wear black jackets with ICO in white on the back with a load of hairy-arsed coppers in tow!
      HAHAHA! Awesome! Will they roll over car bonnets and stuff too??!! Heeheehee!!

Comment

Skally

Well done for removing such sensitive data from a vulnerable place.

It is absolutely outrageous that such data has been abused in this manner.

Please contact the ICO tomorrow. They will definitely be extremely interested to investigate this robustly.

I work for a local authority and we were recently slapped very hard by the ICO for failing to secure digital data being carried on laptops. The consequences have been extremely harsh but appropriate given the seriousness of the consequence of data loss.

When speaking to the ICO, make them fully aware that you have reported the matter to Legal Beagles Consumer Forum who will be following the development of this case very closely.

Can you please PM me the name of the bailiff firm and the town/city this happened in. Naturally I would be very keen to back you in this complaint to the ICO.

Cel x
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Vision.......all the prying eyes to the bailiff forum ie: bailiffs..running around like headless chickens all night to try and find out if it's their head on the block....sweet dreams..ohhh yesssss

Pepsie

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
            When speaking to the ICO, make them fully aware that you have reported the matter to Legal Beagles Consumer Forum who will be following the development of this case very closely.
            I most certainly will, and I'll continue posting on this thread so you can all nod knowingly when this bailiff is splashed across the news after the ICO expose them!!!

Comment

well i have an idea..

Skally knows who the baillifs are, so we send a video camera and Skally, from a discrete and safe location, videos all the fun!!

Then we all can enjoy watching the baillifs having their doors kicked in, instead of threatening OAPs with kicking theirs in!

Comment

Originally posted by puffrose View Post
                well i have an idea..

Skally knows who the baillifs are, so we send a video camera and Skally, from a discrete and safe location, videos all the fun!!

Then we all can enjoy watching the baillifs having their doors kicked in, instead of threatening OAPs with kicking theirs in!
                I'M IN!!!! It'll be better than any episode of "You've Been Framed" you've ever seen EVER!!! =0D x

Comment

Lets see what ICO say, i think they generally persue a civil remedy dont they, not many hairy policemen more a matter of a nasty letter.

I still feel that there is a danger of them saying OK leave it with us and then ringing them and saying very naughty , don't do it again. Yes they have given huge fines, but only in very exceptional circumstances, and lets face it , how many times have people on these forums had a positive result from making complaint to them or the OFT for that matter.

Now if there was a little media attention , it should i think be different, it always has been , i remind everyone again of the MP expenses issues and a thousand other incidents where the press have forced the authorities to take action.

I am still firmly of the opinion that the first stop should have been to the police station, apart from the DPA, there is the meens here for credit card fraud identity theft and many other crimes, the police should have been made aware.

I don't really understand the concept of "taking them by surprise" does anyone really think that the ICO work by dropping people from helicopters, it will be a letter or at the most a phone call, they will have plenty of time to prepare an excuse , of course.

Peter
                  Last edited by Mr.Peterbard; 25th May 2012, 08:47:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                    Therein lies your problem. An ordinary member of the public with no knowledge of the ICO, fine, take it to a police station. However Skally is no longer that, as they now know about the ICO, I provided the name and a phone number, Bluebottle followed by concurring and providing a website URL. The ICO is the way to approach this abuse of the DPA.

Going to the press would potentially jeopardise the probity of any investigation, and that should not be risked, especially as any outcome is quite likely to end up being published in the press in due time anyway.

Skally, for what it's worth, I think you're doing the correct thing.

NO i thnk there is a perfectly straightforward method of dealing with this , go to the police and let them investigate.

The idea that reporting this to the press would somehow make the prosecution less effective is obviously incorrect, public pressure has always excellence action in my experience, and also stopped it just being filed away and sweped under the carpet.

It may be of course that the press arnt interested.
                    I spoke to a serving police officer this morning(About five minutes ago) he works at Tameside nick in Ashton under lyne) i will give anyone his name if they PM me.
                    He said that if something like this is discovered the public have a duty to report it to the police.

So there you go

Peter

Comment

Been trying ICO for about an hour now. They're a busy lot, aren't they?!

Keep you posted!

Comment

Can I clarify exactly the type of details it has, ie name address phone number National Insurance number amount of debt etc etc?

I have a few press emails that I might ask if they are interested in a story of that nature
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

THe police will only investigate a crimal offence being committed or been committed...this issue is only deemed criminal when a Court rules it is.....the ICO has the power under section 55 of the DPA to take the matter to Court to have it deemed a criminal offence ........until that time it is not a criminal offence.............in exactly the same way as trading without a CCA licence under the CCA Act 1974. The Act says its an offence but it only becomes a criminal offence if & when the Courts rule it so
                          Believe me I know that as I have been through it all ........CCA licence trading and....... DPA enforcement action.

Sparkie

Comment

Hi

I find the best approach is to give it to your local rag they usually fax any interesting stories to the regional and then hopefully the nationals pick it up some time later.

Of course as i say they may not be interested but i would definitely give it a shot.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie1723 View Post
                              THe police will only investigate a crimal offence being committed or been committed...this issue is only deemed criminal when a Court rules it is.....the ICO has the power under section 55 of the DPA to take the matter to Court to have it deemed a criminal offence ........until that time it is not a criminal offence.............in exactly the same way as trading without a CCA licence under the CCA Act 1974. The Act says its an offence but it only becomes a criminal offence if & when the Courts rule it so
                              Believe me I know that as I have been through it all ........CCA licence trading and....... DPA enforcement action.

Sparkie
                              Sorry the "police only investigates when a court rules it criminal"......, how does any one get into court in the first place..........
                              If you found a gun and took it into the police station,.........they would just turn you away i suppose,........ unless you could show it has been involved in a shooting?

This information is the stuff dreams are made for some crook........ i thought the police were involved in crime prevention. Fortunately so do they.

The police will refer the mater to the relevant authority i am sure.....it is what they do.

Peter......

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
                                Sorry the "police only investigates when a court rules it criminal"......, how does any one get into court in the first place..........
                                If you found a gun and took it into the police station,.........they would just turn you away i suppose,........ unless you could show it has been involved in a shooting?

This information is the stuff dreams are made for some crook........ i thought the police were involved in crime prevention. Fortunately so do they.

The police will refer the mater to the relevant authority i am sure.....it is what they do.

Peter......
                                In that scenario they would confiscate the gun ask you a lot of questions and as gun crime comes within the remit of the police they would investigate to see if it had been used in a criminal offence if not no more would be said finding a gun is not a criminal offence.......having possession of one without a licence is deemed as one ..........................the data issues are the remit of the ICO...not the police............its a fact of life....as I have said .............been there done that worn the T shirt.

The act committed by those bailiffs is a breach of the Seventh Principle of said Act a breach of security which can be turned into a criminal offnece if prosecuted via the Courts by the ICO..........unless one takes out a private prosecution through the Majestrates Court......which is a very expensive way to go ..its the ICOs' job and the police would point you in that direction..they will not do it for you.

Sparkie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X