• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've found paperwork dumped by a bailiff!

Indeed Sparkie, and it will hit the press soon enough when they receive their fine.

At the end of the day, this is a reputable Consumer website, and it should and must be seen to be acting responsibly over these issues at all times. It is because it has a good reputation so many people come here and put their lives in the hands of regular posters.

Peter - behave yourself!

Comment

Personally i do not agree.If an ordinary member of the public found something that could be used in a criminal act he would report it to the police, most people have never heard of the ICO.

I thought it would be the job of the police to involve the appropriate authority.

I would have thought the important thing would be to get them out of your hands, the police station seems the best bet to me.

Peter
      Last edited by Mr.Peterbard; 24th May 2012, 20:38:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
        Indeed Sparkie, and it will hit the press soon enough when they receive their fine.

At the end of the day, this is a reputable Consumer website, and it should and must be seen to be acting responsibly over these issues at all times. It is because it has a good reputation so many people come here and put their lives in the hands of regular posters.

Peter - behave yourself!
        Whats irresponsible about reporting something to the press? Perfectly responsible, if it is true.

Its one of the few useful functions the press have, i would have no hesitation.

In fact if the OP would like to PM me his address i will do it for him.

Peter

Comment

The police would refer the person reporting it to the ICO in any case, Peter. Unless you find property that is the subject of a criminal investigation, the police aren't really going to be that interested. If the ICO tell the OP to take it to a named police station, that is another matter.

And please do not encourage someone to compromise a potential investigation by a law enforcement agency, Peter. It ain't clever.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
            The police would refer the person reporting it to the ICO in any case, Peter. Unless you find property that is the subject of a criminal investigation, the police aren't really going to be that interested. If the ICO tell the OP to take it to a named police station, that is another matter.

And please do not encourage someone to compromise a potential investigation by a law enforcement agency, Peter. It ain't clever.

HI BB

So if the OP took this stuff into a police station and told them what it was , they would just hand it him back and tell him to phone the ICO?

No wonder the country is in such a mess.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post

And please do not encourage someone to compromise a potential investigation by a law enforcement agency, Peter. It in't clever.
              No your right the tip off usually comes from the desk officer who is on a back-hander from the local rag.

Your not serious here are you.

Peter

Comment

Like I said, Peter, unless what the OP has found is relevant to a criminal investigation, the police are most likely to refer him to the ICO, who are the law enforcement agency (LEA) responsible for breaches of the DPA. The police have enough on their plate as it is. That's why the ICO deal with cases such as this.

Comment

I can see why the media option is very popular, but I'm happy with the bailiff and the company he works for being hauled over the coals for such a blatant disregard of their legal obligations. In my opinion, most people who have had involvement with bailiffs are already facing some sort of hardship so why should they face more hardship because someone couldn't be bothered to dispose of confidential waste properly?

I'll be calling ICO in the morning. You're all super duper people for helping me here!!! THANKS LOTS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skally View Post
                    I can see why the media option is very popular, but I'm happy with the bailiff and the company he works for being hauled over the coals for such a blatant disregard of their legal obligations. In my opinion, most people who have had involvement with bailiffs are already facing some sort of hardship so why should they face more hardship because someone couldn't be bothered to dispose of confidential waste properly?

I'll be calling ICO in the morning. You're all super duper people for helping me here!!! THANKS LOTS!!!
                    It's better to keep the bailiff and bailiff company in the dark - commonly-known as The Mushroom Syndrome - and let them have the shock of an ICO investigation team turning up, unannounced, at their offices. The media will get to hear about it via the ICO's Press Office. ICO like to make sure data users know what they'll do to them if they don't keep within the law. If anyone has suffered financial loss or identity theft as a result of the bailiff who dumped the documents you found, that is very serious and ICO could give the bailiff company a hammering.

Just as a matter of interest, which bailiff company is it, please?

Comment

Should I say who it is in a public forum? Surely that alone tips them off and I want the first they know about it to be this ICO Swat Team! Kx

Comment

I personally think there is a criminal element here and they are the relevant enforcement authority(REA), i also do not think that the average member of the public would for one minute think of going to the ICO.
                        As for going to the press. there is a little precedent, recently from Watergate all the way to the MP expenses, didn't seem to harm the investigation at all.

Peter

Comment

I have to admit I hadn't heard of ICO before (in fact, I haven't heard of most of the abbreviations here!)

Comment

Talk about dangling a carrot :tape:
                            If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

That's fine by us, Skally. You can't miss an ICO Investigation Team going into a premises. They wear black jackets with ICO in white on the back with a load of hairy-arsed coppers in tow!

Comment

Am I the only one reading this thinking please please please be the bailiff and company and LA I dealt with..............................

I hope the ICO kick some serious backside, and I'm just hoping it's 'my lot' that will be on the receiving end!! On a serious note, As someone who has had info with bailiffs this is a concern. Not that I have anything for someone to steal if they stole my identity and jolly good luck to them trying to get credit from anywhere :rofl:

Well done Skally for being a good citizen

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X