• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita Bailiffs, HELP ME PLEASE!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Equita Bailiffs, HELP ME PLEASE!!

I didnt open the door or anything i just hid, i felt so guilty on the kids too trying to make them be quiet. I just wish I could get them off case altogether.

Comment

There is nothing he can do until and unless you let him in - so continue to keep him out and you'll be fine.

He hasn't levied any of your goods has he?

Comment

He hasnt levied any goods no, i didnt even see him, he was just parked up outside with his engine running for 45 minutes. He hasnt seen the car neither because I've parked it a few roads away.

Comment

That's excellent.

Trust me, there is nothing he can do, so just ignore him and keep paying.

Comment

ok thanks Amy, I know you have told me before there is nothing he can do but I still get a bit freaked, especially when he is outside my door.

I have tried to pay the parking fine online to the council but it was refused and said they are not taking any payments on this account, my council tax is fine though, ive been paying them.

Comment

I do understand how distressing it can be and you need to complain to your council about this; you are a single mother with children in the house and the bailiffs do not have the right to frighten you like this no matter how much you owe.

In any case you are not and have not at any time, refused to pay - you are trying as best you can and the council need to recognise this - but they won't unless you make them. So you need to write to them and complain. If you need any help then post up a draft and we can take a look.

The most important thing here is that your council tax is being repaid. Council Tax is a primary debt; a parking is not. So mention this in your letter to the council. Ask them if they would prefer you didn't pay the council tax in favour of the parking fine. Put the ball in their court.

Comment

Ok thanks again Amy. You really are the fount of bailiff knowledge.

I am keeping hold of the money I would have paid them just in case anything happens so I can prove I am willing.

I hope when all this is over and Im sorted that I never get in this situation again.

I will definately remember the help I got from this website. Thanks guys.

Comment

Good girl, you are doing everything correctly. Just get that letter of complaint written and we'll help.

xx

Comment

Ok, I Have an update for you after my visit to the citizens advice today.

The guy who is my advisor rang the Equita office, but surprise surprise couldnt get any answer, so he rang the bailiff directly. He spoke to him for about ten minutes during which the bailiff tried to say that we had an agreement for him to receive payment in full from me in February, how, when I have zero spare cash, I don't know. He then went on to say that he had no intention of coming back to see me again until the end of february, even though the letter he put through my door said he would be back with a van if I didnt ring him in 24 hours! He then went on to tell my advisor that the best option I had was to get in touch with the council about my parking fine, and tell them the first time I heard about this fine was when the bailiff letter dropped through the door, and they would be more likely to take it back that way, because there is some sort of limit of 6 months from when the original fine was issued, which prevents them from taking the debt back from the bailiffs??!! This sounds a bit like crap to me but I'm not positive.

During the entire conversation though, the bailiff (and my advisor) never once mentioned the council tax bill, so I am staying hopeful that they have already removed that from them and I am waiting for a letter. I will keep paying them regardless though until I hear something concrete.

I'm firing off more letters and emails today to the council so fingers crossed I could have some sort of result soon enough. I have also emailed Equita (and kept a copy of it), telling them I will not enter into any talks with a bailiff and I will never allow one access to my property.

After all this though, I went to the shop and my dad was watching the kids for me in my house, when I came back, he told me that a white van matching the description of the bailiffs one from the other day had pulled up outside, not knocked, not posted anything, sat there for ten minutes before driving off again. Could just be a complete coincidence that someone pulled up with a similar van, or could be that the bailiff is full of BS and wants to try and catch me out. I live in a cul-de-sac so Im doubting very much that it was coincidence and the bailiff is in fact just pacifying the CAB and trying to catch me out.

Either way my car is still parked away from my house and will be until something concrete is received from someone!!

Comment

Just a quick question, how is todays government ruling of no clamping on private land going to affect bailiffs? It says clamping on private land is now outlawed. Does this also stand for bailiffs collecting debts?

Comment

Clampers and baillifs aren't the same thing. Well, they are in as much as they are both, generally speaking, lowlife lying cheating money grabbing toads, but that's as far as it goes, I think. The ruling is about clampers not being able to clamp on private land. Nothing to do with bailiffs, as far as I'm aware.
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Wendy B I was just living in hopes I think, never mind...

And on a much, much brighter note, I have just received an email from the council saying that due to my current circumstances and my two emails sent to them, they have instructed Equita bailiffs to cease all action of recovery against me for my council tax bill and they will now deduct £x.xx per week from my benefit to clear the debt.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my stupid fine to go!!!!

Comment

Well done natant a little knowledge goes a long way, I am pleased you have that sorted.
                            Enaid x

Comment

I'm so pleased for you, natant. Well done.

Comment

Im so sorry I need more help and advice.

I have been contacted finally by the council about my parking fine, and they say they have been in touch with Equita who are still saying that there is £374 outstanding on the debt (even though the council knows that the original debt is £110). She said the council will not take the debt back as it has progressed too far, and they are also unable to accept a payment plan for fines. I explained to her my situation with me being on my own with two small children and she has said to take it up with the bailiffs as it is now with them and they can add on their own charges.
                                She wants me to ring them and arrange a payment plan, which I told her I have tried to do and they will accept nothing less than full payment which according to them is £374. I tried to explain that the charges were unjust and im waiting for another reply. This has all been via email this morning.
                                Where am I going to go from here?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X