• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Hi, I'm new to this forum & this is my first post so hi.

This thread is pretty interesting to me. In reference to the classic e bay / PayPal scam for a vehicle that doesn't exist I can advise all is not lost as I can confirm its possible to claim the money back from the banks, in fact I think somebody already did on this thread ?. It's a little complicated but having worked in financial services for the best part of a decade I can tell you that sometimes it is possible .

By the way I'm impressed with all this scam busting , you are all doing a Stirling job.

Cheers
    Last edited by B17; 2nd November 2015, 00:38:AM. Reason: To add some more info

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum, thank you for your kind comments, this is something that has taken over a large part of my time for over 2 years now including several meetings with the banks and Met Police.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on reuniting victims with their losses, feel free to message me with more details.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

[QUOTE=Celestine;331223]I've heard back from the BBC journalist and she is very keen to hear from more victims please.

Those of you who have PM'd me permission to contact, I have passed your details onto the journalist. She will be in contact shortly.

:beagle:Hi Celestine

I am a victim of an Ebay scam . I have pasted the letter I sent to Ebay for which I have had no reply .As mentioned in the letter I have a screen recorded the operating Hacked EBAY and Paypal websites,. I was amazed to see that the Triton Motorcycle was back on Ebay on the 3rd Nov and taken down immediately when I informed EBAY. I have a screen recording of that too. I have had no contact yet with police from Action Fraud. I have tried to attach movie and some docs but not sure if that has worked. I am amazed at the complete lack of urgency from Action fraud about these scams.

best wishes

Peter

URGENT
        Dear Sir, Madam

I am writing to report that I was defrauded out of £3,500 whilst using eBay to purchase a “1959 Triton Café Racer 650cc motorbike” (“the motorbike”) which did not exist. As a long standing, and active eBay customer, I am distressed that this has been allowed to happen.

On 20 October 2015, I searched eBay for “a triton motorcycle” and found the entry shown in Enclosure (1), which appeared as a classified ad. I was advised via the site to contact Unholynephillim (“the seller”) for information on mobile number 0747 0600 626. Before doing so, I researched the seller by using the live link to the seller on the eBay search page. This directed me to a 100% satisfaction rating. Relying on this satisfaction rating, I texted the displayed mobile number. The subsequent response directed me to use email correspondence.

During the ensuing email correspondence, I was directed to make payment through Paypal PAD. Enclosure (2) of this letter shows my correspondence transcript with the seller through a live chat service via Paypal.

After agreeing a purchase price with the seller, I entered the purchase phase. I was directed to an eBay “buy now” site that included the working live eBay search button and user information buttons. This site was linked to the seller’s eBay member profile. I made a payment of £3,500. Payment confirmation is enclosed at Enclosure (3).

I have since learnt that I was not actually corresponding with the purported seller but instead a fraudster who had hacked the seller’s account, there was never any motorbike.

According to research I have since carried out, this seller has been subject to previous hacking and the crimes are being investigated by the Metropolitan Police. I have also subsequently learnt, sadly too late, that Motorcycle News ran an article earlier this year reporting fraud using the PAD system. As a regular eBay user, it came as a shock to me that despite the experience of previous victims, this remains an ongoing issue.

I am deeply distressed by what has happened. I have extracted a short video, which records the above events, for your information (Enclosure 4), which I strongly urge you to watch.

I trust you will find this clip both enlightening and disturbing. I must add that I began trying to alert eBay and payPal on Saturday morning that there was a potentially dangerous site in existence and it wasn’t until Monday when I persuaded both payPal and eBay managerial staff to look at the still active site. In both instances staff were shocked and closure of the site ensued very rapidly.

In conclusion, according to advice I have now received; I look forward to receiving a response within 7 days of receipt of this letter (namely, 4 November 2015) and full reimbursement of £3,500 within 21 days (namely, 18 November 2015). Should I not hear from you within this timeframe, I will regrettably have to raise this entire matter to the Financial Ombudsmen.

Meanwhile, I am sure you will accept that an otherwise robust and dependable medium for buying and selling, has been severely compromised and that it is in the interest of eBay to eradicate this kind of breach, and pursue the perpetrator. It is also vital that your users have complete confidence in your brand.

If I can be of any assistance at all in providing further information that will help in your endeavours to close this dangerous loophole, I am more than willing to do so.

Yours faithfully,

Peter
        Reader in Creative Technology
        Liverpool John Moores University

Enclosure (1) - ebay search result for 1959 Triton Café Racer 650cc and other screenshots of accompanying video
        Enclosure (2) - email correspondence with seller- 20 October 2015 to 25 October 2015
        Enclosure (3) - PayPal live chat correspondence with viewer
        Enclosure (4) –information video on memory stick
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Amethyst; 11th November 2015, 12:00:PM. Reason: personal info

Comment

Hello

I too have recently being scammed on eBay by Lucy ? Lucy@bteditor.co.uk on trying to purchase a Ford Capri for the sum of £4,600. as per previous threads I have read all looked very genuine including the Paypal email I received offering protection etc. I even went to the bank and showed them the eBay/PayPal letter to complete the transfer but was not informed or asked any promoting questions to give me any concern.

The money was transferred into Barclays account on Tuesday 20th Oct at approx 10.00 AM

Bank Name: Barclays
          Account number: 23296679
          Sort code: 20-74-12
          Beneficiary Name: S Malaescu

*Bacs, CHAPS and Faster Payments are accepted.
          Invoice#: 42137981
          Subtotal: £4,600.00
          Shipping(Free): £0.00
          Deposit: £0.00

Total: £4,600.00

Following transfer of money i received email communication from Lucy ? that vehicle would be shipped by transport shipping company "Shiply" I even goggled this and all looked OK. However after several days I had not received any further communication from Lucy and in trying to contact her I received no further communication. My concerns were confirmed when I seen the car re advertised on eBay a few days later. My immediate response was to inform eBay who then transferred me to PayPal who confirmed that the item was a scam and they could do nothing about it but report this to my bank and the police.

On visiting my bank directly I was informed that nothing could be done today as it was a Saturday and to wait until Monday morning. Secondly i went to the Police, only to be told go away and report it to Action Fraud. So no help here . This was done on 26th Oct and after several attempts to find out the status of investigation I still have had no response from Action Fraud and its now over the 28 day working period.

On the Monday morning I made contact with my bank fraud department and gave them the info and they informed me that I had to contact the beneficiary bank (Barclays) to report this fraudulent transfer. On waiting approx half hour to talk to someone I was informed that as i was not a Barclay's customer they could not discuss this account or anything with me. I made it clear that all I wanted to know was the account still open. I was told yes and potentially had sufficient funds i was also informed that they would freeze the account. So I took this a positive move considering approx one week had nearly passed since the transfer.

I received a letter from my bank dated 26th Oct basically stating that as I had willingly transferred my money it was considered as a civil matter and to confirm that they had contacted the beneficiary bank to advise them of this allegation.

Following receipt of this letter I contact my bank by phone and in writing on 11th Nov that i was looking for some help here to understand in parallel to my Action Fraud report that the bank was actively investigating my concern. I received both a telephone call and letter from my bank dated 16th Nov that again this was a civil matter as it was only my allocation that this was a fraudulent claim and that although partial funds still remain in the Beneficiary account no refund would be given.

In summary these scammers get away with it as the banks wash their hands on this and i have no response from Action Fraud that they are evening looking at my report.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Comment

Careful with the following - I've just been scammed

1. Ebay item: Subaru Legacy, Price 4.375,00GBP
            2. Shipping company Admark Solutions Limited: info@admark-shipping-solutions.co.uk
            3. The seller Ian Taylor: iantaylor847@gmail.com
            4. Fake websites: www.admark-shipping-solutions.co.uk,
            5. Gov site indicating the company exists: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06950315
            6. Barclays Account Sort code: 20-42-73, Account number: 43737764
            7. Address: Wymodham Business Centre, Town Green, Wymodham, Norfolk, NR18 0PN
            8. Phone numbers: 020 8133 2465 - no response

Agreement story:

Dear Brigita,

Admark Shipping Solutions is delighted to write this letter on behalf of our client (Ian Taylor) which has mandated us to handle the sale of a 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.0 D SE Sports Tourer.
            Attached to this e-mail you will find the Purchase Contract. For more details and a better understanding on how we work, it is necessary for you to read the contract carefully. You will need to sign it and send it back to us either by fax or e-mail.
            NOTE: If you are unable to view it on your mobile phone please install any PDF reader. It's free. The attachment is a PDF file which is not compatible with all phones/tablets models, so we strongly recommend you to open it from a computer.
            If, at any stage in the transaction there is anything concerning you about what has happened, what may happen or what has not happened please contact us.

Thank you for choosing Admark Shipping Solutions, we always look forward to serve you.

Admark Shipping Solutions
            Wymondham Business Centre
            1 Town Green
            Wymondham
            Norfolk
            NR18 0PN
            United Kingdom
            TEL: +44 1223 92 6534
            FAX: +44 1223 79 0021

My story:

Main body
            I have been a victim of an online vehicle scam. I came across the add on 07/12/2015, got in touch with the seller Ian Taylor via email

Further on I got in touch with the shipping company via email, they sent through the agreement for the sale of a motor vehicle, representing a seller in the name of a shipping company Admark Shipping Solutions Ltd.
            The only provided bank details after I sent through the signed and scanned copy of the agreement. I have also received a letter on behalf of their client.

Going through the email correspondence you will see the payment of 4735,00GBP has been initiated on the 8/12/2015 in the evening and the money reached their account on 9/12/2015 in the morning.
            We agreed for the car to be delivered on Friday 11/12/2015 at 4pm. The car never arrived; I send emails without response and I tried dialing the number provided on the agreement – and got no response. After having done some internet research I found out I was a victim of online fraud. I got in touch with Barclays, reported the fraud and filed the case under Actionfraud.police.uk.

Is there anything else I could do?

Brigita
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brigita, I have replied to your private message.

They have used the details of a genuine shipping company but they company will have no knowledge of the transaction I'm afraid.

I have forwarded the account details directly to Barclays fraud dept for closure, no doubt all funds will have already been withdrawn.

Other than reporting it to Action Fraud, Barclays and your own bank there is not much more you can do.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

I've read almost all of this thread and one thing is glaringly obvious BARCLAYS bank is obviously the choice of bank for any old scammer!!! Is anyone on this forum still collating a list of scammers bank account details? I have a list that you may be interested in.

Comment

[MENTION=7]Tools[/MENTION] is still logging and passing on scam bank account details so he's the best person to contact xx
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Miss Marbles, sorry to hear you were caught out by the same scam as many others here. I've read your private message and although it may seem hard to believe, many of these accounts are opened purely to be single use and disposable once a fraud has been carried out, so the information you were given by Barclays and the Ombudsman may well be correct.

I will speak with my contacts at Barclays Fraud Dept and see if I can get any more info for you about this account.

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

More information on that account @Miss Marbles

Opened October 2014 and closed in July 2015.

I would question Barclays and the FOS as I'm aware that there was not just one transaction going through that account. Up until June/July 2015 it was being used "normally" until several credits (including yours) were received stating "Horsebox" , I assume this is what the eBay scam was selling?

If Barclays have told the FOS porkies then they need to be held accountable, whether this will affect any decision in your favour is difficult to say.

Comment

It wasn't only horse boxes that went through this account, the person was selling hot tubs, ultrasound machines,pianos, and the embroidery machines he/she sold amongst other items. He has now 'graduated to Auto Trader selling cars. Barclays clearly lied to the FOS, the records they sent to the FOS did confirm the account was opened a year previous, but as the person from FOS stated (and he was convinced) that my 'transaction was the ONLY fraudulent one that went through the account........I thought they (FOS) were supposed to be impartial!!!

I got my wrist slapped for making inquires on another consumer/auction site forum for asking other members about this person. I don't think it is a coincidence that the same named person with a Barclays account (several I was told) was active in all of the fraudulent sales. The hot tub was advertised for £1400.00

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Tools, I forgot to say, I found this on the internet “ … Appropriate documentation was presented on these accounts and Barclays had no way of knowing that the account would be used for fraudulent purposes … Where we are alerted to suspicious account activity or it is picked up by our transaction profiling work, we investigate the circumstances and if we are satisfied that the account is being used to launder the proceeds of crime, we act as quickly as possible to close the account. Customers who transferred funds into the account after the fraud has been detected would receive a refund.

I informed them, they closed the account, but if I can prove this account has been used before to defraud others before me I think I stand a chance of getting my money back.

Comment

I would start by asking the FOS to get Barclays to supply transaction details of the account.

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                              I would start by asking the FOS to get Barclays to supply transaction details of the account.
                              The person from FOS who dealt with me claims Barclays sent all of the details to him, and from the information he said he had seen it doesn't appear that the person had done this before, therefore he was upholding Barclays' judgement. I had also requested he asked Barclays for the scripts for the telephone banking I carried out, he claims they also sent that which he listened to and from the conversation I had given full permission to transfer the money after confirming the person's legitimacy ........................Errrr, do I KNOW this person? Did they tell me at the time that the name I telling them to transfer the money to was NOT the name of the account holder.

I think it is time I wrote to the CEO of Barclays including all the information I have with regards to this account, the lack of 'due care and attention' of their 'trained' staff AND the fact that they LIED to the FOS, I will also be sending copies of the letters and email to various newspapers. If that fails I will be contacting my local MP.

Comment

Hello Tools, I had a very interesting phone call from the FOS this morning, The person stated that he would be willing to open the case again if I can prove the the account was used fraudulently.............No s**t!! But, he also said that NO ONE else had reported that account, which makes him a bit weary of revisiting the case. So now it is up to me to find the other people who were scammed by the scammer using this particular account. Do you know what date the horsebox was 'bought' by any chance? I've seen someone online kicking up merry hell over a horsebox she bought from someone using the same name, she did not publish the full account details.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X