• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Hi [MENTION=67523]KT88[/MENTION] , sorry to hear you've been caught out by this as you have seen you're not the first and certainly wont be the last.

Can you give me as much detail as possible please, starting with the Halifax bank account details.

Beneficiary Name:
    Sort Code:
    Account Number:
    Amount:

Exact date & time of transfer and also date/time you rang the Halifax.

I'll email you for the additional things I need but the bank account is the main thing I need at this point.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
      Hi @KT88 , sorry to hear you've been caught out by this as you have seen you're not the first and certainly wont be the last.

Can you give me as much detail as possible please, starting with the Halifax bank account details.

Beneficiary Name:
      Sort Code:
      Account Number:
      Amount:

I'll email you for the additional things I need but the bank account is the main thing I need at this point.
      Thanks for your reply...that was quick!

The bank details are:

S L Richards
      Sort Code 11 00 68
      Account Number 11041664
      Amount 2,500 pounds

The transaction took place on the evening of the 28th May.
      After phoning my bank early on the 29th, they advised ringing the Halifax, which I did at 8.27 a.m. on the 29th May.
      After reporting it to the police on the 30th...as I mentioned, they said give it a day....I rang the Halifax again at 12.35 noon on the 30th.

3 messages from him are on my phone, which is quite basic, not internet, I'll have to figure a way to forward them.

Thanks

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Did you have any email contact with them? An "invoice" etc?

I will get those account details across to Halifax and let you know if I get any feedback from them, sadly they are limited what they can tell me due to DPA.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Hi @KT88 , sorry to hear you've been caught out by this as you have seen you're not the first and certainly wont be the last.

Beneficiary Name:
          Sort Code:
          Account Number:
          Amount:

I've just phoned my bank....the transfer took place at 19.57 on the 28th may.
          Thanks

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Did you have any email contact with them? An "invoice" etc?

I will get those account details across to Halifax and let you know if I get any feedback from them, sadly they are limited what they can tell me due to DPA.
            Regret that price agreed on the phone...I tried to get a receipt but nothing came.
            The 3 texts from him covered:
            1. His address turned out false I found out later
            2. His bank account details
            3. A note saying he will check his bank shortly and confirm receipt (which of course was the last I heard from him!)

The more I type this the more stupid I feel!!

Comment

Beneficiary Name:
              Sort Code:
              Account Number:
              Amount:

Just one other thing...on the 30th, the Halifax chap who wouldn't give me his surname would only give me his first name, Michael. But he said he could give me his manager's name, Valerie Gardner.

Comment

Do you have the telephone number used please.

I've passed on the details directly to their Fraud Ops team, however I don't expect them to see it until Monday.

The one single piece of advice we always give, which I know is of little comfort to you now, is never hand over money for a vehicle you haven't physically been to see or "TouchTheMetal" as we like to phrase it.

Have a look at our advice pages here www.touchthemetal.info

Unfortunately I have to say that the funds will more than likely have been removed almost instantly, there's a slight possibility of raising a complaint with the Halifax due to you acting so fast and them delaying your report. I will try find you the best person to speak with about this. I don't want to give you false hope so work on the assumption that the £2500 is gone.

Comment

Do you have the telephone number used please.

I've passed on the details directly to their Fraud Ops team, however I don't expect them to see it until Monday.

The one single piece of advice we always give, which I know is of little comfort to you now, is never hand over money for a vehicle you haven't physically been to see or "TouchTheMetal" as we like to phrase it.

Have a look at our advice pages here www.touchthemetal.info

Unfortunately I have to say that the funds will more than likely have been removed almost instantly, there's a slight possibility of raising a complaint with the Halifax due to you acting so fast and them delaying your report. I will try find you the best person to speak with about this. I don't want to give you false hope so work on the assumption that the £2500 is gone.
                  Thanks for your reply.
                  My 2500 may be gone but it won't be forgotten! And I see on this forum that other poor souls have been scammed for much higher amounts.

If mine and other cases serve to make the big High Street banking names....which enjoy a "safe" reputation.... more robust in their requirements and checks when allowing accounts to be opened they may achieve something.

The phone number used was 07440 107927.

Writing on here and receiving your replies does at least help with the frustration!

Thanks again

Comment

I'm in regular contact with most of the High Street Banks' fraud teams, Police etc and we do lots in the background that goes unseen on the forum.

Wherever we can help victims (I hate that word) we will.

Comment

hi just been scammed by someone on auto trader selling a ford Mondeo 2.0 titanium reg Ek59 RWX was sent an invoice through paypal/ebay asking to pay the amount by bank transfer like a dumb bell I paid the money . it was only after I bought an item for the wife for her horse off ebay that I relised the receipts were different so I immediately called the bank who have since frozen the account at Barclays but AS MY BANK SAYS ILL BE LUCKY TO GET ANY MONEY BACK.

Barclays
                      Account number: 93376370
                      Sort code: 20-57-44
                      Beneficiary Name: Grzegorz Wojtowicz

hope this helps other people in the future as its left me devastated every penny id got took me 6 months to save easy come easy go as they say

Comment

Sorry to hear you've been caught out by these and thank you for warning others.

When did you send payment and how much? I can try find out more info from Barclays for you tomorrow.

Can you email the "invoice" to me please julian.siddle@legalbeagles.info

Comment

ty Julian in advance for any help you can provide ive sent the invoice hope it helps.

Comment

Got it thanks, I will let you know if I hear anything positive back from the bank

Comment

We have been the victims of a car scam which is slightly different to the ones listed but we wanted to bring it to your attention. We were searching for a Fiat 500 online and firstly Truvit then Loot showed they had the car we wanted listed on their ads. (loot.com). The car was very interesting although we were concerned at the low price. We tried ringing the number given - no answer- presumed it was a central advertising number, so we sent an email instead requesting contact via the Loot ad. We were sent an email in reply 3-4 days later with an apology, the owner of the vehicle was in the forces, had been stationed at the NATO base in Denmark and they had limited contact, we couldn't view the car because it was on an army base in Catterick and he needed to sell because it could not remain there. He told us about the car, full service history etc. insisted the low price was because of a quick sale needed, emailed us the T & C's of Amazon Prime and the Wikipedia link which read that Amazon Prime were offering a selling service to members of the forces to sell large items such as cars. The money went into a holding account whilst we checked the car over. If all was well the money was then released and we kept the car. Emails were sent on a daily basis. We had an online screen chat via Amazon Prime. The bank details were sent over with the agents name, registration number and bank details, Barclays UK. The car was to be delivered on Saturday, we received an email from the 'owner' on Friday stating he hoped we liked the car and were going to be pleased with it. Alarm bells started to ring when we didn't receive a receipt for the money. We rang our bank - Lloyds - straight away and they said the money had been transferred. We told them we thought it was a scam and they contacted Barclays, the only information they could get for us was that the money was removed immediately. In all of these scams in would appear that Barclays seem to be the most used bank. Amazon Prime do not have their logo's locked and anyone can cut and paste them from the website. We have reported the matter to the police and have a case number but this is going on all of the time. We have also reported the matter to Amazon Prime, Lloyds, Barclays, the Omburdsman. Feeling stupid, we certainly are, but are also determined not to let matters lie. By the way, the car was still being advertised a week later on Loot, we pressed the button marked report an ad - no joy it was still there, we have checked this morning and it has now been removed.

Comment

Hi Marie, sorry to hear you too have been caught out by a variation of this scam, as mentioned in my previous post can you forward all the details to me by email please.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X