• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Claim Form letter for debt I don't owe...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they can get both on CRA files no doubt, they need to be sure they are talking to the right person, the way you are going then the outcome could go wrong

Comment

Does anything show on your credit file for this debt at all ? Anything from BT or Lowell ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

PS I sent a CPR 31.14 letter to Lowells but didn't send a CCA, should I do that now or are the two inclusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Does anything show on your credit file for this debt at all ? Anything from BT or Lowell ?
          How do I best check this?

Comment

clearscore or

Noddle are free to use just go to website and fill in your details and you will see what is recorded

Comment

Originally posted by ilikecake View Post
              PS I sent a CPR 31.14 letter to Lowells but didn't send a CCA, should I do that now or are the two inclusive?
              No point sending a CCA letter as there is no credit agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for telecommunications contracts, hence why they stated such.

However, they still need to demonstrate the contract you did enter into with BT which is just a non regulated agreement between you as if they can't how can a judge decide whether you ever entered into one and under what terms.
              COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Unless there was a linked device purchase on credit of course.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I checked on Noddle and there is nothing in there referencing unpaid debt to either company, just my current outstanding loans.

Comment

Unless there was a linked device purchase on credit of course.
                    The only documents they gave me were a collection of old letters they purported to have sent, none from BT detailing any outstanding debts, the last of which says when I enterred into the agreement on 11/2/13 and the fact I failed to pay after it was terminated on 27 March 2017. It also says that notice of the assignment has previously been given and I may request a copy of the agreement on the enclosed Reply form (which isn't included). Which is strange as they just told me that they don't have a copy of the agreement.

Comment

It also says that notice of the assignment has previously been given and I may request a copy of the agreement on the enclosed Reply form (which isn't included). Which is strange as they just told me that they don't have a copy of the agreement.
                      That would be a letter before action and when originally sent it would have had to have the forms enclosed. It's a standard template and they don't even check at that stage whether they have what they need as they hope you'll just admit it and pay up.

They wouldn't include those forms with a copy of the letter at this stage as a claim has been filed.

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for your continued help on this one. I have just constructed my defense, could someone cast an eye over it to check all is OK (I'm unsure of point 9 & 10)?

DEFENCE
                        1. I received the claim xxxxxxxxfrom the Northampton County Court on 05/06/2018
                        2. Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.
                        3. This claim appears to be for a telecommunications agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
                        4. It is denied that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with BTPLCfor provision of credit.
                        5. The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.
                        6. It is denied that BTPLCserved any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant.
                        7. On the06/06/2018I sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Lowell Solicitors Limited. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement.
                        8. Lowell Solicitors Limitedhas not sent any of these documents to me, the reasoning being that “as this is a former telecommunications matter it is not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the original creditor is therefore not required to retain a copy of the agreement. Subsequently, we are unable to request a copy of this document.”
                        9. On the 06/06/2018I sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowell Solicitors Limitedpursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
                        10. The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.
                        11. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.
                        12. I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.
                        13. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.
                        14. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed ________________________________

Dated ________________________________

Comment

OK sorry to keep asking questions but will this be likely to cost me anything? It’s just I have a holiday planned at around the time that the 28 limit is up and I don’t want to have the worry of unopened letters waiting for me as I’m away for over a week. Ie Is it just worth paying?

Comment

OK sorry to keep asking questions but will this be likely to cost me anything? It’s just I have a holiday planned at around the time that the 28 limit is up and I don’t want to have the worry of unopened letters waiting for me as I’m away for over a week. Ie Is it just worth paying?
                            When you file a defence it'll take the court wheels over a week to turn let alone send correspondence, so I wouldn't worry. Plus you usually have 14 days to reply to any correspondence and thus would pick it up on your return, post an update here and then respond within time anyway.

Comment

Thanks a lot mate. So should I file my defense as late as possible to give me more time?

Comment

Thanks a lot mate. So should I file my defense as late as possible to give me more time?
                                What date do you go on Holiday?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X