• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by EXC View Post
    The problem is that the courts aren't there to consider what is fair and reasonable in terms of value but rather in terms of what is legal.

In my view the most important message from the judgment is don't take a PPI dispute to court.
    I agree with this. In fact, try to avoid the court in all CCAct matters, as you never know what the court will decide (particularly if the consumer's friend Waxsman J is involved).
    However, don't be too downhearted by this decision, it is very narrow one looking at unfairness under s104 CCA arising from commission earned by the intermediaries. I don't think it materially effects the main reasons why PPI mis-selling has taken place and the borrowers rights to redress arising from them.

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Has anyone been informed by Lloyds of the following which a colleague of mine was told today by a Lloyds advisor :

Lloyds confirmed today that they have suspended all PPI refund payments as of 29/9. This means that there is no current timescale for when clients will receive their refund.

I'm hoping he has been mis-informed but wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this.

Comment

I can't answer your most recent question, SKV, but I'm hoping it's just the usual 'Chinese Whisper' that gets passed along. We'll know soon enough, I guess.
        Originally posted by skv123 View Post
        If i go to the garage next door to my office and buy a Mars bar for £1.50 when i can get it for 50p elsewhere i can yell at the garage for being jerks but its my own fault for not shopping around for a mars bar right?
        Yeah, sure, everybody knows what is a fair price for a Mars bar, but this was a product which does not have a fixed price, and the buyer was acting in good faith, yet was misled by the seller into believing that the price was fair - which it clearly wasn't. However, as EXC says...
        Originally posted by EXC
        The problem is that the courts aren't there to consider what is fair and reasonable in terms of value but rather in terms of what is legal.

In my view the most important message from the judgment is don't take a PPI dispute to court.
        Such is the @$$ that our Law has to be - narrow-visioned and stubborn. We have the luxury of being able to argue over the 'Big Picture,' whereas the Judiciary are obliged to wear blinkers - or a blinfold and a set of scales. I guess I would prefer the status quo, really. The emotive stuff is the domain of our similarly blesséd media - another argument - another day, eh ? !!!

Comment

Has anyone been informed by Lloyds of the following which a colleague of mine was told today by a Lloyds advisor :

Lloyds confirmed today that they have suspended all PPI refund payments as of 29/9. This means that there is no current timescale for when clients will receive their refund.

I'm hoping he has been mis-informed but wanted to see if anyone else had heard of this.
          Not heard this per se, however have noticed a significant shift in lloyds staff over the last week or so from occasionally bareley helpfull (previously) to unhelpfull bordering on obstinate (now). Have been told a number of times this week that they cannot tell who may have been paid so far or give an idea of how long the payments backlog is, they refuse to be drawn to even give an off the record 'guestimate' of time to pay from offer going out. When you've got clients ringing asking where their money is the word infuriating isnt enough to describe lloyds current stance.

Comment

As ever with lloydsTSB I would email them and ask the question but they are very very very slow on paying out once they have received confirmation of acceptance.
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              As ever with lloydsTSB I would email them and ask the question but they are very very very slow on paying out once they have received confirmation of acceptance.
              E-mailed the CEO and consumer address yesterday.

Will post any response.

Comment

Hi

Not told anything, only that they resolved my last 2 cases over a week ago and received an email back a few days ago to say the team were currently dealing with the refund.
                Will keep a check on this though.
                If this is the case, then I shall be contacting the FSA, see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                  Hi

Not told anything, only that they resolved my last 2 cases over a week ago and received an email back a few days ago to say the team were currently dealing with the refund.
                  Will keep a check on this though.
                  If this is the case, then I shall be contacting the FSA, see what they say.
                  Di, they have had my mother's case for the last 6 weeks and still no resolution as yet.

Comment

Di, they have had my mother's case for the last 6 weeks and still no resolution as yet.
                    Blimey, just not on!!!
                    MP, have you a good local one leclerc?
                    OTR someone has contacted their local one who have on the customer's behalf been contacting the business to chase this up and think they are moving on with it, cannot recall on what bank this was though, but still maybe worth thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      Blimey, just not on!!!
                      MP, have you a good local one leclerc?
                      OTR someone has contacted their local one who have on the customer's behalf been contacting the business to chase this up and think they are moving on with it, cannot recall on what bank this was though, but still maybe worth thinking about.
                      Oh, of course, reputational risk to the business.....had not thought about it to be honest....

Comment

Oh, of course, reputational risk to the business.....had not thought about it to be honest....

If I get any trouble, I shall be contacting mine, and they will contact/write or email the bank and if your MP agrees (which they should do) is to ask for a copy of the letter/email sent to the bank. To the CEO maybe the best action.

I will however, give it time with mine though because mine have only just been resolved, but with customers waiting as long as your mum's etc, defo get some help from MP to push it, good luck.

Comment

Do not understand why they went to court when the FOS upholds (currently) 89% against BH.

Go to FOS, not the court.

Comment

I totally agree.

Actually the FOS are now upholding a record 92% of all PPI complaints.

PPI complaints to Ombudsman see sharp fall

The number of complaints about payment protection insurance (PPI) being taken to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has dropped sharply.

The FOS received just 19,259 new PPI cases in the third quarter of this year, down 66% from the second quarter.

As a result, the total number of complaints made to the FOS in the quarter fell 38% to just over 50,000.

The FOS said the drop in PPI cases had been expected as a backlog was cleared. Other types of complaint were up 24%.

Despite the number of new PPI complaints seemingly passing its peak, the FOS said it was upholding an even greater proportion of them than before - all cases that had originally been turned down by banks and other PPI sellers.

"The percentage of PPI complaints we upheld in favour of the consumer increased to 92%," an FOS spokesman said.

Mis-selling

The number of PPI complaints taken to the FOS more than doubled in the financial year 2010-11 to nearly 105,000 as publicity about the widespread mis-selling of the insurance alerted many customers to the possibility of gaining compensation.

In the meantime, the banks fought a High Court case to challenge the authority of the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and the FOS, who had laid down new rules about how PPI should be sold and how past cases of mis-selling should be dealt with.

While this was going on, most banks put their new complaints on hold and a huge backlog built up.

But the dam broke when the banks suffered a decisive legal defeat in April and, as a result, were obliged to start processing the backlog that amounted to more than 200,000 cases.

The number of people that then went to the Ombudsman rocketed too - to just over 56,000 in April, May and June.

That surge now appears to be past its peak, though new PPI cases still make up 38% of the current FOS workload.

Meanwhile other types of unresolved complaints being taken to the Ombudsman have increased between the second quarter of the year and the third.

Among them were those about deposits and savings (up 40%), mortgages (up 37%), overdrafts and loans (up 23%), and motor insurance (up 22%).

"Complaints about current accounts and credit cards also remain high," the FOS said.

These accounted for 9% and 12% respectively of all new complaints in the three months to the end of September.

BBC News - PPI complaints to Ombudsman see sharp fall

Comment

I totally agree.

Actually the FOS are now upholding a record 92% of all PPI complaints.

PPI complaints to Ombudsman see sharp fall

The number of complaints about payment protection insurance (PPI) being taken to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has dropped sharply.

The FOS received just 19,259 new PPI cases in the third quarter of this year, down 66% from the second quarter.

As a result, the total number of complaints made to the FOS in the quarter fell 38% to just over 50,000.

The FOS said the drop in PPI cases had been expected as a backlog was cleared. Other types of complaint were up 24%.

Despite the number of new PPI complaints seemingly passing its peak, the FOS said it was upholding an even greater proportion of them than before - all cases that had originally been turned down by banks and other PPI sellers.

"The percentage of PPI complaints we upheld in favour of the consumer increased to 92%," an FOS spokesman said.

Mis-selling

The number of PPI complaints taken to the FOS more than doubled in the financial year 2010-11 to nearly 105,000 as publicity about the widespread mis-selling of the insurance alerted many customers to the possibility of gaining compensation.

In the meantime, the banks fought a High Court case to challenge the authority of the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and the FOS, who had laid down new rules about how PPI should be sold and how past cases of mis-selling should be dealt with.

While this was going on, most banks put their new complaints on hold and a huge backlog built up.

But the dam broke when the banks suffered a decisive legal defeat in April and, as a result, were obliged to start processing the backlog that amounted to more than 200,000 cases.

The number of people that then went to the Ombudsman rocketed too - to just over 56,000 in April, May and June.

That surge now appears to be past its peak, though new PPI cases still make up 38% of the current FOS workload.

Meanwhile other types of unresolved complaints being taken to the Ombudsman have increased between the second quarter of the year and the third.

Among them were those about deposits and savings (up 40%), mortgages (up 37%), overdrafts and loans (up 23%), and motor insurance (up 22%).

"Complaints about current accounts and credit cards also remain high," the FOS said.

These accounted for 9% and 12% respectively of all new complaints in the three months to the end of September.

BBC News - PPI complaints to Ombudsman see sharp fall

very misleading stat as noone in their right mind would have sent their claim to fos in july/august and sept whilist waiting to see what the on-hold JR decision was, the only things that would have been sent would be smdls
                              i saw an smdl from barclays yesterdays, the first for a long time.
                              id be very surprised if this number doesnt spike up again with all the capital one , barclaycard, blackhorse, lloyds smdl's floating about.

Comment

Originally posted by MBD23 View Post
                                very misleading stat as noone in their right mind would have sent their claim to fos in july/august and sept whilist waiting to see what the on-hold JR decision was, the only things that would have been sent would be smdls
                                i saw an smdl from barclays yesterdays, the first for a long time.
                                id be very surprised if this number doesnt spike up again with all the capital one , barclaycard, blackhorse, lloyds smdl's floating about.
                                two things really but was does SMDL mean?

the other thing is the significance of July/August since the decision on the JR was made in May?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X