• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by seller 17 View Post
    ------------------------------------

Deloitte dont just provide for the FSCS, they also provde consultants for the FOS as a friend of mine worked on PPI cases their, so in my view the fact that they are providing for L/TSB is nothing to get over concerned about.

I didn't realise that, so I take it then if they are providing for Lloyds they will do so for other banks/businesses that have ongoing backlogs of PPI complaints?

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      Clearly Santander were a smaller operation and easier to deal with but that would suggest that asking for a leave of absence due to stress means that he is not really the right person for the job and I think Lloyds headhunted him
      Lloyds, rode roughshod over their customers as did many other banks

One is not surprised that the new CEO of Lloyds required absence of leave due to stress...
      António Mota de Sousa Horta Osório - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      Originally posted by di30 View Post
      I didn't realise that, so I take it then if they are providing for Lloyds they will do so for other banks/businesses that have ongoing backlogs of PPI complaints?

About
      Last edited by Angry Cat; 5th November 2011, 23:48:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
        Lloyds, rode roughshod over their customers as did many other banks

One is not surprised that the new CEO of Lloyds required absence of leave due to stress...
        António Mota de Sousa Horta Osório - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------

About
        Ermmm, but the topic was Antonio Osorio so my comment was basically say that I do not care if he has stress because perhaps Lloyds made a mistake hiring him in spite of the good reputation that he had as CEO of Santander......
        With regards to LTSB, I don't disagree with you and interesting to note that Antonio Osorio's father played table tennis.....not a lot of people know that!!!
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Cheers Angry Cat.

Tried the link, it not working for me, will keep trying, thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post

See this link;

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...in-the-city.do

Comment

Thought this was rather amusing.

Comment

Millions face unexpected tax bill over PPI

Millions face an unexpected tax bill over PPI compensation. Customers who have waited weeks, sometimes months for their money will have to pay tax on the interest they receive. It was agreed with the regulator - the FSA - that victims of PPI mis-selling would receive interest at 8% - but that could come down significantly after the revenue have had their cut.

If you want to contact HMRC regarding tax on PPI contact the Income Tax enquiry line on 0845 300 0627 or write to PO Box 1970, Liverpool L75 1WX.

Listen to the piece on BBC Money Box here BBC iPlayer - Money Box: 12/11/2011

Comment

Hmm Exc

Bit of a mess--RBS deducting at source and the others not----and telling customers to "declare it"

In actual fact Exc--Halifax & others been putting this in their refund letters for a few years-not just PPI but straight bank charges claims

Question: Will all those people who got 8% back in last 7 years (Tax window for Taxman investigations I believe) declare it--I think not-lol

Turbs

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                  Millions face unexpected tax bill over PPI

Millions face an unexpected tax bill over PPI compensation. Customers who have waited weeks, sometimes months for their money will have to pay tax on the interest they receive. It was agreed with the regulator - the FSA - that victims of PPI mis-selling would receive interest at 8% - but that could come down significantly after the revenue have had their cut.

If you want to contact HMRC regarding tax on PPI contact the Income Tax enquiry line on 0845 300 0627 or write to PO Box 1970, Liverpool L75 1WX.

Listen to the piece on BBC Money Box here BBC iPlayer - Money Box: 12/11/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post

Question: Will all those people who got 8% back in last 7 years (Tax window for Taxman investigations I believe) declare it--I think not-lol

Turbs
                    I doubt it as I would imagine that most of those people were genuinely unaware that the interest was taxable.

Comment

I don't get it. It's compensatory interest - awarded for loss of use of money which we have already earned and paid tax on. It's NOT an investment we have chosen to make - and at 8% simple interest rate, it surely cannot be considered as one.

How on earth can this be justified ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                        I don't get it. It's compensatory interest - awarded for loss of use of money which we have already earned and paid tax on. It's NOT an investment we have chosen to make - and at 8% simple interest rate, it surely cannot be considered as one.

How on earth can this be justified ?

It's just backdoor robbery billy boy, the government feel they can do whatever they want i don't know who are the bigger crooks the banks or the government. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

It would only be taxable surely if one was self enployed and used the bank charges and interest in the accounts to offset tax only then can they deduct tax at source.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                            It would only be taxable surely if one was self enployed and used the bank charges and interest in the accounts to offset tax only then can they deduct tax at source.

Hi tutts hows your little ole darlin today (cat)

Comment

Originally posted by cappo View Post
                              Hi tutts hows your little ole darlin today (cat)
                              she has slept all day lol

Comment

I must admit, I'm a 'cat' person - it's probably their naughty nocturnal nature that I identify with !!! Love the critters.

I really hope someone takes them to task over this, with a 'Sempra' style challenge, because - as Cappo says - it's backdoor robbery. Since when has compensation been taxable ?

I guess, as EXC has implied, it's maybe not such a big deal to most of us, where our claims include maybe a few hundred quid in compensatory interest. I'm self-employed, and I've a dashed good mind to ask the Inland Revenue EXACTLY what this money is classed as - for the purposes of filling in my Tax Return accurately. It's not earned income, it's not investment income - it's friggin' compo, DESPITE the fact that it has been awarded at a disgustingly low rate, IMHO.

I'm not sure on this - and maybe Tuttsi can put me right - but isn't there a 'mandate' arrangement whereby we can elect to have the interest on our investments (such as savings) paid to us NET of tax ? Unless we have given our bank this mandate, then I believe the default of paying interest GROSS would apply. Again, confusion abounds, I reckon, as this may be the different scenario which Turbo has mentioned. I would personally challenge my bank if they deducted tax at source from my measly 8% compo - on the grounds that it is CLEARLY not investment income.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X