• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI and Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PPI and Court

Yes, PF - I would rather wait for others' comments, first, as it may need changes, or even scrapping !!!

Be interesting to see what that review attempt is gonna be all about. Let's hope it doesn't go to a hold this time.

Comment

Ok will do bill in the meantime im gona search the web and see what i can find on this judicial review
      If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Hi PF and Bill,

Either way, I bet certain unscrupulous firms (not mentioning any names, but one begins and ends with 'N' and the other rhymes with 'hoop' - sort of!) will use any excuse to not pay out now..........

Nels x

Comment

I for one (and I'm sure I won't be alone) will be calling the FOS first thing on Monday to ask how this affects ongoing cases - and specifically ones which are legally binding like mine with Norton............previously my adjudicator had said to me that if the judicial review happened, it wouldn't affect complaints that were in the pipeline/subject to an ombudsman's decision - but who knows........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
            Further to Richard Slater's email (post #353) - might I suggest that you email this AND send it by snail-mail, PF ?

...or summat along these lines, anyway...

any use ?
            Bill, that sounds excellent and will (should!!) give them food for thought. Well done!!!!

Comment

So that's a 3-1 just wait for turboman and if I get a 4-0 it will be in post in the morning.

PF

sigpic

Comment

Banks fight PPI compensation rules
                (UKPA) – 1 hour ago The press association

Banks have announced plans to challenge through the courts new rules on the way they must handle complaints about controversial payment protection insurance.
                The British Bankers' Association (BBA) is asking the High Court to carry out a judicial review of the Financial Services Authority's rules on the handling of PPI complaints, which are due to come into force at the end of this year.
                The rules include new guidance on the way firms must handle complaints and pay compensation to customers who think they were mis-sold PPI.
                It also sets out details on when companies must review previous complaints to see if there were serious flaws in their sales practices that may have affected both customers who did complain and those who did not.
                The BBA has not given details on what aspect of the new rules it wants reviewed, but it is believed to be challenging the FSA's decision to impose the new guidance retrospectively on sales that took place before it was introduced.
                PPI covers debt repayments if the holder is unable to work due to an accident or illness or if they are made redundant.
                But it has come in for heavy criticism after research found it had been mis-sold to many consumers who would never be able to claim on it, while others felt pressurised into taking it out alongside a loan or credit card.
                In the last five years there have been more than a million complaints made to firms about PPI. The product currently accounts for around a third of all the complaints the Financial Ombudsman Service receives, with nine out of 10 complaints upheld in consumers' favour.
                The FSA said it will contest the review, adding that firms would have to continue handling complaints on the issue while the process is taking place.
                Peter Vicary-Smith, chief executive of consumer group Which?, said: "It makes you wonder what planet the banks are living on. Not content with the billions they have made from this over-priced, flawed and frequently mis-sold product, the banks now seem to be trying to wriggle out of implementing changes that would ensure consumers are treated fairly."

Comment

Be back after Paul O'Grady PF & read up last page of posts

Comment

Also.....

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/consumer...es/index.shtml

PPI changes challenged: Can you still complain?

If you have insurance to cover your loan or debt repayments in the event of accident, sickness, reduced income or loss of employment, you can still complain about how the policy was sold to you or the response you received after making a claim. Find out how.

If you have taken out a loan, mortgage or credit card, you may have been sold payment protection insurance (PPI) to cover the repayments if you are unable to meet them in certain circumstances.
                    These policies can also be called loan protection, credit protection, or accident, sickness and unemployment insurance.
                    It may have been suggested to you that you needed PPI to be approved for a loan or credit, or even had a policy added to the amount of your loan without your knowledge, increasing the balance you have to repay.
                    Consumer protection challenged

We took over the regulation of insurance sales in 2005, and since then have found evidence of widespread problems with the sale of PPI and how complaints are handled.
                    To ensure customers are treated more fairly when complaining about the sale of a PPI policy or after making a claim, we announced a package of measures for firms to follow by 1 December 2010.
                    These measures include:
                    • ensuring firms handle complaints properly and offer redress where appropriate;
                    • explaining when and why firms should review past complaints to identify if there are serious flaws in sales practices that may have affected customers who bought PPI; and
                    • setting out common sales failings to help firms identify bad practice.
                    What’s happened now

The banking industry, through trade association the British Bankers' Association (BBA), started legal proceedings on 8 October 2010 to challenge our ability to insist on these measures.
                    We intend to contest this challenge as we consider the measures to be a fair solution for consumers and the industry.
                    What to do if you have a complaint

Despite the challenge by the BBA, you still have the right to complain about your PPI policy.
                    If you have a complaint about the circumstances of the sale of your PPI policy or the suitability of the product for you, you should first complain to the firm that sold it to you.
                    If your complaint is about a claim you have made, you should raise the matter with the insurance firm.
                    You are more likely to get a prompt response if you follow the firm’s complaints procedure – you can check online or call to confirm how they prefer you to proceed.
                    The firm then has eight weeks to look into your complaint and provide a response.

If you are not happy with how the firm has dealt with your complaint you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service as soon as possible and within six months of receiving a response. The ombudsman service is a free, independent service for settling disputes between financial services firms and their customers.
                    The ombudsman service has a template to register a complaint about PPI which you can send to the firm that sold you the policy.
                    Find out more about what to do if you have a dispute or complaint.
                    Fairness failings

We have taken action against 24 firms for failings in PPI sales since 2005, with fines totalling nearly £13m. We also stopped the sale of single premium PPI with unsecured personal loans so consumers won’t pay upfront for several years of protection.
                    The quality of complaints handling is another area of PPI we have focused on.
                    In the past five years there have been over a million complaints made about PPI. Firms on average reject around half the PPI complaints they receive, but some reject nearly all the complaints, according to figures we received from 18 major sellers of PPI.
                    Nearly one-third of rejected complainants go to the ombudsman service, where more than 80% are overturned in the consumer’s favour.

Comment

some people on other fourms saying one bank has already put a freeze on all complaints

this is a set up

just like the OFT set up bank charges for the banks... the FSA have set them up for the banks

nobody will do anything though, that is a fact.

Comment

FOS has assured claimants that claims will continue, this i guess is because it is only a review of the rules set by the FSA and not a court case as was the bank charges.

Indeed it does not take away the fact that many people where ripped off.

PF

sigpic

Comment

My hunch.........that would be Lloyds TSB, but I would say that LOL !!

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                            My hunch.........that would be Lloyds TSB, but I would say that LOL !!
                            I'm with you on that one Di

Comment

LOL, its that feeling I have and it would not at all surprise me, makes me think why we received these extra payouts last weekend.........(out the way)!

Comment

Hi PF

Yes I agree with you & Marshy---excellent letter from Bill

Perseverance & a nagging slow presure
                                rather than threats & confrontation

Just to remind everybody -

There are 2 issues going on here simultaneously :

1---the disagreement with the FOS who say that they will not show us THEIR sums--which is what the last set of posts are about

2--The more important--- DSAR sent to CO-op to flush out the Loan Statements once & for all that PF did't get from his DSAR in 2008 so we can check everything & probably submit new evidence to be considered to the Ombudsman himself who will then have to reconsider the case--rather than the existing adjudicators

Turbo

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X