• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Travel girl - Hardship claim - offer received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel girl - Hardship claim

one last question - as your spread sheet only comes out as gobbledy gook on the post

can you tell from the sheet how much did the actual charges add upto and how much is interest

Also was your helper in court quite confident he had got your spread sheet working properly?
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

hi scooby i knoe about the spread sheet lol it is all set out properly on the one that was taken yo court unfortunaly i am unable to scan as i havent quite worked it out how to do it on here i only know the long hard way lol
      okay now to answer your q's
      1. abbey havent frozen anything or done anything they just closed my account without my knowledge.
      2 since phoning the debt copmpanys and explaining to them what i was doing and the 322 charges are contant charges the same charge from rth jany till june 26 when they closed my account they were the same charges from month to month ongoing
      3 abbey havent done or said anything about it apart from the advisor who said they were wrong to keep chargeing me the same charge ongoing till they closde my a/c
      jany sharge
      feb same charge
      march same charge
      april again same charges
      may same again
      june same so all these charges from the 9th january were being added more more and the amount came for the one charge 322 pounds so i havent heard a thing
      4. total cost in charges £3117-02 not counting interest
      interest to be added on 8%

the DJ quoted this on his order the figure with interest

abbey eventually wrote to me after many letter to them about my a/c i finally got an answer on 20th july reading
      Dear Mrs xxxxxxxx
      Thanks for your recent correspondence reguarding the above account.
      We can tell you that your account was closed on 26 june 2007
      If you have any questions please give us a call on the number above or pop in to your local branch
      yours sincerey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

that the letter i got

hugs
      tvgl

Comment

the fos has delt with my case they sent me a letter saying i had got a case therefore they are transfering my xcase to a caseworker in which they did caseworker sandra greene
        no im not being chased for the repeat charges 322 pounds
        hug
        tvgl

Comment

scooby what do i do now or is there anything else?
          hopefully i shall be able to send of all the docs and info and letters i have
          thvvm for all you r help
          take care
          tvgl

Comment

hello everyone
            ive nothing to add just yet as soon as i do i shall be in tyvm
            take care
            tvgl

Comment

Sorry have not been able to post for a few days - I still think you should write to the FOS as we suggested and say you are not happy with their response.

Dear xxxx

I refere to your letter dated XXXX and apologise for not replying by 29th April ut I am finding all of this situation very stressful.

Firstly I wish to confirm I am very disappointed with your response and as far as I am concerned this matter is not closed.

I would repeat the following

I did not close my account number xxxx

It was closed without my authority and without notice.I am aware that certain banks have been fined in the past for retalitory closure of acounts and customers have received compensation

the facts are that when I did go into OD because I was suffering finacial difficulties Abbey then used my only income which was benefits to repay the OD and charges which at time left me with no money to live on at all. I had to take out a loan from a company called Greenwods for food and everyday expenses . I would never have had to take out this loan if Abbey had not taken my benefits in extorionate charges and totally ignored my please for help.
              The loan to cover everyday expenses is still being paid and further reduces my small income . Therefor I am still suffering hardship everyday now due to their actions

Now it appears that because I am living within my means at the moment I am being punished - yet if I had still a large OD with Abbey or still had an account ( which I repeat I did not close ) you would consider my case.

I am aware that before the waiver charges have been repaid on accounts that were closed so I do not see the relevance of this comment .It is conditional to the complaints handling waiver that complaints about these charges made by customers experiencing financial hardship are to be progressed in the normal way and do not apply to the waiver.

I clearly meet the criteria of financial hardship. The FSA have stated that the definition of financial hardship for this purpose is outlined in paragragh 14 of The Banking Code - Guidance for Subscribers:

Subscribers will consider customers to be in financial difficulty when income is

insufficient to cover reasonable living expenses and meet financial commitments as they become due. This may result
              from a change in lifestyle, often accompanied by a fall in disposable income and/or increased expenditure, such as:
              • loss of employment;
              • disability;
              • serious illness;
              • imprisonment;
              • relationship breakdown;
              • death of a partner;
              • starting a lower paid job;
              • parental/carer leave;
              • starting full-time education.
              A customer’s financial difficulties may become evident to the subscriber from one or more of the following events:
              • items repeatedly being returned unpaid due to lack of available funds;
              • failing to make loan repayments or other commitments;
              • discontinuation of regular credits;
              • notification of some form of insolvency or court proceedings;
              • regular requests for increased borrowing or repeated rescheduling of debts;
              • making frequent cash withdrawals on a credit card at a non-promotional rate of interest; and
              • repeatedly exceeding a credit card or overdraft limit without agreement.

We have experienced the first three criteria and have also had our home re-possesed

I would point out that the judge was sympathetic with my argument about the bank taking my benefits money in the way they did.

Even recently they just keep churning out standard letters about how I should operate my account that I dont even have! they have never tried to help me or act in a sympathetic way.

So to summarise .

I am not happy with your decision and will have to consider my next move.

I consider that Abbey closed my account as a retalitory action as I was making a claim

I still am suffering hardship by paying back a loan only incurred because of the actions of Abbey.
              "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

Hi

did you do the letter ? And have you had any response?

Comment

hi love
                  well up to now i have heard nothing from abbey or fos
                  normally i get an acknowledgement from fos
                  but nothing i am now wanting to send abbey a right letter but am hopeless at knowing what to put i know you are great at this please can you help me please
                  tyvvvvvvm
                  hugs
                  travelgirl
                  ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                  forgot to say
                  21 pages went to fos & abbey
                  they got (abbey) what they asked for
                  travelgirl
                  Last edited by travelgirl; 22nd June 2008, 11:16:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi

Which was the last letter you did ? the one in post 66?

So you said you were not happy with the FOS decision? And then they asked you for Income and expenditure sheets again?

What date did you do the letter and did you send it to FOS copy to Abbey or Abbey copy to FOS.?

If you can just explain exactly what you did as there were lots of letters and versions being suggested.

thanks

Jan

Comment

hi love i am so fed up now and annoyed i want to forget all about it i am sick n tired of explaning and contradicting myself all the time i now have a new printer so i will try not use to it yet if not i will copy type it
                      i got a letter from the fos sandra greene yesterday who know s i may get one from abbey and if i am correct love abbey are saying the month of frb 07 were the charges ok i got the charges in january then from feb to may/june were repeated charges from the same ongoing 9th january they kept carring this charge on and on each month till it mounted up so now abbey are saying that they closed my account becase of this amouont still owing and refered me to debt collection agencys as i have said in my posts and in cag, i phoned them both up and they said after me explaningf it is a fault of abbeys as they are chargeing me ongoing since 9th jan 07 till may/june they asked had i got proof i said yes i have to fax them to her and she said she is not getting involed and she said she will tell them i will see if i can work this new printer if not i will copy type the letter i got from the case worker at fos yesterday
                      tyvvm love
                      hugs
                      tvg
                      xx
                      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                      yes love that was the one 66
                      heard nnothing grom abbey i sent 21 pages to abbey and fos and a letter for conpensation
                      for closing my account and not telling me untill i got on there nerves prob asking them to close my account have they closed it etc
                      and i got a reply saying they closed it 26 june 07
                      Last edited by travelgirl; 26th June 2008, 07:35:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi Travel girl

dont give up - you know we are trying to help you and yours is a complicated case.

As far as I remember you had someone from CAG who went to court with you ? Can he help you with double checking your paperwork and letters?

As far as I can see from your last post you were in debt with Abbey when they closed your account - and you are now saying they sold your debt on ?

Who did they sell it to ? And have they been chasing you for money ? Is that Greenwoods that you mentioned before ?

Maybe the person who helped you before may be able to copy and scan your documents.

speak to you later

Comment

hi tyvm for your reply it was stone who came with me i have flu and ive been sussing this out new printer anyway i have managed to scan a couple of more i will copy more papers for you to see
                          tyvvvm

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Travel girl

As you said that you were tired up of repeating yourself I have carefully read through your thread OTR again(gosh it is long!) and there are a couple of things that I am really worried about for you.

1) I understand you had problems with your spread sheet and in court you adjusted the amount to £3100 pounds approximately. Are you 100% sure this is the accurate figure from your bank statements?
                              2) You mentioned a refund of £700.00 from the Abbey-, did you actually receive this money or was it just offered - if this related to the charges did you take this sum off the charges you were claiming?
                              3) Do you have your full statements with every charge listed and highlighted in date order. Are you sure there are no duplicate dates for example an internet statement and a proper statement from Abbey?
                              4) If you did take into account the part payment of the charges - did you then take off the interest for these charges that were refunded?
                              5) Which site did you use for your spread sheet?
                              6) What is the total amount of charges less the refund and not counting the interest ? if you have used the correct spread sheet you should be able to tell us this.

The reason I am concerned is that reading your court account it looks like they sent proper representation to argue against you and they would not have done this with out a reason.Did they threaten you with having to pay costs as well?

Say for example there is a miracle and the stays are lifted your case is still current in court. If you have not got your facts and figures correct they will employ professional representation again and then tear your case apart just because you may not be properly prepared - and I don't want that to happen.

Sorry to ask you this, but I have to get you some help and the best way to do this is to put these questions on your thread and then you will get pointed in the right direction for a better spread sheet.

You may also have to send a request to Abbey again for all your statements so you can start again. And then amend your claim.

I just would not put it past them to have noticed you may have made some mistakes and then throw that at you in court.

Also in view of the judges comments on appropriation of your benefits you will have to amend your POC as he has already said this can not be combined with your bank charges claim.

I have seen your letter from the FOS turning down your case again and still can not understand their reasoning . before you scan it can you cover your personal details and send it again - just those two pages and we will post it up

not giving up yet!

even if the charges are less you need them back to pay off the debt which is still outstanding.

Comment

I have been trying to get the letter up that travel girl received from the FOS but have not been able to do so.

But basically they are saying that they will not repay charges - they are waiting for ruling on court case .

And that they feel Abbey have acted within the banking code by not chasing for the debt and freezing any interest being charged .

Abroad girl if you can cover your personal details on the FOS letter and answer the questions above - we can keep trying

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X