• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tuttsi V Halifax ( 18 year claim )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuttsi V Halifax ( 18 year claim )

It wasn't actually me who started the present discussion on this thread regarding Compound interest. I was merely responding to the comments that were made regarding the Compound interest version of her claim being £67k and it developed on from there.

I of course agree that this thread is not the place to get into a discussion regarding Compound Interest, especially as Tuttsi isn't trying for it at present.

We had already sorted that situation out much earlier in the thread anyway. I will have a look at Boardman V Phipps over the weekend.

Tuttsi and i were chatting earlier in quick chat about what she should do in response to the Halifax letter and I had already suggested that she write a letter back presenting her arguments on the limitation act ( she has lots of material now to include in her response letter ) and attempt to get Halifax to re consider their initial offer. If this fails then of course Tuttsi should progress this into a County Court claim. Whether that claim is filed with compound interest or not is up to Tuttsi !!!

......... and yes I totally agree with you that a county court claim would be very difficult for Halifax and the Court especially as Halifax have already agreed that Tuttsi is in a financial hardship situation, combined with the limitation act arguments it would make for a very interesting court claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
      Sadly no, because the offer has been made without admission of liability and as a goodwill gesture.

You are going to have to argue the limitation issue with them.

I fully understand that I have to argue the limitation issue with them.... my question was once they agree to the limitations 6-18 years of my claim whether with Halifax directly or through the courts I should get 100% of my total claim on charges based on the offer they have already made and committed too.

xx

Comment

Its not binding on them in any way ref any charges other than this one.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
          I fully understand that I have to argue the limitation issue with them.... my question was once they agree to the limitations 6-18 years of my claim whether with Halifax directly or through the courts I should get 100% of my total claim on charges based on the offer they have already made and committed too.

xx
          No Cetelco is correct.

The initial offer has been made without liability and as a gesture of goodwill.

Comment

Originally posted by Budgie View Post
            No Cetelco is correct.

The initial offer has been made without liability and as a gesture of goodwill.
            I cannot see anywhere in there letter which states it is made as a gesture of goodwill. They only state without admission of liability. Does that make a difference!!!

xx

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
              I cannot see anywhere in there letter which states it is made as a gesture of goodwill. They only state without admission of liability. Does that make a difference!!!

xx
              No Tuttsi, LOL

However, you can always add a paragraph about it in the response letter if you like, it won't do any harm and / or we can build it into the POC for any resulting court claim. They will most likley comeback with a "without liability" comment in respect of their initial offer but hey, in for a penny in for a pound.

Have you managed to have a go at drafting out a response letter. I am around tomorrow morning if you need some assistance.

Budgie

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                Post #13 deals exclusively with The Limitation Act 1980 and how you might present your claim in order to defeat this. It has nothing to do with claiming any form of compound interest. My position remains unchanged on that issue.

I believe that your claim will be interesting because it must be heard, if you qualify under the hardship criterion and that is going to present Halifax and the court with an interesting dilemma.
                I agree with you on that point Cetelco. Will they ignore the limitations angle and pay up or argue it causing financial difficulty.

Tutts is the whole claim outside of limitation or just part of it. If some is inside then they may just agree to pay part or all of that element and not other charges outside of limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by TANZARELLI View Post

Tutts is the whole claim outside of limitation or just part of it. If some is inside then they may just agree to pay part or all of that element and not other charges outside of limitation.
                  That is correct Tanz they have offered the one and only charge back which is within the 6 year period for £28 - all the rest are all outside the 6 year limit.

Could of, should of, but I did'nt do the claim 18 months ago when I would have got back at least a quarter of the claim it is my own fault deciding the best route sooner, there was always the elemnet of the limitations part of the claim which at the time could not get my head arround.

Still at least Celeteco has said it is an interesting case, which has been accepted by Halifax as a genuine hardship.

We will all be able to learn from this case I am sure including me.

xx
                  Last edited by TUTTSI; 19th September 2008, 22:41:PM. Reason: correction

Comment

OK, here is a draft response for comment, amendment, adaption etc etc etc

Dear Halifax,

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx in which you agree my financial hardship situation and offer me a full refund, without liability, of £28 in respect of the single default charge applied within the last 6 years.

I note your comments regarding the remainder of the default charges in that they were applied to my account pre six years and that you consider that this part of my claim to be time barred under the Limitation Act 1980.

However, I am fully aware that the Limitation Act 1980 makes reference, under Section 32, to the fact that the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the Claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake ( as the case may be ) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

As stated in my original letter, dated xx/xx/xxxx, I believe that every single default charge applied to my account since 1990 is an unlawful penalty charge. I did not become aware of this until the OFT published the report “Calculating fair default charges in credit card contracts” in April 2006. The report states that the principals covered have wider implications for analogous standard default terms in other agreements including those for mortgages, current bank accounts and storecards.

In your response you state that you “are satisfied that these default charges have been correctly applied” It therefore appears that are electing to present these charges as if they were a legitimate loss or cost following the breaches of contract to which they relate. However, you fail to provide a breakdown of these charges or explain how they relate to your actual costs. Since opening my account you have been in the privileged position of being able to withdraw monies in respect of these default charges and I believe I am entitled to know whether they actually represent a justifiable business cost. I believe that your failure to disclose the true costs is sufficient evidence that you have been acting without true accountability to your Customer and are therefore consciously concealing the true nature of these default penalty charges, ie, that you have exercised the contractual terms in respect of default charges with a view to profit.
                    I therefore believe that section s.32 (1)(b) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to my claim on the grounds that I could not reasonably have discovered your deliberate concealment of the facts relevant to my right of action before the referenced OFT report was published in April 2006, or alternatively, that s.32 (1)(c) of the Limitation Act 1980 is applicable to my claim on the grounds that the payments were conceded on the mistaken belief that the said charges and interest thereon did not amount to penalties and that I could not reasonably have discovered the said mistakes before the OFT report was published.

I therefore respectfully request that you reconsider your current position regarding the pre six year default charges applied to my account and amend your without liability offer accordingly.

Yours sincerely Tuttsi

Comment

• Re: Tuttsi V Halifax ( 18 year claim )

"It is sufficient that he knowingly committed it and did not tell the owner anything about it. He did the wrong or committed the breach secretly. By saying nothing he keeps it secret. He conceals the right of action." Lord Denning MR, King V Victor Parsons & Co [1973] 1 WLR 29, 33-34; Lord Millet, Cave Vs Robinson Jarvis & Rolfe [2002] UKHL 18, 20.

"In my opinion, Section 32 deprives a defendant of a limitation defence in two situations: (i)where he takes active steps to conceal his own breach of duty after he has become aware of it; and (ii) where he is guilty of deliberate wrongdoing and conceals or fails to disclose it in circumstances where it is unlikely to be discovered for some time." Lord Millet, Cave Vs Robinson Jarvis & Rolfe [2002] UKHL 18, 25.

By considering the two paragraphs above, if the Bank knew of the unlawfulness of the charges and yet failed to bring this to the attention of the Customer then this would amount to concealment, therefore the request for a refund and any subsequent claim made through the court, would fall within the scope of Section 32.1.b and this Claim would be allowed.

As to when the Bank had sufficient knowledge to consider that their charges may have been unlawful, it is reasonable to use the same test that is applied to the Customer in determining when their knowledge became relevant.

Comment

Excellent Tanz, thank you.

I don't know if the full jurisprudence is necessary at this stage but it would certainly be useful to pop in a POC should that become necessary.

What do you think ??

Budgie

Comment

Excellent Tanz, thank you.

I don't know if the full jurisprudence is necessary at this stage but it would certainly be useful to pop in a POC should that become necessary.

What do you think ??

Budgie
                          Yeah I have quite a lot of limitation bits and bobs we can call on should we need to Bud. I have always been interested in this as it angers me that they should even contemplate using section 5 as a defence when its abundantly clear to me and you that they were fully aware of the fact that their charges were more than their costs and they chose to forget to tell us, I think not, its down right concealment and we just need to word it all right to make it stick.

The real issue and sticking point is often the word "deliberate" as you probably are aware mate.

In the Review of Banking Services in the UK, Chapter 7 indicated that the cost of an automatic credit transfer was around 10p, paying in cheques 45p by whatever method and using a branch counter for any transaction £1.00

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/Documents/Financial_Services/Banking/BankReview/fin_bank_reviewfinal.cfm

For a bank to charge £30+ this would indicate that costs passed on to consumers had little if anything to do with the individual cost of the consumers breach of contract.

Comment

Also just spotted this post by Smasher ( Overdrive ) on his new site ( British Consumer )

Interesting !

"I'm not sure if this has been highlighted anywhere else, certainly the pre-6 year claims have been in full swing for a long time yet, but I wonder if anyone has used the findings of the OFT study in their claim for charges older than 6 years?

My point is this.. The OFT stated in their recent report:
                            "We found that the banks earn over 30 per cent of all their revenues from insufficient funds charges.

Although banks apply charges in different ways the unit price for charges, where applied, is similar across suppliers. Overall the level of individual charges has gone up considerably in the last seven years whether adjusted for inflation or not. This is particularly the case for paid item fees, which increased from an average of £16 to £28, a nominal increase of 75 per cent over the period.

The 16 banks lent £680 million as unarranged overdrafts in 2006.
                            If the insufficient funds charges (excluding charges for unpaid items) of £1.5 billion in 2006 were treated as the cost of borrowing on the £0.68 billion average unarranged overdraft balance over the year for the 16 banks, we estimate that the annual interest rate would be more than 220 per cent. While short term loans are distinct in their short duration and can be expensive to administer, this level of charging compares unfavourably with many similar forms of lending such as credit cards and personal loans."

So, with the above in mind and now looking to the use of S. 31.2(b) of the limitations act 1980 which states that the limitation period of 6 years may be postponed if: any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant

There is no way that these two could possibly mix. It is inconceivable that a bank wouldn't have been aware where over 30% of their total income was coming from. This together with the way they all restructured their T&Cs to get around the law regarding penalty charges for the purpose of the test case provides quite a strong argument in my opinion."

Comment

Hi Budgie

Thanks for the find - of info which I agree with you is a fantastic finding.

The letter has not gone yet and was going to send it today, do I need to add anymore info to it before it is posted in light of the extra info you have found. Or do we keep this for the argument! I will hold up the letter untill I hear from you.

Also, it occurred to me reading that artcle "they found banks earn over 30% of all their revenues from insufficient bank charges" Being that this is an OFT statement and in line with the Abbey hardship claims interim settlements at 65% sounds to me like the OFT and the banks may cap all the claims at arround £12 like the credit cards. As the figures are coming out extremely close.

xx

Comment

Also just spotted this post by Smasher ( Overdrive ) on his new site ( British Consumer )

Interesting !

"I'm not sure if this has been highlighted anywhere else, certainly the pre-6 year claims have been in full swing for a long time yet, but I wonder if anyone has used the findings of the OFT study in their claim for charges older than 6 years?

My point is this.. The OFT stated in their recent report:
                                "We found that the banks earn over 30 per cent of all their revenues from insufficient funds charges.

Although banks apply charges in different ways the unit price for charges, where applied, is similar across suppliers. Overall the level of individual charges has gone up considerably in the last seven years whether adjusted for inflation or not. This is particularly the case for paid item fees, which increased from an average of £16 to £28, a nominal increase of 75 per cent over the period.

The 16 banks lent £680 million as unarranged overdrafts in 2006.
                                If the insufficient funds charges (excluding charges for unpaid items) of £1.5 billion in 2006 were treated as the cost of borrowing on the £0.68 billion average unarranged overdraft balance over the year for the 16 banks, we estimate that the annual interest rate would be more than 220 per cent. While short term loans are distinct in their short duration and can be expensive to administer, this level of charging compares unfavourably with many similar forms of lending such as credit cards and personal loans."

So, with the above in mind and now looking to the use of S. 31.2(b) of the limitations act 1980 which states that the limitation period of 6 years may be postponed if: any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant

There is no way that these two could possibly mix. It is inconceivable that a bank wouldn't have been aware where over 30% of their total income was coming from. This together with the way they all restructured their T&Cs to get around the law regarding penalty charges for the purpose of the test case provides quite a strong argument in my opinion."
                                I would also add this:

"It has taken a high court test case between the Office of Fair Trading and several High Street Banks to identify the complexities of bank charges applied to current accounts. Therefore with this in mind it is highly unlikely that a Litigant in Person could have been expected to identify fully that they had a course of action prior to the OFT's initial investigation into credit card charges of April 2006. Although it is agreed that this initial report related to default charges on credit card accounts this is when I first started to look into whether it applied to current account charges and my suspisions and the suspisions of many others that the charges were able to be assessed for fairness under the UTCCR 1999, were upheld by the Judge in this recent test case in his initial judgment on **/**/2008"

Or words to that effect.
                                Last edited by TANZARELLI; 23rd September 2008, 09:47:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X