• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shopping at Asda.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping at Asda.

I nipped into Asda last week to buy teabags milk and a couple of items. I got stopped by the security man at the front door telling me I was barred from the store as I had not paid for items I had purchased the night before. I looked in my bag and found a receipt for £28.00 which I spent on Sunday and £15. odds which I spent on Monday but couldn't find a receipt for the night in question. He told me I had not paid for my shopping and would not find one. This was reported to the police as theft. I rang the police from my mobile and they asked me for a case no. I did not have one and the Security man spoke to them from my phone. He took my phone in store to talk to them so I did not hear the conversation. I came home in an awful state and got in touch with the Constable concerned. She actyually finished that night at 5pm for 2 weeks holidays but because I sounded so distressed about it she rang me from her house phone. She explained that I had scanned my shopping, started to pay for them and then a gentleman that I know from shopping in Asda came over to speak to me at the self service till. I walked out of the store with him and had left a balance at the till of 29 pence still to pay. I have tried e-mailing head office and ringing our local store manager but they have said I am barred for a year. This store is very close to where I live and I have been shopping in Asda (and Safeway) as it was before for many years. I have explained to them that I am a pensioner and am blind in one eye and know where everything is in store but to no avail. My ban will be reviewed in a years time. I cannot get this out of my head and am really worried over this. I have to wait until atfer the 10th Sepember until the Constable comes back from holiday. Is there anything else I can do
    Tags: None

Re: Shopping at Asda.

The security man handed me a form and asked me to fill it in. I was crying and my hands were shaking so much I could not fill it in. He said he would say I was un cooperative customer. I said I was not being uncooperative I was just so upset I could not fill it in because my hands were shaking so much and if he would fill it in for me I would sign it. He filled it in for me and I signed it which was a form telling me I was barred from the store

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqui View Post
      The security man handed me a form and asked me to fill it in. I was crying and my hands were shaking so much I could not fill it in. He said he would say I was un cooperative customer. I said I was not being uncooperative I was just so upset I could not fill it in because my hands were shaking so much and if he would fill it in for me I would sign it. He filled it in for me and I signed it which was a form telling me I was barred from the store
      Hi Welcome to LB,

What an awful experience and all over 29 pence??

Your next move must be a FORMAL COMPLAINT to the CEO of Asda.

nem

Comment

I know I am devastated over 29 pence. I did write to Andy Clarke COE as advised on another post and this was their reply

RE: 29p not paid for in Asda

Directorate (Directorate@asda.co.uk)
        Add to contacts
        28/08/2015

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write to Andy Clarke regarding the decision to ban you from our store. My name is Emma and I am part of Andy’s Executive Relations Team. He has asked me to look into this and respond to you directly on his behalf.

I’m sorry to read the decision has been made to ban you from our store. I can appreciate how disappointing this must be for you.

We are always happy to welcome all customers into our stores, however we do have the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason. We never take the decision to ban a customer from our stores lightly, and we'll always look for a different solution first. That said any ban is made with the full support of our managerial team in store. My colleagues in store know the circumstances of the banning order and so their decision is final.

Our managerial team in store review any banning order after 12 months following the initial ban. If you would like them to review this, you will need to write to Mary Magill directly in August 2016 at the following address.

Comment

I know I am devastated over 29 pence. I did write to Andy Clarke COE as advised on another post and this was their reply

RE: 29p not paid for in Asda

Directorate (Directorate@asda.co.uk)
          Add to contacts
          28/08/2015

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to write to Andy Clarke regarding the decision to ban you from our store. My name is Emma and I am part of Andy’s Executive Relations Team. He has asked me to look into this and respond to you directly on his behalf.

I’m sorry to read the decision has been made to ban you from our store. I can appreciate how disappointing this must be for you.

We are always happy to welcome all customers into our stores, however we do have the right to refuse entry to anyone for any reason. We never take the decision to ban a customer from our stores lightly, and we'll always look for a different solution first. That said any ban is made with the full support of our managerial team in store. My colleagues in store know the circumstances of the banning order and so their decision is final.

Our managerial team in store review any banning order after 12 months following the initial ban. If you would like them to review this, you will need to write to Mary Magill directly in August 2016 at the following address.
          Clearly this has not been investigated fully and guess " Andy" never even set eyes on the letter!
          A Formal Complaint would compel them to investigate and respond within 56 days. Mark the letter Personal/ Private / Confidential.

My feelings would also be to get in touch with local newspapers can you see the headline " Asda Bars Pensioner of 29 Pence" on the front page of a paper Asda may well sell in the store.

nem

Comment

I live in the country and Asda is the only local store close to me except 2 petrol stations. If I go to the local papers they will just ban me for life instead of reviewing it after one year. That's the way the big stores have you. I have not been well since this happened and cannot get it out of my head. When ironing I am using an iron which I bought in Asda. Making dinner I am using Asda gravy. I rang my store and the Manager said she would get back to me Saturday. No word Saturday. Rang Sunday she said Monday but no word. Rang tonight and she was away home. She will probably not go against the Security man's decision

Comment

I live in the country and Asda is the only local store close to me except 2 petrol stations. If I go to the local papers they will just ban me for life instead of reviewing it after one year. That's the way the big stores have you. I have not been well since this happened and cannot get it out of my head. When ironing I am using an iron which I bought in Asda. Making dinner I am using Asda gravy. I rang my store and the Manager said she would get back to me Saturday. No word Saturday. Rang Sunday she said Monday but no word. Rang tonight and she was away home. She will probably not go against the Security man's decision
              Well if you don't want to go to the papers, just write back to Andy Clark telling him you don;t believe the matter has been investigated properly, you appreciate they can ban you from the store over an error involving 29p, and you are considering telling the local paper about the horrendous treatment you have received and you are sure he would like to review the position in the next 7 days before there is any adverse publicity.
              Big boys aren't the only people who can threaten, even if you don't intend to follow through:beagle2222:

Comment

I did say I was going to go to the Stephen Nolan show which is a local radio show and tthe local papers. They said it was theft, whether it be29p or £29,00. They said if they let every customer during the past 6 months off with 29 pence it would be a big hole in their profits The security man looked at the CCTV again and said its simple. I did not pay but I said it was a genuine mistake

Comment

You told the local branch you were going to the papers?
                  Now tell the boss.
                  Do you really think they would ban you for ever? Almost impossible to enforce!

Comment

Here is his direct email address. I damn well feel like emailing him myself. This is disgusting.
                    Mr Andy Clarke Chief Executive
                    Email andy.clarke@asda.co.uk

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                    ~ Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by PAWS View Post
                      Here is his direct email address. I damn well feel like emailing him myself. This is disgusting.
                      Mr Andy Clarke Chief Executive
                      Email andy.clarke@asda.co.uk
                      I did e-mail Andy Clarke at that e-mail address and the reply is printed above. I posted a letter to him this morning by first class marked Private and Confidental and will let you all know the outcome next week. Thanks a lot. It even feels better to talk about it with others. I phoned the local store on Friday and they said they would get back to me Saturday before lunchtime. No word so I rang Saturday afternoon and they said Monday. I rang Tuesday evening and they said Manager had finished for the day so I am getting nowhere with them either. I have come through Cancer and two heart attacks and did not feel as bad as this. Thank you all for your comments.

Comment

Sorry Jacqui I thought you had written the last time. You could whack off an email to this fella.

Mr Doug McMillon CEO of Wal Mart.
                        Email doug.mcmillon@wal-mart.com
                        They are the Asda parent company and, well, what have you got to lose?

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
                        ~ Anonymous

Comment

The whole thing is a farce, 29 pence missed payment any reasonable ( I think reasonableness is the key here) company would have quietly spoken to Jacqui when she returned to the store.

nem

Comment

I know you are worried about being banned for life if you go to the local paper but to be fair I wouldn’t darken their door again anyway. I know it is the closest supermarket but is their anyway you would consider shopping online from one of the other stores. I know they charge for delivery and if this is a problem is there anyone who could ‘pick up’ for you if you did click and collect?
                            Do you know this has really put me off ever using ASDA again? It gives a whole new angle to that bum slapping add. Anyway, their staff keep most of the marked down stuff for themselves and if you factor in offers etc. Sainsbury’s can often work out better value especially with their Nectar points and price match promise. I would even go to ‘two for the price of three’ Waitrose than go near this lot again!
                            This sort of behaviour makes my blood boil!

~ Anonymous

Comment

BTW, Isn’t Dom’ looking for some juicy cases?

~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X