• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finance Debt sold to Marlin Financial Services

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finance Debt sold to Marlin Financial Services

Oh i'm mistaken, Advent/Computeach must be one of the few companies they dont have something to do with! Look how many companies this lot have.. scarey!

http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/904884644
    http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/905685842
    http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/903801042

Comment

That's a really interesting article gravytrain. Unfortunately Barclays Partner Finance really dont want to know. They are really dodgy as well, they dont reply to letters and claim to have sent letters they never have then they just send you backdated letters pretending they had sent them all along. They lie through their teeth.

BPF are adament that the alternative course they have provided is equal to, or better than the original course we signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by CheesedOffCharlie View Post
        That's a really interesting article gravytrain. Unfortunately Barclays Partner Finance really dont want to know. They are really dodgy as well, they dont reply to letters and claim to have sent letters they never have then they just send you backdated letters pretending they had sent them all along. They lie through their teeth.

BPF are adament that the alternative course they have provided is equal to, or better than the original course we signed up for.
        Some years ago I was studying with computeach so I know exactly how this company operates they waste your time with endless internal exams and fail you, the reason is to slow up or dam up as many students as they can to fill a class room for the practical days.. all of a sudden you all pass.
        I wasted about 8 months before I realized I was wasting my time, I put it all down to a bad experience and I paid my loan off because it was my own doing to drop out.

But this business with advent I did not even get a chance to start my course I was out of the country until 18th January, and with what I have been reading I am certain I was lied to by advent in a big way, at the time when the rep wanted to sign me up he kept asking me can you pay a larger cash deposit instead of getting the money through the loan I said why when the loan is interest free, I am sure he knew that they would be closed in a few weeks time.

This morning with Marlin the rep lied through her teeth when she told me they have no legal obligations to supply a "true signed copy of Deed of Assignment".
        From what I have been reading Marlin Must supply a copy when I requested it otherwise they are committing a criminal offense.

the letters that barclays sent us have no names and the one signature on the barclays letter is unreadable.

I could knock up a similar letter myself here at home and since I do not need to put a name or signature it must be as legal a document as theirs??.

The fact that both letters arrived in same envelope rings bells, the fact that the marlin rep did not have a copy of my signed credit agreement rings even more bells.

I have had 4 debt collectors sent to me thanks to barclays over the past few years each one when challenged to supply these documents failed to do so and instead barclays would post me a copy of my credit agreement.. not the debt collecting agency.

Last year I had started to look into taking barclays to county court since for me I only want back the money I am out of pocket plus expenses and to make them stop harassing me, but when I was chatting with another student about it he mentioned he had not long spoken on the phone with them and had been told that barclays were writing off the loans, thats what made me stop I wish now I had continued.

Now I will have to look into it again and if Marlins does start to cause trouble I will add them to the queue.

I wonder if I can get legal aid since I am still not working after all this time?.

Comment

Oh i'm mistaken, Advent/Computeach must be one of the few companies they dont have something to do with! Look how many companies this lot have.. scarey!

http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/904884644
          http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/905685842
          http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/903801042
          Bums On Seats, innit?

Comment

One would expect that it hardly matters that Sharkleys would much rather not admit any liability under s75 of the CCA, but the facts remain that they are a party to a restricted credit, debtor-creditor-supplier agreement, as defined by sections 11 (link) and 12 (link) of the Act. and that the supplier failed to provide the service thereby breaching the contract. S75 (link) is quite unequivocal - the creditor is jointly and severally liable with the supplier to the debtor for any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract.

(Sharkleys) are adamant that the alternative course they have provided is equal to, or better than the original course we signed up for.
            Well, they would be, wouldn't they?

Unfortunately for them, it is not really a matter for them to decide as is made plain by section 75A (4) - suitability is for the debtor to decide - and s75A (6a) - s75A does not apply to agreements for less than £30,000. S75 does, however, still apply.

Comment

So forgive my ignorance but what is the relationship between Barclay's and the original trainer, are they partners or do they just provide the finance to the applicants ?

Comment

Even if Sharkleys "only" provided finance, they are still a party to a restricted credit, creditor-debtor-supplier agreement and, under s75 of the CCA, they are jointly and severally liable for any misrepresentation made to the debtor by the supplier (or his agents) as well as any breach of contract by the supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                  So forgive my ignorance but what is the relationship between Barclay's and the original trainer, are they partners or do they just provide the finance to the applicants ?
                  As far as I understand it Barclays is just a finance company, if they had truly been in partnership they would not have shafted the training companies by removing their backing with very short notice.

It all started when a new director started at Barclaycard (the parent company of Barclays partner finance) in September 2009 ,she decided that they was too exposed with loans to training companies and it was towards end of November when they informed the training companies of their end of funding.
                  Shortly after a string of training companies all who had backing from Barclays closed taking all money paid by student loans with them.. no doubt they emptied the bank accounts first then closed.
                  all this information is available on the web just do searches with keywords.

What I want to know is how advent managed to sneak past my application because it was a matter of a few weeks before they closed from when Barclays pulled the plug and yet they managed to get a loan for someone who was unemployed.
                  credit checks could not have been done by Barclays and when I challenged them about this their reply was "I should have made sure I had the means to repay the loan at the time I applied"..seriously?.
                  I have a document from advent that states I was unemployed at the time... someone lied and it was not me.
                  Last edited by 10pack; 14th January 2013, 16:45:PM.

Comment

Clydesdale Bank t/a Barclays Partner Finance just financed for the scam course. Its funny, when we were 'accepted' for the finance they never run any kind of check on my boyfriend. The first time Clydesdale ever logged into my boyfriends credit report was when we stopped paying. Even then they didnt record anything in his file.

Also the finance agreement was never signed by a representative. The cooling off period should have started from the time my boyfriend received their signed copy of the agreement which didnt happen. The carbon copy that was left with us just had my boyfriends signature on it. When we pointed this out to Barclays Partner Finance they supplied a copy of the agreement with their signature but they could have signed that whenever they wanted to.

They've been financing these courses since before they even started trading as BPF. I found complaints online going back years. They were fully aware of the issues with the course and loads of people stopped paying them.

Comment

Looks like they have history on here also

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...artner+finance

Comment

Yes I know Fuzzbutt, she was the one who took Barclays partner finance to country court last year and won.
                        They sent 2 lawyers and a barclays manager to the court room to intimidate her but she still faced them down and won, but they managed to manipulate the judges decision in some way I don't remember how, she did not get all the money back that she was claiming but she did win her case.

Comment

BPF are screwing over thousands of people I'd say by financing these scam home learning courses. They are very used to complaints from the students which they pretend is news to them and you get the "we'll investigate" crap.

I have been fighting them with the FOS as well, and of course they found in favour of BPF. They said, why did my boyfriend do the course for a year before we decided the course wasnt fit for purpose. We told them in all the sent to them and over the telephone what happened. When my boyfriend got stuck on the coursework, he phoned the training provider and got no help so I was trying to help him out by looking for information online. I come across forum after forum after forum of people fighting these people as the qualifications were rubbish. He wasnt going to be qualified or employable on completion of the course.

We was dumb, we believed everything we were told by the salesman and it was all lies and we just didnt know. Just like everyone else who got sucked into the same con.

Comment

Originally posted by 10pack View Post
                            As far as I understand it Barclays is just a finance company,
                            Yes.

Adolf Hitler was only a corporal.

Originally posted by 10pack View Post
                            It all started when a new director started at Barclaycard (the parent company of Barclays partner finance) in September 2009 ,she decided that they was too exposed with loans to training companies and it was towards end of November when they informed the training companies of their end of funding.
                            Shortly after a string of training companies all who had backing from Barclays closed taking all money paid by student loans with them.. no doubt they emptied the bank accounts first then closed.
                            all this information is available on the web just do searches with keywords.

What I want to know is how advent managed to sneak past my application because it was a matter of a few weeks before they closed from when Barclays pulled the plug and yet they managed to get a loan for someone who was unemployed.
                            credit checks could not have been done by Barclays and when I challenged them about this their reply was "I should have made sure I had the means to repay the loan at the time I applied"..seriously?.
                            I have a document from advent that states I was unemployed at the time... someone lied and it was not me.
                            It seems self-evident that Advent may have been trading whilst insolvent and that BPF was accepting loan applications without checking credit status or that the supplier would be able to perform its contractual obligations.

The joint and several liability of Barclays isn't new - they just ignored it and, when that failed, they blagged it.

Comment

Can you please check dates on your letters from marlin and barclays?

I just noticed something odd, the barclays letter states loan was transferred on 20th December 2012.. but BOTH letters are dated 2nd January.. I am wondering when and who printed these documents??

Comment

Hello,

I checked it, our letters are dated the 2nd Jan on both letters and its saying it was transferred on the 20th December. Do you notice the Marlin letter isnt signed at all. So BPF printed it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X