• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it safe to contest the CCA?

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
    Someone on CAG has told me that the OC's don't need to send a copy of the CCA at all (reconstructed or otherwise). Only the original t&c. Is this correct? If it is, how can you check the copy statements against the agreed interest rate? Oh, and Barclays are refusing to send me statements older than 6 years so it looks win-win for them. But can this be right?
    No, incorrect!

Withe regards to statements, creditors normally only retain same for 6 years.
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    The Unfair Relationships Test:
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...act/oft854.pdf
    Last edited by Angry Cat; 8th September 2010, 12:26:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post

Amethyst in full Yoda mode
      pmsl, proud he would be
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

AC

Withe regards to statements, creditors normally only retain same for 6 years.
        I always thought that creditors had to retain all such information for 6 years after the account closed under the Money Laundering Acts.

Posts on other sites suggest that many if not all banks have retained full info of accounts back as far as the 1930's.

They can hide under the 'disproportionate effort' clause in the SAR regulations I believe to avoid locating older statements.

Comment

Actually, the Bank Of England requires financial institutions to keep such records and data for 11 years, not 6 years. There is regulatory legislation which enforces this. Unless the legislation has been withdrawn (and I doubt it has) then they are still bound by it (it also applies to telephone recordings though the time-limit is less on those).

How do I know all this ? Well I have been involved in the design of quite a few computer solutions for Financial Institutions down the years and it forms part of the Security requirements.

So they may claim they only keep it for 6 years, but it is more likely it is simply archived and they can't be arsed to find it.

I've not dealt with a bank for more than 16 months now, but I am sure I would have heard about it if the BoE had withdrawn such legislation.

Comment

lol data protection dont apply when your in litigation, they cant rely on he DPA period

there is a duty to carry out a search under the disclosure duties, thats where i would screw them down
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I wasn't referring to Data Protection. I was referring to specific Bank Of England legislation. Can't remember the particular name of that legislation, but I may be able to find it again when I am back in work.

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post
                AC

I always thought that creditors had to retain all such information for 6 years after the account closed under the Money Laundering Acts.

Posts on other sites suggest that many if not all banks have retained full info of accounts back as far as the 1930's.

They can hide under the 'disproportionate effort' clause in the SAR regulations I believe to avoid locating older statements.
                Yes middenmiss, they do have to under The Money Laundering Regs ( I did not mention this fact, for fear of confusing some members). They also keep their own private Bank ledgers.

Re: SAR's, they can sometimes also use the legal exemption...basically they withold information.
                Incidentally and for the record, I have it black and white that RBS only retain data for 6 years;
                I reminded them about the Money Laundering Regs;
                RBS, chose to ignore my letter...
                Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                lol data protection dont apply when your in litigation, they cant rely on he DPA period

there is a duty to carry out a search under the disclosure duties, thats where i would screw them down

Yes, that is the only way to obtain the information.
                Last edited by Angry Cat; 8th September 2010, 13:14:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

AC, with regards to statement information you know that it is a lie. Online banking goes back 7 years.

Online statements- RBS - The Royal Bank of Scotland
                  In fact, I'll go further, my HR File from RBS Group included my P45(the original of which they chose to send to an old address) which went back to 1999 when I first worked for them. HR file was sent last year so, yes they do have the information if they look for it, lol!
                  Last edited by leclerc; 8th September 2010, 13:20:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                    AC, with regards to statement information you know that it is a lie. Online banking goes back 7 years.

Online statements- RBS - The Royal Bank of Scotland
                    Yes leclerc, I had deduced that the statement was economical with the truth.
                    Also, there is the little matter about their router/ghost accounts...

RBS, do not appear to retain their log comms, either?
                    Last edited by Angry Cat; 8th September 2010, 13:29:PM.

Comment

Has the general statement from the Banks about only keeping details for 6 years ever been challenged in a court case.

Has a LIP or even better a barrister ever asked the question..

''For how many years do you store your customer's account details or retain access to customer's account details?''

or more pertinently ''Back to what exact date do you retain my client's details and as this dispute between my client and yourselves has taken X months to reach this stage have you continued to destroy or otherwise dispose of their details during this period?''

If the answer to the first part comes back as 6 years then as people have actually received information older than the 6 years in the form of microfiched agreements etc. then surely they have put themselves to the sword.

If they state 6 years are they really suggesting that they have zillions of minions destroying gazillions of records every minute of every day as that data reaches it's 6th birthday?

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                        Hi. Can you elaborate on this please?

Comment

PART 31 - DISCLOSURE AND INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS - Ministry of Justice
                          Duty of search

(1) When giving standard disclosure, a party is required to make a reasonable search for documents falling within rule 31.6(b) or (c).

(2) The factors relevant in deciding the reasonableness of a search include the following –
                          (a) the number of documents involved;

(b) the nature and complexity of the proceedings;

(c) the ease and expense of retrieval of any particular document; and

(d) the significance of any document which is likely to be located during the search.

(3) Where a party has not searched for a category or class of document on the grounds that to do so would be unreasonable, he must state this in his disclosure statement and identify the category or class of document.
                          (Rule 31.10 makes provision for a disclosure statement)
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I fail to see how you can "screw them" on that. It makes no reference to any responsibilty to go back to the commencement of an account. They would just say "its too expensive to keep records for more than 6 years."

Comment

CCA Cases - 2009 & 2010

- in firms favour

Slater v Egg
                              Carey v HSBC
                              Amex v Brandon
                              Amex v Duffy
                              Kneale v Barclaycard
                              Blackhorse v Speak
                              SPML v Walker
                              Brooks v Northern Rock
                              Sternlight and Others v Various banks
                              Napier v HFC
                              Teasdale v HSBC
                              Brophy v HFC
                              Shaw v Nine Regions
                              Armstrong v Amex
                              Heath v SPML
                              McGuffick v RBS
                              Blackhorse v Hanson

Countycourt/forums
                              ccman v cabot (goldfish)
                              hunni2006 v cabot

- in consumers favour

Durkin v DSG Retail
                              Crutchely v Godebt
                              Yates v Nemo (PPI)
                              Woollerton v Blackhorse (PPI)
                              MBNA v Thouris (PPI)

countycourt/forum
                              MBNA v McCullagh
                              Arrow Global v Devlin
                              HFC Bank Limited v Mrs H
                              Phoenix Recoveries v Dr C
                              Cabot Financial UK Limited v Mr and Mrs P
                              DLC / Hillsden v Mr L

If I have any of these wrong please tell me and I'll switch them, or if there are any other positives. I've left of Bleman v Thomas as it was settled out of court because Blemain ditchd it as their case was flawed, and I completely understand a number of cases are settled out of court, however these are the growing precedents the bank have to rely on so out of court settlements are reducing when using cca arguments on the technical side.

Ref Blemain v Thomas -
                              on whether a failure to accurately state the repayments due under three secured loan agreements, due to the creditor's computer system being unable to calculate fractions of pence, rendered the agreements unenforceable under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.127(3). Considers whether the discrepancies could be ignored because de minimis.
                              And I'd love to have more positive for the consumer judgments from 2009/2010 please.

Crutchley v Godebt - need a copy of please

Has Cabot v hunni2006 (CAG) been reported/unreported anywhere, also shall we do a list of wins/losses on forums using CCA Arguments - might help research.
                              Last edited by Amethyst; 19th October 2010, 14:17:PM.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

so you're basically agreeing that tackling them using standard disclosure is waste of time from the consumers perspective?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X