• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Crunch Christmas (319 days) PK started early

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Crunch Christmas (319 days) PK started early

Credit crunch Christmas: Bargain bonanza for shoppers as prices are slashed up to 70%

Christmas shoppers on Oxford Street in London

Prices are being cut by up to 70 per cent this weekend as retailers prepare for a 'bargain basement' Christmas.

Around half of families are tipped to spend less this year on food and presents than they did last time.

Part of this will be due to the discounts on their regular purchases - but customers are also expected to go without many favourites in the credit crunch.

The Mintel research came ahead of the traditional start to the festive shopping season.

Sales and vouchers offering huge savings are available from today, with retailers promising the best bargains in 30 years.

Some of the major names promising deals are Debenhams, with savings of up to 50 per cent on items for the home and partywear, House of Fraser, M&S, furniture and electrical chains.

Laura Ashley and Bhs are also offering big savings on lighting and other items.
    M&S has its three-for-two festive deal on gifts. Stores are distributing hundreds of thousands of discount vouchers to try to kick-start shopping.

Figures from the British Retail Consortium show that electrical goods and fashions are cheaper than they were a year ago, with further falls in the pipeline.

Re: Credit Crunch Christmas (43 days)

Wont really help those who have just lost their jobs though as they wont have any money to spend. One good thing is maybe the true meaning of christmas may be appreciated a bit more this year rather than the materialistic side.
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
      Wont really help those who have just lost their jobs though as they wont have any money to spend. Exactly Scoobs, although I fear things will get worse on that front too sadly. We can't stop Christmas coming, all I would like is for us to try and discourage people from spending money they havent got. From buying stuff they can ill afford and if that's not possible then at least see if we can save some a few bob.
      So the idea of this thread and it may just disappear lol, is to start searching out the bargains, looking for cheaper alternatives and generally trying to make Christmas a little better for some.

One good thing is maybe the true meaning of christmas may be appreciated a bit more this year rather than the materialistic side.
      I myself am not a religious person, I still do like all the nativity stuff and carols etc.
      I do agree with you about the materialistic stuff but alas I think we are beyond that now. Our own doing IMHO but there you go.

So come on peeps get your bargains on here, any alternatives, any inside info on what will be hard to find that the kids desperately (need).
      Also if you are going to find this Christmas a lot tougher than usual and you just need to let rip then carry on, always someone ready to listen. Enaid x

Comment

I hope it helps to bring about the true meaning of christmas too but I doubt it. It will shove more people into debt as kids still want the latest games console...I have a neighbour, recently split from partner, middle of reposession proceedings, on benefits has just taken out a loan with a doorstep lender to buy her kids nintendos etc for christmas.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

my work colleague is not religious either but she has decided - no presents

Just a big family get together with everyone contributing food. Mainly to relieve all the stress as well as money considerations.

But she has not got small children so its probably a bit easier to make that choice.
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Amethyst

I know what you mean

there sems to be guilt if you dont get all the latest gadgets - but I know my kids used to get more pleasure from playing with the empty boxes and making a camp from them when they were younger.

Its all the advertising that makes the pressure - for toys that are not played with for long and then forgotten.
          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
          Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          I hope it helps to bring about the true meaning of christmas too but I doubt it. It will shove more people into debt as kids still want the latest games console...I have a neighbour, recently split from partner, middle of reposession proceedings, on benefits has just taken out a loan with a doorstep lender to buy her kids nintendos etc for christmas.

And that is frightening - but not surprising
          Last edited by scoobydoo; 12th November 2008, 09:16:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Prob not the best place to post it but anyway.

If you pay direct debit for your utilities, check whether you are in credit with them, and if so ask for it to be returned. I just got £110 back form my electricity supplier, so that will come in handy for xmas.
            This is the second time i have done this and the supplier is fine with doing it, they were the ones who suggested it to me last time.
            YOuve nowt to lose by checking

Comment

I know it is probably too late for everyone else now, but we have been saving all our small change for a couple of months now it soon mounts up and that will be used for all the food etc for Christmas day.
              Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

We've been buying savers stamps for the last couple of months from Morrisons - to pay for the food at Christmas. Yeah, I know they get the small amount of interest on the dosh, but oh well - we'll have the money there to buy the turkey!

Birdie

x

Comment

I too buy savings stamps from Morrisons and the Tesco Clubcard things I save towards xmas as well.
                  Martin Lewis insists you get far better savings if you use your Tesco things for the Clubcard offers, I still prefer to use mine as I please instore.

Comment

We have one of the old Gallon Vodka bottles that used to be up behind the bar in my old pub, and we put all our small change in there, dunno how much is in there but I bet its going to be a tidy amount.

We've also got a pot we save £2 coins in, and I know that there is quite a bit in there, in fact it will probably go a long way towards us getting away for a week or two after crimbo.

I'm also a member of Park the Hamper Company, we pay in every month and get store vouchers that we give to the kids and grandkids as pressies, so they can go to the sales on Boxing Day and get what they want.

I usually make Crimbo Cakes and Puds for our Friends, but this year due to family stuff I've not done it, so they can all go without for once.

Another saving is to buy your cards, wrapping paper, labels etc in the Jan sales and buy a book of 2nd class stamps each month down the year, job done.

If your skint this year then how about trying out making pickles, preserves etc and giving them as pressies, in a nicely dressed jar, or even make up a hamper. Nice box, fancy paper and viola a cheap and cheerful pressie thats practical as well. You could also do the same with cheap smellies and other things.

Comment

If you see any Christmassy type food on offer now, when you know it will go up at Christmas, then buy it now and stick it in the freezer.

PK's idea about getting back the credits on your dd's is brill - but I'm only £4.61 in credit so don't think I'll bother this year
                      Is no longer here

Comment

I have been buying a lot on Ebay again, BUT you need to price match with other sites. I just bought a DS for yougest from hong kong for £95 with 25 games. Its the old style DS, but it beats any deal on Ebay or in game/gamestation ect.

If you buy from out side the EU you wont pay vat or import duty on any thing UNDER £18. So for small things like games just keep it under that. Games for ds ect (cartridge type) have zero import duty anyway. A console has no import duty but you will be charged U.K. VAT. Not all parcels are picked up though, mine how ever always are.

Comment

Sorry Wendy but that made me giggle, luv yer.
                          Bet the horse is fed and watered though xxxxxxxxx

Comment

yeah thats why me freezers full - full of chaff and sugar beet lol.
                            Is no longer here

Comment

Bah Humbug Christmas is cancelled this year.
                              Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
                              Me VS Abbey Win
                              BIL HSBC Credit Card
                              BIL EGG
                              BIL HSBC Loan
                              BIL PPI Win

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X