• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

marstons tv license

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marstons tv license

had a visitor from a marstons bailiff this morning. He woke me up so I was a bit groggy. He explained to me I had a TV license debt which I had actually forgotten about. I paid 1 installment and it had completely slipped my mind and hasn't received any contact through mail or phone from them so had completely forgotten about it. As soon as he turned up he put on his recorder and told me he needed £375 today or he was going to take goods. The breakdown of this was £200 in balance and £175 for him turning up this morning. I explained I had forgotten and would it be fine to settle it in installments and he told me no, it must be made today. I explained to him that I wouldn't be able to do that and get paid on Friday so could possibly pay then. He then left me with a final notice and went on his way. Paying £375 on friday would absolutely cripple me, yet I know it is my fault for letting it slip. Do I have any options but pay it all on Friday?
    Tags: None

Re: marstons tv license

First option wait for the advice you will get on here go from there I expect you will not be paying it all on friday

Comment

Did you allow him entry to your home? Has he levied on any goods? Is this as a result of a Court Fine & if so did you receive a Final Steps Notice? Have you moved?

Comment

No I did not allow him entry. He did not levy on my goods. Yes it is the result of a court fine and I do not remember whether I received a final steps notice but it is possible. I have not moved.

Comment

His fees are wrong. Marstons usually ask for £85 admin charge & £215 to attend - total £300 on top of what is outstanding. His reason for wanting it all is because out of monies collected then the Court must be paid first and the Bailiff therefore only gets his after this. He may well have forgotten that HMCTS will allow payments spread over 6 months.

I would be inclined to contact the Court and ask about the Final Steps Notice though, otherwise I think you may have learned a very hard lesson. I'm assuming you knew about the original fine and were "guilty as charged" or is this one of Capita's usual getting results by the back door.

Comment

Thanks for the information, on second thoughts it may well have been £215 to attend actually. I may have had the amount I owed and his fees the other way round. If I did receive a final steps notice, what happens then? Do I call Marstons and explain that I am allowed to pay over 6 months and pay them the 6th I owe on friday? Is £215 a reasonable fee for them to charge to attend?

Comment

If you did receive the Final Steps Notice then unfortunately you are pretty well stuffed. If you did n't then the FSN is a legal requirement that must be sent before Bailiffs are engaged. As for making payments to them it is a case of negotiation and reminding them that the "6 months" is in their contract. The fee agreement that HMCTS have with the enforcement companies all state £85 admin & £215 attendance, if however goods are levied etc then that would be extra. Please bear in mind that the Distress warrant he has does confer them forcing entry although this should be agreed by the Court first.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                If you did receive the Final Steps Notice then unfortunately you are pretty well stuffed. If you did n't then the FSN is a legal requirement that must be sent before Bailiffs are engaged. As for making payments to them it is a case of negotiation and reminding them that the "6 months" is in their contract. The fee agreement that HMCTS have with the enforcement companies all state £85 admin & £215 attendance, if however goods are levied etc then that would be extra. Please bear in mind that the Distress warrant he has does confer them forcing entry although this should be agreed by the Court first.
                So is the 6 month payment schedule something they must adhere to or is it optional? Also how do I find out from the court if I received the final steps notice?

Comment

Originally posted by typicaluser View Post
                  So is the 6 month payment schedule something they must adhere to or is it optional? It's something they hope you don't know about. Also how do I find out from the court if I received the final steps notice? Ring the Court where you fined and ask.
                  PT
                  PT

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                    His fees are wrong. Marstons usually ask for £85 admin charge & £215 to attend - total £300 on top of what is outstanding. His reason for wanting it all is because out of monies collected then the Court must be paid first and the Bailiff therefore only gets his after this. He may well have forgotten that HMCTS will allow payments spread over 6 months.
                    Wasn't it brave of the bugger to have recorded his refusal to accept instalments?

Or will his recorder prove to be "faulty" if the recording were to be reviewed?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Wasn't it brave of the bugger to have recorded his refusal to accept instalments?

Or will his recorder prove to be "faulty" if the recording were to be reviewed?
                      According to Marstons, the bodycams are supposed to stamp out bad practices. The burning question is, "Will it?" We can but wait and see.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...s-Courts-Fines

Comment

how can i find out the court I was fined, do I ring up courts in my area and ask? Or would Marstons tell me? I just phoned Marstons and the lady I spoke to told me paying in installments wasn't possible, and that I should talk to the person who came to the door. Very fleeting conversation
                          Last edited by typicaluser; 6th August 2013, 09:12:AM.

Comment

She's a liar.

Comment

A payment arrangement can be made, the bailiff doesn't want to as he gets no money until the debt is repaid in full.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X