• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax and Equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax and Equita

Excellent result Ben, I'm really pleased for you.

Make sure you only pay what you actually owe and not what the bailiffs say you owe.

Happy New Year xx

Comment

Well thanks to you I kept fighting instead of just rolling over and giving in to Equita.

They council stated in their letter to me that they will pay any bailiffs fees incurred.
      (Funny that as I have an email from the same person stating that the DO NOT take case back from bailiffs for this very reason).

Anyway I cant thank everyone whose helped me enough.

Happy new year to you too Amy and keep up the excellent work eh.

Comment

Originally posted by ben13 View Post
        They council stated in their letter to me that they will pay any bailiffs fees incurred.
        (Funny that as I have an email from the same person stating that the DO NOT take case back from bailiffs for this very reason).
        So the council condone Equita charging fraudulent fees, but rather than question their validity will simply compound the problem and pay them, with tax payers' money no less, which in turn gives Equita carte blanche to carry on charging other debtors?

I would make a complaint to the CEO of my council if it were me.

Comment

I already did.

It was the complaint to the CEO which resulted in the council taking back from Equita.

would it be useful to you if I sent you a copy of the letter which I got from the council informing me that they are taking the case back?

Comment

Yes, by all means send it.

It just seems to me that the council are not addressing the issue of the made up fees, but instead are brushing it aside by paying them, which doesn't help anyone in the long run.

Comment

Well I'm still waiting for some correspondence from them so I'll give it til friday and see what else they send.

That way I can scan everythin at once and send it all to you in a oner.

I would have to agree with you on that Amy. It does seem like they're not interested in what the bailiffs do.

Comment

You are in such a great position now; they have agreed to take the debt back, so if you keep on at them there is a chance they might see the light - if you show them how.

Perhaps add it to your list of resolutions...?

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me. Anything to help 'educate' these council, oops sorry I mean Capita employees

Comment

If you like, you could send them an FOI in an effort to ascertain how they deal with bailiffs in general. I have a template if you would like it.

Although that said, some of us did this in March and currently they are with the ICO.

Comment

Yes please that would be great.

I take it the councils just thought they could ignore the FOI requests?

Do you need to send £10 like you do with a SAR?

Comment

Various councils replied to various parts of the request, but in the main it was a lot of nothing. It's not posted up anywhere yet since it hasn't been resolved, but no there is no charge for a FOI, I'll send it to you.

Comment

Sounds like councils seem to think they are a law unto themselves.
                          Thanks Amy

Comment

UPDATE

This morning I have recieved a letter from the council stating 'Due to the substancial amount due and the age of the debt, the minimum payment required is £xxx.xx (ridiculous amount) each month until the arrears are paid'.

'If payments are not made by the due dates the arrangement may be cancelled and the council will commence with alternative recovery action'.

They cant force me to pay what I haven't got!!! So what to do now?

Comment

You go back to them, in writing and propose a sensible payment arrangement. Tell them your circumstances and they have a duty to help the can't-pays as opposed to the won't-pays.

Look at your council's website and there should be details of how they are supposed to help people who are struggling. You may well need to remind them of this, so quote their words in your letter.

Comment

Will do Amy. I'll be firing off an email first thing in the morning. Give them soething nice to read while supping their tea or coffee hey lol.

Thanks for all your help

Ben13

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X