• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Currys faulty samsung oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Currys faulty samsung oven

[QUOTE=Openlaw15;606765].
    - - - dated - -
    Yep, shame we can't have all the facts immediately from OPs to save all the answers being slowly teased out, but we don't all think like lawyers so that's ok [/QUOTE

More than ok it's often a blessing

Comment

Glad you got it sorted. Looks like I will be contacting the CEO as well. 4 month old microwave/oven failed, taken back to the shop. this is used by a 93 year old disabled woman who lives on her own. A reasonable price was paid for the multiple functions. Because of the situation asked if the device could be replaced. Up to 28 days given for repair, Manager says "Not company policy" to replace. OK. So I said could it be delivered to the customer after repair. Guess what, yes you've guessed "Not company policy". OK so you can't replace you going to pay for her meals out. No was the answer. Asked if he would be paying for consequential loss ie the cost of travel twice to the store . Response? of course, you've guessed, it was "Not company policy". This was after the manager starting his spiel that it was all to do with the manufacturer and their hands were tied because it was not their problem. Soon put him right on that, though it did take a while.

Got that off my chest. I knew we shouldn't have taken the lady to Currys in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
        Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
        - - - dated - -
        Yep, shame we can't have all the facts immediately from OPs to save all the answers being slowly teased out, but we don't all think like lawyers so that's ok
        More than ok it's often a blessing
        I agree, sometimes the sheer volume of information posted make life difficult when one is searching for " facts " to work on.
        Goes for over complicated replies to imo.

nem
        Last edited by Kati; 3rd January 2016, 16:56:PM.

Comment

My post wasn't really to have a pop at the EU I was trying to highlight the fact that we have to be careful what we say when asking for a refund, repair or replacement. It has worked out ok for the OP and being within the thirty days warranty wasn't needed but it would have been likely that the handbook for the oven would have stated that a competent person should have installed it. A competent installer would have calculated the load and designated the oven should have had been wired to a suitable outlet with proper protection. From experience a lot of electric ovens draw between 14-20 amps which is too great for a 13amp plug hence why there wasn't a plug fitted. A warranty could be revoked for reasons like this.
          Unfortunately openlaw the post about the payment on the debit card was way before your post on payments using credit card so lesson for all of us is to read posts properly before you do like I have done which is convince yourself you have the answer before you have the read all of the post and understood the problem. As for thinking like lawyers, in my experience they are more interested in thinking whether it is an easy case and good pay day before they start thinking around the real facts. Real justice in this country comes at a high price.

Comment

I had already checked the installation instructions for this appliance, and whilst they say use a competent electrician or whatever , they also say plug into an electrical socket, but use a multipole isolator switch if there are current limitations.
            I think the draw down was about 8 amps, so I didn't bother about commenting.

Comment

Ok I didn't check the instructions prior to this because I didn't want my post to be specific to this OP's problem hence why I didn't comment on a possible fault as well. The instructions state a licensed electrician not competent (some might argue that there is a difference ie licensed doesn't always mean competent) and the rest of what you have printed is correct Des8. The current limitations referred to would be a 13amp supply if applicable which we don't know because I could only see 0.89kwh as the only quoted figure in the book, the manual tells you to reference the panel on the back of the appliance for the exact figures. A switched plug and socket isn't deemed suitable as an isolator because when you switch it off and leave the plug in it hasn't isolated all poles (L,N & E) so a unswitched socket could be used meaning you have to disconnect plug to isolate supply, not always liked due to the potential for sparks, also this is only allowed if the appliance is drawing less than 13 amps. Again though the main point of my earlier post is that saying the wrong thing could automatically hand the supplier or manufacturer a get out of jail free card. If anybody is interested why I haven't commented on the fault it is because 1. lack of temperature could be down to faulty thermostat or insufficient heat input, the thermostat turns on the heat source until it gets to temperature and then turns it off when temperature is reached and then turns heat source back on when temperature has dropped to maintain temperature. Vice versa a working thermostat could turn on the heat source which then gives out insufficient heat to actually satisfy the stat and turn off. Both will give the same result, soggy puddings but for different reasons. This is why engineers test for faults not guess them. 2. The OP didn't need to know the fault just how to resolve the problem of shoddy goods and poor customer service.

Comment

under new legislation no get out clause in 1st 30 days etc

Comment

No get out clause in first 30 days hence no need for warranty call and no need to know possible fault or get into dispute about installation.

Comment

Ah but Currys, in the paperwork I have in front of me, are intimating that out of the goodness of their hearts they will consider giving a refund is there is a defect within 21 days. Hmmmm.

Comment

well they would from experience = means nothing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X