• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Morally wrong to eat horses!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Morally wrong to eat horses!!!

Some people will see it as immorall to eat horses, some see it as immorall to eat any meat, surely all views have to be respected as do those who see no problem with eating it.
    We in the developed world have a great luxury in that we have the choice to pick and choose on these issues, many people on this planet do not know when they will eat again or what they will eat.

Robert Burns the poet articulated in his poem the "twa dogs" ( which was a conversation between two dogs, one the hound of an aristocrat and the other of a farm labourer) how the poor were totally consumed with survival and hadn't time to worry about anything more than a roof over their head and food to eat, but in contrast the aristocrats were no more happier because in their idleness got themselves into all sorts of grief! the poem ends with a lovely line,

"when up they gat,an shook their lugs, rejoiced they wer na men but dogs; An each took off his several way, Resolved to meet some ither day.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
      Of course, but it is not that simple!
      You are like a dog with a bone and I have no intention of changing my view, which is an English cultural view.

[Quote:
      Horse Meat, Cultural Differneces

In Britain, horse meat is pretty much regarded as a taboo. As a result, so it is in most English-speaking countries around the world, like the USA, Ireland and Australia. In these countries, the killing of horses for human consumption is widely opposed, because they are looked on as pets, like dogs and cats, as sporting animals and are not to be treated as meat.[End Quote]
      Do you think you could go into cities like Leeds, or Birmingham, and still see this "English Culture" you mention?

This idea is way out dated, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
        Whilst I understand the sentiment here, personally I do not share it, I do think though, that in this country at least I may be in a minority.
        Hard to tell isn't it GT? On this thread you're certainly in the majority (it's everyone against me and AC which is quite a majority isn't it?) - but IMHO being in the majority - taking the popular view and having a large following - doesn't necessarily mean that you are right. It might coincide with being "right" or it might not. But then, if you are arguing "moral equivalence" there is no right or wrong, is there?

Those amongst you who claim it is a moral imperative to eat horses (or at least to not not eat horses) on the grounds of logic - do please use actual logic rather than rhetorical tricks and logical fallacies to support your arguments. Here's another more reader friendly link on logical fallacies for those who have not spotted them yet http://www.odessa.edu/dept/english/m...ofargument.htm)

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
          Hard to tell isn't it GT? On this thread you're certainly in the majority (it's everyone against me and AC which is quite a majority isn't it?) - but IMHO being in the majority - taking the popular view and having a large following - doesn't necessarily mean that you are right. It might coincide with being "right" or it might not. But then, if you are arguing "moral equivalence" there is no right or wrong, is there?

Those amongst you who claim it is a moral imperative to eat horses (or at least to not not eat horses) on the grounds of logic - do please use actual logic rather than rhetorical tricks and logical fallacies to support your arguments. Here's another more reader friendly link on logical fallacies for those who have not spotted them yet http://www.odessa.edu/dept/english/m...ofargument.htm)
          I don't think this thread is representative if I am honest. I am quite happy to not have horse-meat on the menu if it upsets so many. Regarding the branding argument, i notice that one of the reports mentioned that there were also a high proportion of other meats in many of the (beef) samples, pork, chicken etc, sometimes in larger proportion, i notice that the people who are stating that it is a labeling issue aren't objecting to this, just an observation.

I see where your going with the link by the way, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

"I see where your going with the link by the way, and I agree wholeheartedly. "
            You have absolutely no idea what a relief it is to have someone acknowledge that GT. Alleluia!

Comment

Originally posted by Salmon Man View Post
              Do you think you could go into cities like Leeds, or Birmingham, and still see this "English Culture" you mention?

This idea is way out dated, sorry.
              The quote on horse meat, cultural differences is a direct quote which, yet again, I have hunted down as AC has done what some used to call in my uni days, plagiarism .

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/read...al-taboos.html
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                The quote on horse meat, cultural differences is a direct quote which, yet again, I have hunted down as AC has done what some used to call in my uni days, plagiarism .

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/read...al-taboos.html
                Whether it's plagiarism or not, Leclerc, it's still irrelevant lol

Comment

I know, but you need to let me get this usual forum bug outta the system as was stated in page 9 or 10 of the thread(convo with labman ).

Comment

Well that's how I see it too. The fact that it was copied to this forum suggests that leclerc holds that same train of thought? The point still stands that it is an outdated idea.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                      I know, but you need to let me get this usual forum bug outta the system as was stated in page 9 or 10 of the thread(convo with labman ).
                      doh:doh: not being disingenuous are you Leclerc? (I am a bit slow....)

Comment

Hang on a minute
                        If it is wrong to mislabel something then it is wrong. If it says beef it should be beef, if it says chicken that's what it should be. I do not think there are any double standards there.
                        As someone who eats meat my personal view is that the only immoral part is if the animals are mistreated. So long as the animals are treated as well as they can be then we really shouldn't be squeamish. People endow animals with human emotions, such as dogs knowing when they have done wrong. I am sure they do not know they have done wrong, but they might know that they will be hit for messing in the lounge hence the cowering.
                        Yes I am a hypocrite in that I do not want to eat rabbit or dog or horse but will happily eat beef or a cuddly lamb etc.

I still can't get my head round the morality of eating one animal against another but of course we all have our own set of values, society values, family values (the values that your family gave you not a MrsT type of family values) and then our own values.
                        I will disagree with MissFM and AC about the morality of eating horses but they are entitled to that set of morals.

Comment

As someone who has worked in food production, with a qualification in fish processing, it is a clear sign of poor hygiene and cleansing if there are trace elements of any other animal in your food. This is not something that should be tolerated as inevitable.

Comment

Salmon Man, the majority of cases has been trace elements(if you saw the report on the Irish Food Standards Authority, that is what they stated. However that percentage would be the 1% cases. The 29% horse meat found on one of the tests would suggest that it was not just hygiene but that horsemeat was part of the minimum meat content in the products sold.

As a complete aside, I was in Tesco last night to see if there was any deals on mince......unfortunately there was nothing to my liking

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                              It is trite to say each individuals morals are a matter for themselves
                              Morality is subjective and although heavily influenced by culture, individuals (in the free world at least) have an unchallengeable right to live their lives by which moral code they choose so long as it is within the law.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                                Morality is subjective and although heavily influenced by culture, individuals (in the free world at least) have an unchallengeable right to live their lives by which moral code they choose so long as it is within the law.
                                Obviously, (trite/ hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original) In other words, yes we are all aware of.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X