• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT Test Case on Bank Charges ......from House of Lords to Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TODAY at the House of Lords - OFT v Banks latest news

Originally posted by agnes View Post
    Did you see Martin Lewis on Watchdog tonight, he cleverly managed to mention the letters he had from Nick Clegg David Cameron and Gordon Brown !
    Yeh he missed a self promoting trick there:

"He could have written to Nick Griffin and jumped on the BBC Question time band wagon"

LOL

But at least he helps to keep the issue of bank charges at the front of the news which is good for all concerned, as the more who claim the more the banks will realise that they should'nt treat their customers as cash buckets to pay their ongoing bonus structures.
    The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

I agree with Budgie's honest (if somewhat depressing) appraisal of this whole debacle.
      And I'm sure that, behind the scenes, the banks are looking for all kinds of other ways to apply onerous charges should they (when they) lose. (Another trip to court, guys?)
      We have to keep fighting!
      Thanks, LBs.

cnjw
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The Supreme Court has today listed 2 judgments for next Thursday but alas not the OFT case. Though it does seem to add weight to the theory that it'll probably be a Thursday.

http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/news/judgments.html

Comment

Lets not forget that some banks have reduced their charges that are still being made against customers, this is a very positive step in the right direction in both banks showing that their charges where to high in the first place and some customers are not being charged anywhere near as much, this wouldn't have happened without the united fight agains bank charges.

Can I just ask, my claim, has not got as far as the court, it is with the bank. I haven't put it through to the court because it is over £7000 and I can't afford the court fees, have tried hardship due to missed mortgage payments, being on a DMP and being taken to court but have been told I do not fit hardship reasons, does a claim have to have been placed with the court so that if and hopefully when the ruling is in our favour and payouts are made, we get payback or will I still get my claim seen to with it just being with the bank?

Can't believe the time frame has expanded again though from 6 to 12 months since I was last on here reading updates. CRAP! x

Comment

just some interesting reading.

OFT presentation to BBA and firms today re PCA report - OFT presentation to BBA ref PCA document 23rd Oct - Legal Beagles

nice BBC article on the FOS Hardship letters - Banks rapped over hardship claims (beagles mention ) - Legal Beagles
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Nickij01 View Post
              Lets not forget that some banks have reduced their charges that are still being made against customers, this is a very positive step in the right direction in both banks showing that their charges where to high in the first place and some customers are not being charged anywhere near as much, this wouldn't have happened without the united fight agains bank charges.

Can I just ask, my claim, has not got as far as the court, it is with the bank. I haven't put it through to the court because it is over £7000 and I can't afford the court fees, have tried hardship due to missed mortgage payments, being on a DMP and being taken to court but have been told I do not fit hardship reasons, does a claim have to have been placed with the court so that if and hopefully when the ruling is in our favour and payouts are made, we get payback or will I still get my claim seen to with it just being with the bank?

Can't believe the time frame has expanded again though from 6 to 12 months since I was last on here reading updates. CRAP! x
              Speaking frankly, I feel that lodging your complaint with the bank is sufficient. I know that other websites advocate submitting a claim via the courts but there will be time to do that once the situation becomes clearer. Use the money that you would have spent out on the court fee for other things.

On the matter of banks reducing their charges, it remains to be seen whether they have actually done so, most have simply re-jigged things and have probably calculated that they will receive the same or increased revenue by doing things a different way and there is also no real regulation in place yet to prevent them from doing whatever they wish to do as far as charges are concerned in the future. That's why we need proper legal clarity from the preliminary and 2nd stage test case hearings. One only has to step back to the early days of the test case when most of the banks revamped their T's&C's to make 100% sure they could slip under the penalty clause net. Not one bank has yet categorically admitted that their previous charges were unfair. But no matter how they disguise things an unfair term is still an unfair term and will always be an unfair term in my eyes until the situation has been clarified by the courts.
              Last edited by Budgie; 23rd October 2009, 16:08:PM.

Comment

''On Tuesday the Treasury Select Committee begins hearing evidence on whether credit searches imperil customers’ creditworthiness: Eric Leenders attends for the BBA. Martin Lewis also appears, so expect some coverage.''

Should be fun
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  just some interesting reading.

OFT presentation to BBA and firms today re PCA report - OFT presentation to BBA ref PCA document 23rd Oct - Legal Beagles
                  Looks like the OFT will be making ''substantive comments'' on future charges after the Supreme Court judgment then.

Comment

The Supreme Court listings office have told me that Lord Phillips is nearing completion writing his judgment and that Thursday 19 November ''may be a suitable date'' to schedule the handing down.

Comment

Excellent We can relax for a bit then.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

That is the date I thought they might do it since I have a week off from one of my jobs so can read through it in the afternoon....I think I can give Christmas shopping a miss

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
                          ....I think I can give Christmas shopping a miss
                          No need to miss christmas shopping nattie...just do it at 4:30 pm on Xmas eve...Ill meet you for a pint once finished.

5:15 in wetherspoons?

(its the law!)
                          The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Originally posted by ROBSTER View Post
                            No need to miss christmas shopping nattie...just do it at 4:30 pm on Xmas eve...Ill meet you for a pint once finished.

5:15 in wetherspoons?

(its the law!)
                            Some of us have to worked Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

Comment

That sucks, we will have a pint for you!

Damm I havnt changed my avatar in a year and its perfect timing for this year.

Comment

Is McDonalds open on Christmas eve and Christmas day then ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X