• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

OFT Test Case on Bank Charges ......from House of Lords to Supreme Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OFT Test Case on Bank Charges update - Supreme Court Judgment coming soon !

"20 That may be a convenient moment to answer a question
    21 which I left over from yesterday from my Lord Mance as
    22 to the extent to which the OFT could pursue a fairness
    23 assessment of the relevant terms, even if this appeal
    24 succeeds and the OFT's case fails.
    25 The position that the OFT takes on that is that, in
    light of the accumulation of factors one has just been
    2 going through in paragraph 81, the OFT's position is
    3 that the assessment that the relevant charges are unfair
    4 based on the matters that presently cause it concern
    5 would not be excluded by article 4(2), even if
    6 your Lordships were to conclude that the charges are the
    7 price for services supplied in exchange within the
    8 meaning of the exemption.
    9 When considering that submission, we would suggest
    10 that it is appropriate to identify what, for present
    11 purposes, is the obligation or term that the OFT is
    12 assessing. It is easy, we would suggest, to lose sight
    13 of that, because discussion about the fairness of the
    14 charges tends to bring into view only one aspect of the
    15 payment obligation, whose fairness the OFT is reviewing,
    16 but the payment obligations in question contain two
    17 relevant elements: first, the trigger that gives rise to
    18 the obligation to pay; and, secondly, the amount of the
    19 payment.
    20 Looking at the OFT's various concerns about those
    21 terms, it is important to note that the OFT's thinking
    22 has developed. One wouldn't want your Lordships to have
    23 the view that the August 2008 letter you saw is somehow
    24 carved in stone for all time as a permanent expression
    25 and a definitive encapsulation of the OFT's concerns,
    but be that as it may, the concerns relate substantially
    2 to the interplay between the amount -- we have never
    3 shied away from that; it is central to our concerns --
    4 but, secondly, to the fact that the customer doesn't
    5 truly consent to the payment obligation for reasons we
    6 have been looking at in paragraph 81 of our case.
    7 Those two concerns, the amount and the absence of
    8 true consent, are closely interrelated and the OFT would
    9 not be concerned if the relevant charges were a penny.
    10 So amount matters, we are not shy of that.
    11 Equally, the OFT would not be concerned under the
    12 regulations about a consumer paying his bank £70 for
    13 a one penny overdraft for 10 days if he had truly
    14 consented to the charges, in the way that a consumer
    15 usually consents to a price when he buys goods, well
    16 understanding the implications of what he is doing, but
    17 that is not this case, and although I wouldn't want to
    18 stress that one is giving here an inexhaustive statement
    19 of the matters of concern and the process is not being
    20 completed, but it is the interaction between the amount
    21 of the charges and the impairment of the consumer's
    22 consent that forms the substantial foundation of the
    23 OFT's concerns, and what we mean by "the impairment of
    24 consent" is the absence of true, genuine consent in the
    25 way that I have been attempting to describe in relation
    1 to the relevant charges.
    2 That impairment arises at two stages, both when the
    3 consumer enters into the contract and also when he
    4 performs the conduct that results in the obligation
    5 being triggered, the obligation to pay the relevant
    6 charge being triggered.
    7 My Lord, the impairment arises on entering into the
    8 contract essentially for the reasons that we have been
    9 looking at in paragraph 81; the charges don't apply in
    10 the normal performance of the contract, so the
    11 consumer's attention doesn't focus on them; there is no
    12 opting out of the terms if the consumer wants the full
    13 range of current account banking services.
    14 Even if the consumer were to study the terms, he
    15 wouldn't be able to ascertain with any precision how
    16 they would be applied by the bank, for the various
    17 reasons we have been looking at.
    18 The impairment of the consumer's consent also occurs
    19 when he actually performs the conduct which incurs the
    20 charge, because the charges are triggered by what the
    21 law and the terms treat as an implied request, not by
    22 something which is in fact a true and express request.
    23 The evidence of the market study is that they are
    24 often incurred by mistake, and we have given the
    25 references to the evidence in paragraph 81(n) of our
    1 case. I haven't wearied you by going through all of
    2 those references.
    3 Quite apart from the evidence that the charges are
    4 often incurred in error, it is not difficult to infer
    5 that that must be so, because they don't represent
    6 a sensible form of borrowing, and anyone acting
    7 responsibly would want to avoid them. So the OFT is
    8 concerned that the charges unfairly capitalise on
    9 mistake.
    10 The upshot of all that is that, when he performs the
    11 conduct that results in the charge, the customer will
    12 often have conducted no assessment of whether the
    13 unauthorised overdraft represents good value for money
    14 and, therefore, whether he should make his implied
    15 request, and will not have asked himself whether he
    16 wants to pay £70 for a one penny loan.
    17 If he had foreseen the consequences, he would either
    18 not have instructed the payment or would have ensured
    19 that there were sufficient funds in the account.
    20 My Lords and my Lady, that is our analysis and
    21 summary of why we would say that the concerns that give
    22 rise to the OFT's current investigation would remain,
    23 even if this appeal succeeds, because it is not simply
    24 a concern about the sheer money/price figure; it is
    25 a concern about the method in which these terms operate
    1 and the absence of true consent. An assessment of the
    2 unfairness in those respects is not precluded, even by
    3 the application of article 4(2)."

Apologies for the long quote but it is pages 110-114 3rd day of the HOL appeal.

Comment

• Re: OFT Test Case on Bank Charges update - Supreme Court Judgment coming soon !

EXC

I'm more confused than ever now as to when the Supreme Court judgment will be handed down.

The journalist who was last week told by the Supreme Court press officer that judgment will definitely be before the court breaks up for Christmas on 17 December says that a colleague has since been told by the Supreme Court that ''it may now be in the new year''.

The Court are referring all enquiries about the judgment to the press officer but as luck would have it, she is on leave until 16 November and I'm awaiting some clarification from her stand-in.
      Last edited by enaid; 9th November 2009, 11:29:AM.

Comment

EXC

I'm more confused than ever now as to when the Supreme Court judgment will be handed down.

The journalist who was last week told by the Supreme Court press officer that judgment will definitely be before the court breaks up for Christmas on 17 December says that a colleague has since been told by the Supreme Court that ''it may now be in the new year''.

The Court are referring all enquiries about the judgment to the press officer but as luck would have it, she is on leave until 16 November and I'm awaiting some clarification from her stand-in.

Think it's about time we had a new law passed that stops people and institutions like these taking the **** out of the public.
        It is an utter disgrace IMHO.
        Enaid x

Comment

Well said Di, and by the way they are still ignoring the PIL rule too, mind you then there's a lot of people that do that imho.

Comment

According to yesterday's Sunday Mirror, the judgement is imminent !!

Dunno where they got that info from though !!

Comment

I'm normally quite defensive of the courts during the test case and think that they should be given the respect to take as much time as they feel they need in arriving at properly considered and sound judgments without having to answer to those who will be affected by them.

But I have to say that with the sheer volume of County Court cases stayed for some two and a half years and entirely dependant on this judgment, the SC could be making more of an effort to fulfil the very reason they were set up in the first place - to be more accessable and accountable to the public in what they do - and their beggining was supposed to represent a ''new era in openness'' and to redefine the concept of 'justice should be seen to be done'.

But as this piece in the Eye shows, they could be doing better.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                I'm normally quite defensive of the courts during the test case and think that they should be given the respect to take as much time as they feel they need in arriving at properly considered and sound judgments without having to answer to those who will be affected by them.

But I have to say that with the sheer volume of County Court cases stayed for some two and a half years and entirely dependant on this judgment, the SC could be making more of an effort to fulfil the very reason they were set up in the first place - to be more accessable and accountable to the public in what they do - and their beggining was supposed to represent a ''new era in openness'' and to redefine the concept of 'justice should be seen to be done'.

But as this piece in the Eye shows, they could be doing better.
                You forget that Labour had a hand in it, specifically Blair in fact.

Tell me one thing, just one, that Labour have not made a complete pig's ear of at any time during the last three governments in living memory that they have formed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post

Tell me one thing, just one, that Labour have not made a complete pig's ear of at any time during the last three governments in living memory that they have formed.
                  I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Comment

• Re: TODAY at the House of Lords - OFT v Banks latest news

There may be absolutely no benefit in lodging a claim in county court, however if as in my case, the bank charges have caused great stress, family member breakdown, financial ruin and all that goes with it, it is not just the £1500.00 worth of charges that killed me but all the peripherals.

Imagine i stole online from you, i'd either be prosecuted or sued for compensatory and or punitive damages. Why is it that th banks can effectively steal from us online, and we have no way of doing anything about it.

I am sorry, but the chain events caused by these charges on regular people like me have been devastating, and i for one am going to do everything i can to pay the banks back for what they effectively orchestrated. The test case is taking long, but in the meantime i'll be getting my case processed and stayed unitil decisions are made, but either way i want justice out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post

Shall we start a new thread on this subject it should prompt a nice discussion?

Comment

http://www.channel4.com/news/article...harges/3416007

Comment

Oh Sapphire, talking about politics, don't open a can of worms - the nice discussion could go on to Christmas 2070 - if any of us are still around then.....

Lets keep our fingers crossed and get a resolution to the bank charges issue, in our favour ofcourse, by Christmas 2009 instead.

Comment

I am getting annoyed with all the papers and silly news articles making false claims about the test case the fact of the matter is knowone knows nothing and we will all have to be patient.

Comment

Unfortunately it is being repeated on some other forums by people who should know better. I am unbelievably amused by some of the rubbish coming out at the minute(not from here, btw).

Comment

Below is the most recent correspondence with the BBC journalist who was originally told by the SC last week that judgment would be handed down pre-Christmas but it leaves us none the wiser really.

Still waiting for something more definitive from SC as to whether judgment will be made before Chistmas.

''Can you just confirm that the press officer for the Supreme Court said that judgment would be handed down before the Court breaks up for Christmas on 19 December?''

''that's what I was told last week, but a colleague says he has been told it may now be in the New Year,''

''Oh great. Was this on the record?''

''my colleague got the idea that the judgement will be next year from a chat with the Supreme Court press office, but it is not a definite decision''

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X