• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unauthorised debits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unauthorised debits?

Hello there.

Latest problem in my life...

I had £150 taken out of my bank by my mobile phone company. They only had authorisation to take £20, and acknowledge that there was a computer error. It took them about ten days to return the money.

Problem was that I am travelling and didn't have much money in my account to begin with. The debit took three days to show up online, so as far as I was concerned I had enough in my account to purchase a cheap flight to the next stop on my travels. But the booking would not go through. I had no idea why, and called my bank, was told there was no block on the card, etc.

By the time I found out what was wrong, from my online statement three days later, the flight had risen in price by £400. I told the mobile phone company this, and asked for £400 compensation ASAP as I needed to book the flight. They sent me £100 and made a £30 credit to my bill. They also asked for proof of the flight booking. They then told me I had 30 days before they were closing my account!

I told them there was no booking as yet because it was now too expensive to book. Further, I told them I needed my phone number as it was used for various things including "running my business."

I scraped together every penny I had and booked said flight, now at a cost of £650 - £460 more than it was the week previous.

Sent proof to them. Was ignored for two days, despite telling them I urgently needed the money now as I was now almost penniless and needed the money to survive.

Was ignored.

In the end I decided I needed to get the ticket refunded as I could NOT rely on this phone company to refund me. The ticket was fully refundable. Called the airline the day before, and was told I had to go to one of their sales offices as this was the only way to get my refund. The sales office near me was closed by this time.

Went there the very next morning, and was told it was too late to get the refund. Did not end up taking the flight or getting my money back.

Have now had to change my plans so I am stuck in Budapest in a dinghy hostel and the end of my travels around Europe have been ruined. The company continued to ignore me for three days - and then emailed me back to state that they would not compensate me despite my sending proof of the flight as the terms and conditions state that consequential loss is not covered, and further, on a separate note, as I was running a business via a personal phoneline, they were not liable, as the terms and conditions I had signed up to stated my line could not be used for business.

I immediately emailed back, asking why they asked for a flight booking if they were then going to say that consequential costs are not covered, in effect creating this huge mess, and explaining that I said "running my business" as in conducting my personal business, i.e. giving my phone number for flight and accommodation bookings, etc. They emailed back again saying there would be no compensation.have ignored further emails both to threaten them with legal action and to hold them responsible for this mess, and basically begging them to do something.

I am now stuck in Budapest with no cash and my money is all but gone. As of tomorrow I am going to be homeless, and I am going to have to end my European travels two weeks early to return home to the UK in three days time (first cheap flight I could find), via a ticket I have embarrassingly had to beg a parent to buy for me - who can ill afford to in the first place.

Please someone tell me this is not right? I am EXTREMELY angry.
    Tags: None

Re: Unauthorised debits?

Hi hun,

this is kinda my line of expertise, although I will admit I am stumped as to why you were asked for proof of flight.
    It is not a normal thing for a mobile company (I work in the industry) to cover costs for lost flights etc. All they have to cover is the costs incurred by the incorrect charges (i.e bank charges).

The terms and conditions you agree to in a personal contract state: you will not use the phone for business purposes. So unfortunatly they again are corrrect in saying they cannot be held responsible for loss of business.

I understand this is not the answer you are looking for, but as long as they have replaced the money in your bank, the credit to your phone account is normally all you can hope for.

Comment

I said "run my business" in the sense of running my personal business, i.e. things which hare no fun to organise but have to be done all the same, such as paying bills, etc.

Surely if their taking my money without permission, meaning I didn't have the money to purchase a flight when it was cheap, is the same as consequential costs such as bank charges? Because when they returned the money the flight was £400 more expensive?

Comment

Opinion is your not entitled to compensation,you have to try phone company again or take legal action have you read all their terms and conditions don't no but it may have a section on this.
        Als what does the Direct debit guarantee say?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
          I said "run my business" in the sense of running my personal business, i.e. things which hare no fun to organise but have to be done all the same, such as paying bills, etc.

Surely if their taking my money without permission, meaning I didn't have the money to purchase a flight when it was cheap, is the same as consequential costs such as bank charges? Because when they returned the money the flight was £400 more expensive?
          Unfortunatly, no.

If you had for example been in a position of danger and you were unable to use the service they provide due to this (ie they had barred your account) then you would be in a position to say Ok compensate me.
          The normal timescale for a refund is 14 days, so for you to get it back in 10 is fast, so that line of complaint is not really valid either.
          They cannot be held responsible for an offer changing prices when they have done everything they have promised, and any compensatioin is normally line rental credits, which you have had.

if the bank charged you for attempting to buy the tickets, up to a "reasonable" about (normally £35) the company can refund them on proof of charge, the actual tickets.. sorry hun.

Comment

I don't understand.

They were authorised to take £15 out of my account. They took £150.

I did not have enough money to buy a £200 flight.

By the time the money was returned, the flight cost increased to £600.

I asked for compensation to book this flight, they told me that they needed me to book it before looking into this. I went ahead and booked it.

How is this not their responsibility from start to finish?

Comment

"they told me that they needed me to book it before looking into this."
              Did they look into this and then say no words like that do not say to me They will pay?
              As puff says you wont get anu more from them,you can of course scall them again?

Comment

Was it a debit or a direct debit?

Comment

and it wasn't a direct debit - I made one payment of £15 for a PAYG service online and they took £150 instead.

Comment

Thanks Walesman and Puffrose!

Comment

I don't understand.

They were authorised to take £15 out of my account. They took £150.
                      which they have refunded in less time than they have to

I did not have enough money to buy a £200 flight
                      Which has not caused a loss of service, personal danger or fault in the equiptment they provide

By the time the money was returned, the flight cost increased to £600
                      which they cannot be held responsible for, they have returned you the overpayment.

I asked for compensation to book this flight, they told me that they needed me to book it before looking into this. I went ahead and booked it.
                      This was your perogative, at no time were you gaurenteed the money compensation, if they said book it and we WILL pay you, there is a case. To book it on "we will consider it" is not a promise of compensation. If you booked it on these terms, they cannot be held responsible.

How is this not their responsibility from start to finish?
                      Their responsibility ended when they have refunded you and given you credit to your phone. They cannot be held responsible if they have at no time used the words We will DEFINATELY pay for this.
                      Sorry but, at the end of the day, you have no promise of payment, and no gaurenteed refund of the flights.

Comment

and it wasn't a direct debit - I made one payment of £15 for a PAYG service online and they took £150 instead.
                        you paid this online?

How did you make the payment?

Comment

Bank card. I authorised one £15 payment from my bank card.

Comment

did you give the number or enter it yourself?

Comment

I have an online account linked to my phone. I tried to make a payment for a top-up of £15, and was told every time that ti didn't go through and to try again.

They ended up taking all ten payments I attempted of the £15 payment. My bank told me they were at fault and the mobile company have said "yes, we were at fault...system problems..."

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X