• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unauthorised debits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unauthorised debits?

I was sent one confirmation for the £15 payment, not ten.

Comment

was the £100 on top of the amount you paid?

Comment

The £100 refund? Yes!

Comment

They sent £100 compensation and stated that before considering any more they needed proof of my booking.

Comment

i think they made the £100 top-up so they could say "well he had the refund plus £100 so that was enough for the £200 ticket," but by that point the tickets were £600.

Comment

im being totally honest here..

im amazed they gave you £100.

Comment

I'm amazed there is not a law or something here that applies...they can't take money out of my account unauthorised. And if they do the consequences are on them! How can they not be?

Comment

because they have compensated you.

legally they cannot be held responsible for you booking a ticket on something that they "might" do.

you have accepted £100, they clearly said they would not CONSIDER anymore until you had proof of purchase, but they never said they would definately compensate you for that amount.

If the T&Cs you agreed to state they will not cover consequential loss... they need do no more.

Also, if the tickets had not been cancelled when you went for a refund, there was nothing stopping you travelling on them.

Comment

So..to sum up :-
                    YOU made 10 x £15 top ups = £150
                    You got £100 refund + £100 compensation + £30 credit =£230

It's a win/win for you then...you're £80.00 better off.
                    You can't really expect anything more from the phone company,,they have more than compensated you.

Comment

K...some confusion...

"legally they cannot be held responsible for you booking a ticket on something that they "might" do."

I didn't book the ticket based on thinking they would compensate me. I always intended to book the ticket as part of my planned route around Europe, and I had enough money in my bank when I went to book it. But because of the unauthorised taking of this money, I could not do so. I contacted them, told them that the price had now increased by £400, they sent £100 and asked for the proof of purchase before any more could be sent - so I scraped together all the money I had to book the flight based on this. THEN they stated they would not be held responsible for consequential loss. Surely they should have not paid anything and said this instead of calling what they assumedly thought was a bluff by me?

"you have accepted £100, they clearly said they would not CONSIDER anymore until you had proof of purchase, but they never said they would definately compensate you for that amount. "

I did not accept the money. They refused to call me and ignored emails, and then paid the money straight into my account without asking if I accepted it.

"If the T&Cs you agreed to state they will not cover consequential loss... they need do no more."

Consequential loss when we enter into a contract, surely? They cannot just take my money without permission?!?!? How is that legal and how can they do so and then possibly claim that the unauthorised debits are something they can not take responsibility for as per "consequential loss?"

"Also, if the tickets had not been cancelled when you went for a refund, there was nothing stopping you travelling on them."

The fact they did not send me any money meant that I could not go travelling to well expensive Norway for three days. I had no money for accommodation, and I needed the ticket refunded.

Thanks for indulging me here Puff...

Comment

exactly Inca.

I know it doesnt seem to it to the OP, but the company (and please note I do not know which company the OP is referring to) have refunded the amount faster than a refund in to a bank account normally happens (and I do them on a day to day basis) plus given compensation for the loss of funds (i.e food buying NOT tickets).

The choice to purchase the tickets was the OPs, and they never promised to compensate.. sorry but you have had all they will give you.

Just so the OP knows, I am an advisor in a major mobile phone company's customer services department, and I am not trying to be awkward, just giving you the facts hun.

I dont mean to be the Big Bad Wolf, I would give you the same info if you were with Orange or Del Trotters Mobiles..

Comment

Inca...I am NOT £80 better off...I am £650 out of pocket for an unused and un-refundable flight!

I am taking these guys to Court, one way or the other.

Comment

Thanks Puff. I am going to take this through the Small Claims, no doubt about that. There is no way in hell I will allow this company to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
                              K...some confusion...

"legally they cannot be held responsible for you booking a ticket on something that they "might" do."

I didn't book the ticket based on thinking they would compensate me. I always intended to book the ticket as part of my planned route around Europe, and I had enough money in my bank when I went to book it. But because of the unauthorised taking of this money, I could not do so. I contacted them, told them that the price had now increased by £400, they sent £100 and asked for the proof of purchase before any more could be sent - so I scraped together all the money I had to book the flight based on this. THEN they stated they would not be held responsible for consequential loss. Surely they should have not paid anything and said this instead of calling what they assumedly thought was a bluff by me?

"you have accepted £100, they clearly said they would not CONSIDER anymore until you had proof of purchase, but they never said they would definately compensate you for that amount. "

I did not accept the money. They refused to call me and ignored emails, and then paid the money straight into my account without asking if I accepted it.

"If the T&Cs you agreed to state they will not cover consequential loss... they need do no more."

Consequential loss when we enter into a contract, surely? They cannot just take my money without permission?!?!? How is that legal and how can they do so and then possibly claim that the unauthorised debits are something they can not take responsibility for as per "consequential loss?"
                              which has been refunded. The only reason they MAY compensate you (and it is rare) is if the equiptment they provided had failed leaving you in danger or unable to use their services. At no time did this happen.

"Also, if the tickets had not been cancelled when you went for a refund, there was nothing stopping you travelling on them."

The fact they did not send me any money meant that I could not go travelling to well expensive Norway for three days. I had no money for accommodation, and I needed the ticket refunded
                              from the companys point of veiw, you had £100 put in on top of the top up. they cannot be held responsible for you not travelling if you could not get a refund.
                              Thanks for indulging me here Puff...
                              again I dont mean to be the big bad wolf, but legally they have not breached contract, they had an issue that they have resolved by refunding you, you did not lose the service you agreed to use, they have compensated you both in line rental and in to your bank, and technically by saying you used it for business, you have breached the T&Cs by using it for this purpose. I know you say you meant every day life, but if you told them business they can say you are misusing your agreement.

I know (business mobiles is my bread and butter) that the business side of things do not compensate for consequential losses apart from in line rental.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
                                Thanks Puff. I am going to take this through the Small Claims, no doubt about that. There is no way in hell I will allow this company to do this.
                                this is entirely your choice hun, but just personal opinion, I feel if you take it to court you will end up out of pocket.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X