• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Today I received the following Press Article about Coventry City Council:

COVENTRY....BAILIFF GUIDELINES

NEW guidelines protecting vulnerable people from bailiff malpractice have been issued by Coventry City Council.Coventry has agreed guidelines for the bailiff firms it uses to collect council tax.

The new guidelines follow talks with Coventry Citizens’ Advice Bureau (CAB). CAB’s Sophie Parkes told CCR-PS:

Many vulnerable people in Coventry were experiencing difficulties from unreasonable bailiff behaviour, but the new local guidelines should see a stop to this"

“The council has also become the UK’s first to sign up to a national good practice protocol in council tax collection.”

The guidelines encourage early identification of vulnerable clients, and state their cases should be referred back to the council or bailiff ‘vulnerability teams’ for sensitive handling.

Councillor Damian Gannon, cabinet member for Strategic Finance and Resources, said:

At a time when families and working people are struggling with the rising cost of living, it is important the council works with Advice Services Coventry and agencies like the CAB so problems with council tax collection can be avoided.”

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
      Many vulnerable people in Coventry were experiencing difficulties from unreasonable bailiff behaviour, but the new local guidelines should see a stop to this"
      But won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post

“The council has also become the UK’s first to sign up to a national good practice protocol in council tax collection.”

This might be enough to save their neck sadly, as I don't believe councils have been asked to sign up to the new guidelines, I think they're expected to follow them.

Putting a headline that you're the first to 'sign up' to the guidelines is very good (and clever) press when you have been threatening BK for just £42.50. Their press officer has played a clever card there, as most people will not realise the truth of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          Putting a headline that you're the first to 'sign up' to the guidelines is very good (and clever) press when you have been threatening BK for just £42.50. Their press officer has played a clever card there, as most people will not realise the truth of the situation.
          Press officer: (n) An otherwise honest man, paid to tell lies on behalf of his employer.

Comment

Aye, covering their backs and making out they are shiny clean and somehow making amends for things that are yet to happen. We all know different, to be honest I expected nothing less from the likes of CCC, they think they are untouchable, always have done. But I think I am going to push this as far as possible.

It about time the public knew just how far CCC & Newlyns will stoop, to collect CT.

I hope others in similar curcumstances will come forward and make official complaints. I can't be the only one this has happened to, I am not that special to be singled out for treatment like this

Comment

Bit of interesting reading about Newlyn plc:

http://www.landofthefree.co.uk/site/...ose-court-case

Comment

Still no sign of this appology, totally disgusted by their inability to do anything they say, even after 100's of people have had this farse brought to their attention. I just cannot find words to describe CCC pesistant lies, well none you could print on here.
                I am hoping to move out of the area shortly, so CCC you will never ever get another penny out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                  Still no sign of this apology
                  They may have been wrongly advised that, if they were to apologise, they would "become" liable for the antics of the bunch of bailiffs they saw fit to appoint.

They already were and remain vicariously liable!

Hence, their refusal to apologise may subsequently be remembered in compensation or damages.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                    Still no sign of this appology, totally disgusted by their inability to do anything they say, even after 100's of people have had this farse brought to their attention. I just cannot find words to describe CCC pesistant lies, well none you could print on here.
                    I am hoping to move out of the area shortly, so CCC you will never ever get another penny out of me.

Has anything happened re the newspaper contact etc....? This really should be published as wide as possible before too much more time passes.

Comment

I would suggest if the site is not going to take the opportunity to publicise this, the OP takes matters into his own hands and contacts his local press immediately, pointing them to this thread. I would also contact a national such as The Sun which may well run with this type of story.

Comment

As well as Private Eye, for their Rotten Boroughs section in the colour pages.

Private Eye
                        6 Carlisle Street, London, W1D 3BN, UK
                        Tel: 020 7437 4017
                        Fax: 020 7437 0705
                        Email: strobes@private-eye.co.uk

Comment

Excellent suggestion CC! I forgot about dear Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                            Excellent suggestion CC! I forgot about dear Ian.
                            Forgotten dear Ian?

If that's justice, I'm a banana!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...e-2276884.html

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Well the appologies have arrived for what they are worth.
                              these have just been sent to assist their defence should the matter go further.
                              They have been seen to address the situation.
                              They are still laying the blame with each other.
                              Attached Files

Comment

May have missed this previously so apologies if it is a repeat. What have your local Councillor(s) said about this debacle? Also have you involved the Leader of the Council?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X