• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coventry Council Apologises for Threatening Bankruptcy for £42.50!!

Coventry - I think we should stop speakin to 'em

Comment

May I be permitted to make a few observations.

First well done to those who assisted and yes anybody who threatens bankruptcy even for £750 must be either out of their minds or just bullying, which is something Newlyn is well versed in. The fees to bankrupt someone are more than twice the minumum limit of £750.

Nor was it Coventry City Council chasing £42.50, it was Newlyn - for their fees. The first requirement on the road to applying for a bankruptcy order is to have a court order for payment in your own name. Newlyn do not have one.

Thirdly the threat of imprisonment once again came from the less than intelligent bullies at Newlyn. Given all the reasons why this would not happen, it is also boogar all to do with Newlyn who have no powers to make such an application for any debt. Only the Council could do that in extreme circumstances - and it was owed nothing

Those who pointed out that it was the council's lax attitude to what their bailiffs use as tactics were quite right. This was the source of the problem, but if anybody thinks that either Coventry City Council or Newlyn have learned anything form this - please do not trouble yourselves to hold your breath

It will happen again and again

Comment

So true Fair Parking. I was quite struck by the cocky demeanor of Newlyn when confronted. Still, having worked for Brighton Council for 5 years, I did know to go straight to the Communications Team rather than the complacent Director of Finance & Revenues for whom the responsibility of 'managing' fell.
        Reputation and media profile are very important to them, so that is where they are vulnerable.
        Only this week we've learned that debt now affects over 50% of the population, up from 35% in 2006.
        Suicides and depression have risen proportionally so these evil threats MUST be stopped.
        I can see lots of work ahead on this topic
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

On a positive note however, I do love the power of Twitter! This thread has had hundreds of views and I plan to keep retweeting it.
          I've also got in touch with the Coventry Telegraph.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
            On a positive note however, I do love the power of Twitter! This thread has had hundreds of views and I plan to keep retweeting it.
            I've also got in touch with the Coventry Telegraph.

Careful,,they might ask you to do a 'Lady Godiva'

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post

Careful,,they might ask you to do a 'Lady Godiva'
              I'll do it

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...CT_arrears.pdf

Page 7 s.3.5 and page 8 in full; parts of page 10.

Comment

LGO look into this? They are already not best pleased with Council enforcement measures?

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...CT_arrears.pdf

Page 7 s.3.5 and page 8 in full; parts of page 10.
                    Well they obviously didn't read THAT in Coventry CC

Comment

I am glad to see this thread is staying active, especially now its been tweeted.
                      The more people who read it the more people may come forward with similar experiences at the hands of Newlyn plc.

I am so pleased to have, with this sites help, brought these blighters to the attention of the masses

Comment

:tinysmile_grin_t:

I would just like to congratulate everyone who has been involved in this case and for all the advice and support you provide.

Keep up the good work and a note to CC , carry on making me laugh, please!
                        Last edited by ruthie59; 3rd August 2013, 12:36:PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                          LGO look into this? They are already not best pleased with Council enforcement measures?
                          I think you'll find they've already looked at Coventry Council from the stuff I've read.

Comment

From some research I have done today, it appears they have been using these collection techniques since 2011, whilst being supported by Coventry Council.

The matter was even raised in Parliment, but little seens to have changed.
                            Coventry Telegraph has highlighted many caseover the years involving both Newlyn's and Equita bullying and threats, which working on behalf of CCC, but still nothing has improved.

I think the councils see bailiffs as a free collection service, so just allow them to do what they like when they like if it brings in revenue. It is only when they are chalenged and found to be in the wrong, they make a lame appology. An appology is something I suppose but does little to make up for the months of stress and harrasment.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish pasty View Post
                              From some research I have done today, it appears they have been using these collection techniques since 2011, whilst being supported by Coventry Council.

The matter was even raised in Parliment, but little seens to have changed.
                              Coventry Telegraph has highlighted many caseover the years involving both Newlyn's and Equita bullying and threats, which working on behalf of CCC, but still nothing has improved.

I think the councils see bailiffs as a free collection service, so just allow them to do what they like when they like if it brings in revenue. It is only when they are chalenged and found to be in the wrong, they make a lame appology. An appology is something I suppose but does little to make up for the months of stress and harrasment.
                              Are those all cases where they've threatened BK under the £750 threshold, or just done it 'cos they can? If they were unlawful threats, could you post up the links please - I found a few things relevant to this which I pm'd to Celestine last night; however, I didn't find any other cases directly like yours, so any links would be good to read.

Thanks. :beagle:

Comment

Are CCC in some sort of "profit sharing" arrangement with Newlyns?

Please see the attachment.
                                Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X