• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

​my thanks button has gone awol again,,but thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Salmon Man View Post
      Too late now though. The majority of the country successively voted for what we have now.

And I agree, we should live in a society where we look after each other, so for goodness sakes move the old couple out their (too big for their requirements) three bedroom house and let a couple with young kids, who are forced to share at same sex until a certain age, a decent home. Look after those who actually NEED the three bedroom homes.
      Well, Salmon Man, you are coming dangerously close to that person who recently suggested putting disabled children down because they are too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
        We have a coalition government rather than a majority government or a political group with the majority of votes. Unfortunately, we have a poor opposition and hardly any alternative as Eastleigh nearly proved with UKIP in second place(perhaps they are the new party of protest votes as LibDem's are effectively the other part of the coalition and Labour are not particularly suggesting alternatives.

Please define "OLD COUPLE": I keep repeating to you that they are exempt from the bedroom tax and unaffected so please define OLD?

OFF TOPIC: a recent survey suggested that people did not regard themselves as old until they reached the age of 70 years....(Useless information now dispatched from head ).
        Euphemisms don't work on legal fora, eh?

They look old, they look decrepit, and they certainly do not resemble being either young or middle aged.

See, it was kinder with "old couple". LOL

Comment

Why should they? Why shouldn't they, why should people just expect a home and lifestyle for doing nothing, while others work damn hard to survive, pay taxes and fund their lifestyles ?

Why should they make difficult decisions like so, and work long and hard before starting a family, when the government make it easier for girl's just to get pregnant? The sooner the govt stops that the better, the Americans have stopped all future benefits so it will filter out eventually.

Change the system, and people will change. It doesn't work the other way around.

But no way should an older person have to move from their home, they will be out of there soon enough the natural way.

Comment

My thanks button gone on this thread too - but not likely to be overworked however polite I am

Comment

God! didn't actually mean you Sapphy!

Comment

I'm 50,,and I'm blessed to have a wonderful family surrounding me.
                God forbid that i was an older widow,in the home I shared with my family for 50 years,,being told I was being forced out of the only home I know,,away from neighbours I've known since God was a boy,,dumped into a one bed chalet....miles from anyone/anywhere known to me.
                I'd rather die (altho,,that would suit some people and solve the problem)

Comment

Euphemisms don't work on legal fora, eh?

They look old, they look decrepit, and they certainly do not resemble being either young or middle aged.

See, it was kinder with "old couple". LOL
                  Define old couple? If you are 20 then old could be 40, if you are 40 then old could be 70.

The definition of old people in the bedroom tax legislation is 61 years and 5 months and they are exempt so can we move away from this clearly failed old people argument and onto the people who ARE affected, ie those on benefits, those who are disabled and others(I will define this as divorced dads who have their child at weekends for what is called contact, grieving families).

To be absolutely crude, if your child is killed tonight and you are on housing benefit(that could also be the low paid as well), then effectively, while you are grieving, the council will effectively take out 14% of your HB due to having a spare bedroom. Let me be honest, put yourself in the shoes of a grieving parent. Surely there should have been some discretion to at least delay this deduction for a period of time say 12 months? However, it's not built into the legislation. I accept the fact that the government have to save money on the welfare budget but surely they have to build into it the issue of fairness.
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Please define "OLD COUPLE": I keep repeating to you that they are exempt from the bedroom tax and unaffected so please define OLD?

OFF TOPIC: a recent survey suggested that people did not regard themselves as old until they reached the age of 70 years....(Useless information now dispatched from head ).
                    Well, a young puppy like you wouldn't understand Leclerc

Comment

Define old couple? If you are 20 then old could be 40, if you are 40 then old could be 70.

The definition of old people in the bedroom tax legislation is 61 years and 5 months and they are exempt so can we move away from this clearly failed old people argument and onto the people who ARE affected, ie those on benefits, those who are disabled and others(I will define this as divorced dads who have their child at weekends for what is called contact, grieving families).

To be absolutely crude, if your child is killed tonight and you are on housing benefit(that could also be the low paid as well), then effectively, while you are grieving, the council will effectively take out 14% of your HB due to having a spare bedroom. Let me be honest, put yourself in the shoes of a grieving parent. Surely there should have been some discretion to at least delay this deduction for a period of time say 12 months? However, it's not built into the legislation. I accept the fact that the government have to save money on the welfare budget but surely they have to build into it the issue of fairness.
                      Thank you Leclerc - that sums it up (no button) but a perfect assessment and more

Comment

My FIL (bless his soul),,passed away at 74 years of age,,I won't say '74 years old' cos he wasn't. he was a sprightly old goose,,running a radio show,doing outside broadcasts,,spending copious amounts of money (and collecting 45 kilos of sugar)lol......cancer got him quick and painless but Hell would have frozen over before the council would have got him out of his house(3 beds),,he'd lived there 50 years,,born and bred 2 sons there,paid his dues and noone,,not even King Kong would have moved him.

Comment

I'm not pushing the 'bedroom tax' leclerc, I'm pushing for everyone to get involved where they can.

A disabled couple in a three bedroom house being paid for by those in need of a spare bedroom is absurd.

Assuming this couple retired from work early (not a stretch on the imagination by any means) then they have no doubt surpassed in handouts what they contributed when they were working. I know it sounds harsh but they have NOT contributed enough to sustain them in their large house forever more.

Comment

If they did retire early then I am sure that they could take out some of that pension if it was a private pension prior to actually receiving one. In the example given, that couple can apply for the "Discretionary Housing Payment" and their case would be considered based on the merits of their case.
                            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

God Almighty,,I hope you have saved enough to see you through your dotage SalmonMan,,so you don't have to receive any 'handouts'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                                Here's a radical thought, how about the young think twice about having kids unless they can a) afford them and b) have somewhere to live big enough, or would that just be too hard a task ?
                                Steady now Sapphy, you'll be suggesting we don't buy things on credit soon, and actually save up until we can afford them. :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X