• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

Although published by Swindon Council, it applies equally to all councils and there is a link at the bottom to the actual draft document.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it is not something the government or councils have given much publicity to:

http://keepourcouncilhomes.wordpress...sing-payments/
    Tags: None

Re: Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

do we get a rebate if we need MORE rooms?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
      do we get a rebate if we need MORE rooms?!?
      LOL - Nope, you need to get an exchange for a bigger house! Alternatively find someone on here who is subject to the bedroom tax and give them one of your children! msl:msl:msl:msl:msl:

Comment

Now thats an idea!!!!

or maybe me husband msl:

Comment

I read after protests from disability groups the DWP are looking into a change of the rules for disabled people where the registered carer is the spouse or legal partner and for reasons cannot share a bed so needing a second bedroom ?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            I read after protests from disability groups the DWP are looking into a change of the rules for disabled people where the registered carer is the spouse or legal partner and for reasons cannot share a bed so needing a second bedroom ?
            Whilst I heard on the wireless that the coprocephalic (and Tory) snollygoster in charge of the DWP, Iain Duncan Smith, had decided against a change of the rules as that would have been too sensible.

Comment

I would think that there may be a challenge to the rules we will have to wait and see

Comment

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-every-1740249 Just got this emailed by disabled pensioner friend

Comment

I struggle to sympathise with people, disabled or not, who are complaining (like the couple on MissFM's link) that they have to fork out more for having a three bedroom council house.

It is high time that every 5 or 10 years, council tenants are re-assessed on the suitability of the house they are in. There are very little new council homes being built and young couples face having to raise between £10k - £20k deposit to get on the housing ladder which is nigh on impossible for most in the current climate.

The line "there is nowhere to go" doesn't wash with me as there are tens of thousands of young families in overcrowded accommodation who would gladly swap into a bigger home. The trouble is that this couple, and everyone else on benefits, don't want to move, and never stop to consider those who are funding their benefits.

Comment

:hand:Whoah Salmon Man! If I understood rightly the main thrust of that link was that the people can't be re-housed in smaller accomodation because such doesn't exist - yet they are going to have to pay more than they can afford with this new tax.

Comment

Excuse me Salmon Man............''everyone else on benefits??'' Not only is that statement totally bloody offensive,,it's also bloody untrue!!!........What the hell did anyone with a disablity that they fight with every day ever do to be lumped in with lazy bloody arses who can;t be bothered to work!! Make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you make biased generalised assumptions and statements !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                        Excuse me Salmon Man............''everyone else on benefits??'' Not only is that statement totally bloody offensive,,it's also bloody untrue!!!........What the hell did anyone with a disablity that they fight with every day ever do to be lumped in with lazy bloody arses who can;t be bothered to work!! Make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you make biased generalised assumptions and statements !!!
                        Unfortunately you have misinterpreted my post as being a personal attack on particular groups of people, which it was not intended to be.

Here's another perspective....(probably is getting personal now though)

How's about that couple who stand to lose £20 a week from their budget take just one moment to ponder on the reality for the rest of us out there, for although it is not their fault they are getting on in age and have disabilities, it's the people coming behind them who are funding the roof over their heads. Some of these people work hard for below average salaries and simply cannot afford to save the deposit for a home of their own. Young couples are living together in a parental home, cooped up over crowded. They get up each morning and go out to work and get taxed, some of which goes to pay that old couple's disability benefits, care allowances, housing benefit, council tax rebate and increasing medical bills (assuming both are never going to recover), and they're living with two spare rooms.

The 'bedroom tax' is as personally monstrous to many as was the Community Charge, but what it does highlight is that things are at breaking point, and change is needed.

The general reaction and public outrage towards this new benefit levy may rightly be cranking up to fever pitch, but in all the hysterics the bigger picture is lost, yet again.

Comment

You forget that the "old couple" have probably paid tax and NI all their working lives

Comment

And.....

Whilst our Secret Service fund covert missions sending our elite special forces (illegally) into other countries to train up rebels to overthrow governments, and whilst the guy you know serving in Afghanistan runs the risk of having his body ripped to pieces by IEDs, and whilst bunker busting bombs costing upwards of £250,000 a whip are indiscriminately dropped on targets in urban areas from Drones.....

We still have to address the $h!t at home.

Comment

Salmon man, Shelter Scotland have actually said that in their country the bedroom tax could cost the government even more money because downsizing could lead to people going into the private sector where rental income is higher.
                              http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/news/...l_cost_us_more

Can I just add that "Old age couples" ie those born before 1951 are exempt from the bedroom tax so I think in your example you might have to change that example.

We need to stick to people on benefits of working age at the point the bedroom tax comes in. Your example is not in line with the legislation.
                              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X