• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are you affected by the 'Bedroom Tax?' If so, read this!

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
    You forget that the "old couple" have probably paid tax and NI all their working lives
    They'll be lucky enough to be enjoying a company retirement pension then, eh?

Do you really think that those out working right now will 'enjoy' the same benefits if and when required when they're that old couple's age?

Ain't going to happen. The ball is burst.

Comment

I would add, Salmon Man, that we live in a society where we look after each other (or should) - there is plenty to go round but it doesn't. As things stand it just goes to the greedy rather than the needy.

Comment

lotta crossed posts there...

Comment

Originally posted by Salmon Man View Post
          They'll be lucky enough to be enjoying a company retirement pension then, eh?

Do you really think that those out working right now will 'enjoy' the same benefits if and when required when they're that old couple's age?

Ain't going to happen. The ball is burst.

This is for BOTH you and MissFM.. OLD AGE PENSIONSERS ARE EXEMPT FROM THE BEDROOM TAX. Those aged 61 years and 5 months at April 2013 are unaffected by the bedroom tax.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
            Salmon man, Shelter Scotland have actually said that in their country the bedroom tax could cost the government even more money because downsizing could lead to people going into the private sector where rental income is higher.
            http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/news/...l_cost_us_more

Can I just add that "Old age couples" ie those born before 1951 are exempt from the bedroom tax so I think in your example you might have to change that example.

We need to stick to people on benefits of working age at the point the bedroom tax comes in. Your example is not in line with the legislation.
            Well the "old couple" in the link are clearly not exempt. I'm forgetting it's Legal Beagles and the subsequent requirement to have everything detailed to the letter so look forward to learning which particular date in someone'e life when they become "old aged". LOL

On the point of downsizing costing more I feel it's a moot point as this is an exercise in saving money, and a cap on HB nips that old chestnut in the bud.

And... turkeys don't vote for Christmas so Shelter Scotland are unlikely to say anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              This is for BOTH you and MissFM.. OLD AGE PENSIONSERS ARE EXEMPT FROM THE BEDROOM TAX. Those aged 61 years and 5 months at April 2013 are unaffected by the bedroom tax.
              There's really no need to shout. LOL

At no point have I mentioned the term "OLD AGE PENSIONERS".

All I said was that the couple in the pic were an "old couple".

Comment

​My God,Salmon,,I'm just the stereotypical person you seem to be labelling everyone....I live in a 2 bed council house,,my son and his g/f live here (24 yrs old),,I am registered disabled,,my partner is my full time carer..and although I don't need them now,,I used to be on means tested benefits.........so,,what do you suggest I forfeit????

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  I would add, Salmon Man, that we live in a society where we look after each other (or should) - there is plenty to go round but it doesn't. As things stand it just goes to the greedy rather than the needy.
                  Too late now though. The majority of the country successively voted for what we have now.

And I agree, we should live in a society where we look after each other, so for goodness sakes move the old couple out their (too big for their requirements) three bedroom house and let a couple with young kids, who are forced to share at same sex until a certain age, a decent home. Look after those who actually NEED the three bedroom homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                    ​My God,Salmon,,I'm just the stereotypical person you seem to be labelling everyone....I live in a 2 bed council house,,my son and his g/f live here (24 yrs old),,I am registered disabled,,my partner is my full time carer..and although I don't need them now,,I used to be on means tested benefits.........so,,what do you suggest I forfeit????
                    Your son and his girlfriend should be paying their way. Can't then see how the 'bedroom tax' then affects you?

Comment

Here's a radical thought, how about the young think twice about having kids unless they can a) afford them and b) have somewhere to live big enough, or would that just be too hard a task ?

Comment

Well the "old couple" in the link are clearly not exempt. I'm forgetting it's Legal Beagles and the subsequent requirement to have everything detailed to the letter so look forward to learning which particular date in someone'e life when they become "old aged". LOL

On the point of downsizing costing more I feel it's a moot point as this is an exercise in saving money, and a cap on HB nips that old chestnut in the bud.

And... turkeys don't vote for Christmas so Shelter Scotland are unlikely to say anything else.
                        They're not exempt but they may have to apply for something called discretionary housing payments which as the first word describes is discretionary. The government are looking to save £490 million pounds yet have already added an additional £30 million to the DHP. There are real examples in which the bedroom tax does not make sense and that is with some of the most vulnerable in society. Here's one example: http://www.itv.com/news/2013-02-08/d...s-bedroom-tax/

The rules around the bedroom tax do not have any discretion for the disabled. In the example above, the parents are the full time carer's of their 15 year old disabled daughter. There is no discretion in the cutting of their housing benefit. According to the rules, two girls can share a bedroom as they are the same gender and are under 16 years old.

The question will be when people get evicted because of the tax and how many of them since they would not be eligible for council housing IF they are evicted from council housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
                          Here's a radical thought, how about the young think twice about having kids unless they can a) afford them and b) have somewhere to live big enough, or would that just be too hard a task ?
                          Why should they?

Why should they make difficult decisions like so, and work long and hard before starting a family, when the government make it easier for girl's just to get pregnant?

Change the system, and people will change. It doesn't work the other way around.

Comment

Inca - I would say you DEFINITELY don't have to worry about this FWIW:_tighthug__by_darkm xx

Comment

[QUOTE=Salmon Man;322561]Your son and his girlfriend should be paying their way. Can't then see how the 'bedroom tax' then affects you?[/QUOTE
                              I deliberately didn't mention that they both have full time jobs......and are living at home to save for their own place (even though they needn't really bother,,after all,,I could let him sit back and wait for the tenancy succession)........and,,(oh you are going to LOVE this one).......I'm being transferred to a brand spanking new 3 bedroom bungalow,,yes 3!!! cos my needs mean I can have 3. ( i can hear the apoplexy from here)
                              And yes Sapphire,,I totally agree with you.......kids having kids cos they can and get away with it.

Comment

Too late now though. The majority of the country successively voted for what we have now.

And I agree, we should live in a society where we look after each other, so for goodness sakes move the old couple out their (too big for their requirements) three bedroom house and let a couple with young kids, who are forced to share at same sex until a certain age, a decent home. Look after those who actually NEED the three bedroom homes.
                                We have a coalition government rather than a majority government or a political group with the majority of votes. Unfortunately, we have a poor opposition and hardly any alternative as Eastleigh nearly proved with UKIP in second place(perhaps they are the new party of protest votes as LibDem's are effectively the other part of the coalition and Labour are not particularly suggesting alternatives.

Please define "OLD COUPLE": I keep repeating to you that they are exempt from the bedroom tax and unaffected so please define OLD?

OFF TOPIC: a recent survey suggested that people did not regard themselves as old until they reached the age of 70 years....(Useless information now dispatched from head ).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X