• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help with harassment claim & potential appeal against civil proceedings

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pt2537
    Thank you, but what if the Defendant has failed to comply at any stage? Surely allowance after allowance shouldn't be made??

The defence and WS were not only non compliant, but inconsistent throughout. They contained some outrageous, outlandish comments which were offensive and false.

The Defendant claimed that I owed him 3 seperate amounts of rent - ranging from £81 to £750!!!!
    So to counteract that I provided bank statements showing rent paid thereby proving he couldn't get his facts straight.

One of the statements he made in relation to his threat to sexually assault me was that it was "banter"......
    Then he went onto state that I discussed sexual preferences and fantasies with him.

I am sickened and disgusted by that comment alone and even more disgusted and frustrated that any decent Judge or indeed anyone wouldn't read that and be sickened by it?

please don't think that I am trying to get at the Huge. I am not but i am angry at the judgement and in the circumstances I think that I am justified.
    I am merely trying to turn the anger into something more constructive and get the justice that is needed and to show the Defendant his behaviour is not acceptable

Comment

That should be JUDGE * (not Huge!!!)

Comment

The exact words (verbatim) that the Defendant wrote in his WS are as follows;
        "The fact that xxxxx is playing on the rape banter is absurd. She regularly discussed what she liked sexually and came home after a sexual encounter saying that they pretended she was being rapped" - complete with spelling errors.

I'll have to choose my words carefully here as it is a public forum........ But WTF????
        HOW the hell was THAT load of crap allowed????
        It is FALSE and downright disrespectful.

Comment

Ohhhh and he ends that delightful sentence with "she had no issues then"..... ..it's like he is trying to justify his actions and downplay the henious crime of rape....and it was ALLOWED??

Comment

The Defendant is extremely fortunate that I haven't got the money nor the emotional resilience or ability to pursue a claim for defamation, libel and perjury/contempt because if I could I would break him with everything I had!!!!

Comment

I have had a little bit of a 'brainwave' - it doesn't happen often so it's probably only temporary!!
              I am running on limited time to decide if I am going to pursue an appeal without a solicitor.
              I know that I have to get a transcript which could take at least a few days...... So I was thinking, all the information that I have read states that I would have to obtain permission of the court before making an appeal so would it 'buy' me some time and stop the clock so to speak if I notified the court of my intentions (via email) and ask for permission to appeal at the same time as I make the application for the transcript....
              Can it be done this way ?? I have read that the court of appeal rules are very strict and that's worrying me as a litigant in person I am not going to get everything spot on all the time.

Comment

Ref point 3) if Harassment wasn't claimed for on the claim form it would not be included just because you mentioned it in the witness statement.
                You needed tosubmit a n application to amend the claim. This is at least to give the defendant a chance to dispute the claim.

Whilst the judge was it seems extremely unsympathetic i doubt that the cost and stress (and risk of failure) of an appeal is worthwhile, even if leave to appeal is granted

Comment

Peace I wish you all the very best, but I shall not be commenting further. I repeat that I think you should not attempt any further legal action in this matter without a solicitor. Please please please don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Peace1 View Post
                    I have read that the court of appeal rules are very strict and that's worrying me as a litigant in person I am not going to get everything spot on all the time.

In that case do not attempt an appeal.
                    Just because you will be a Litigant in Person will not absolve you from being "spot on" with procedures

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
                      Peace I wish you all the very best, but I shall not be commenting further. I repeat that I think you should not attempt any further legal action in this matter without a solicitor. Please please please don't!
                      I appreciate your help and advice and I have taken it onboard. I will however comment that you stated that to pursue a claim for harassment, a new claim would not be advisable without representation?

Please do understand that I am not able to fund legal representation which may cost £ thousands and if I am not successful I would lose, does it therefore follow that as I am not in a position to pay for legal representation that access to justice and the rightful recourse I deserve should be denied??
                      I have absolutely no faith in the courts to do the right thing and I am annoyed and frustrated. I spent weeks researching the guidelines, reading case law and info on Torts Interference with Goods Act, Protection from harassment Act, The Housing Act, CPR rules etc and making damn sure I'd done everything. I had tons of evidence of the Defendant's behaviour and lies and where did it get me?????
                      I feel so, so badly let down but I DO have to pursue this and get the result I deserve and more importantly the Defendant deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

In that case do not attempt an appeal.
                        Just because you will be a Litigant in Person will not absolve you from being "spot on" with procedures[/I]
                        What choice/s do I have ??? If I want to pursue this I can either a) Appeal or b) Submit a new claim for harassment/illegal eviction etc or potentially both. Not pursuing it is not an option...... My motto ''never, never give up' (Thou it's as hard as heck and takes every bit of strength I have)

Comment

Please do not proceed with an appeal unless you at least get some professional advice.
                          Have you looked to see if there are any women's aid foundations that might be able to arrange free legal assistance?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            Please do not proceed with an appeal unless you at least get some professional advice.
                            Have you looked to see if there are any women's aid foundations that might be able to arrange free legal assistance?
                            I am currently making an application for exceptional case funding and looking into Pro Bono advice and any other advice services I can. Unfortunately in my area it seems we've been left behind and they are few and far between.
                            I have also had other priorities and difficulties to cope with, the passing of a wonderful Grandmother, which was dreadful and meant that I have been unable to devote as much time as I would have liked to this and if I want to appeal I am running out of time.

Comment

Im sorry to sound harsh and my comment probably will, but if a party fails to comply with the rules, and you sit by idol, then you are as much to blame as the defaulting party. If an opponent fails to do something in a Court order i follow that up with an email threatening an application, and make that application if they dont put right their error.

If the Court order contains sanctions, then if a party fails to comply i make it clear to them they need to seek relief under CPR 3.9 etc.

If you sit back and let the opponent make errors but do nothing about them you cant complain, thats the problem. If you are litigating a case you should make sure you understand the rules or get help from someone who does, there are law centres, CAB and Bar PRo bono depts that will offer help and assistance
                              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                                Im sorry to sound harsh and my comment probably will, but if a party fails to comply with the rules, and you sit by idol, then you are as much to blame as the defaulting party. If an opponent fails to do something in a Court order i follow that up with an email threatening an application, and make that application if they dont put right their error.

If the Court order contains sanctions, then if a party fails to comply i make it clear to them they need to seek relief under CPR 3.9 etc.

If you sit back and let the opponent make errors but do nothing about them you cant complain, thats the problem. If you are litigating a case you should make sure you understand the rules or get help from someone who does, there are law centres, CAB and Bar PRo bono depts that will offer help and assistance
                                Whilst I appreciate all the help you have given, to be honest I find your post a little assumptive!.
                                I DID everything I could as a litigant in person. *** I read the CPR rules until I was sick of rhem****..... I researched and found relevant case law, quoted it in my statement of case and included it in my bundle, I read and found information on The Protection from Harassment Act and Torts Interference with Goods Act. I did EVERYTHING that the Defendant didn't do.
                                I also had a consultation with a litigation solicitor and paid a legal expert to provide advice.

Was that enough do you think??
                                When the Defendant didn't comply, I made applications to the court for him to 1) Produce evidence 2) Defence to be struck out and 3) witness statement to be struck out. ALL three of those applications were refused.

So in summary thank you for your help but I know darn well that I did everything and your comments are not helpful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X