• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

* discontinued * Small claim court papers receive for a limited company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by benken28 View Post
    JAGUARSUK just out of interest what is that exactly?

thanks
    When you file your defence you can counterclaim against the defendant, so ask the court to award you a judgement.

As the invoice was a company debt and not a personal debt you paid the money personally mistakenly believing you should settle the debt personally as you didn't know the debt died with the company. The law allows you to recover that money as you were labouring under a mistake of fact or working not knowing your true legal rights in normal terms.

Essentially the other party has received money from you personally they shouldn't have and you could have claimed it back.

You still could if you claim against the other party, however there are fees of £195 to take it all the way to a hearing and there is never a guarantee you will win.

His defence if he researches properly or seeks legal advice could be that he was expecting that money and had no reason to believe he wasn't entitled to it which can be backed by case precedent although he didn't for his claim against you.

Only you know what your best course of action is and sometimes it's better to just chalk things up to experience.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

When you file your defence you can counterclaim against the defendant, so ask the court to award you a judgement.

As the invoice was a company debt and not a personal debt you paid the money personally mistakenly believing you should settle the debt personally as you didn't know the debt died with the company. The law allows you to recover that money as you were labouring under a mistake of fact or working not knowing your true legal rights in normal terms.
      I extremely doubt he would have won that & probably would have been laughed at or had a stern stare at by a judge.

Think about it. His defence was he knows the debt is not a personal debt so therefore shouldnt have to pay. He wasnt mistakenly believing anything & to suggest so would be misleading the court (at best).

In any case, as director of a limited company you are supposed to know how limited companies work & the limited personal liabilities that go with it.

And also its not even worth thinking about because the time to mention it was months ago.
      Last edited by GBExile; 25th April 2018, 15:28:PM.

Comment

• Thank you both.

the thing is I knew it was a company debt and told him I would compensate him where I could so i wouldn't like to claim for something I'm not entitled to.

I will defiantly put it behind me now!

thank you to everyone again who has advised me

Comment

• Originally posted by benken28 View Post
          Thank you both.

the thing is I knew it was a company debt and told him I would compensate him where I could so i wouldn't like to claim for something I'm not entitled to.

I will defiantly put it behind me now!

thank you to everyone again who has advised me
          Sometimes that's for the best and I personally have done the same in a case this year.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X