• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Caste Lowell/Bryan Carter - Worried sick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court Caste Lowell/Bryan Carter - Worried sick

OK everyone this is, i think, my final WS - feedback appreciated

CLAIM No: xxxxxxxx
    IN THE COUNTY COURT AT xxxx
    BETWEEN:
    LOWELL PORTFOLIO LIMITED CLAIMAINT
    and
    IllustriousMuz DEFENDANT
    WITNESS STATEMENT OF IllustriousMuz
    I, IllustriousMuz being the Defendant in this case make the following statement believing it to be true.

1. On the 26th January 2015, I received a claims form from the County Court Business Center, Northampton for the amount of £850.36.

2. There were no details about when the alleged default occurred.

3. The particular of claims fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

4. On 26th January 2015 I made a formal, written request to the Claimants solicitors requesting that the Claimant provides copies of all documents mentioned in the statement of the case [EXHIBIT A], pursuant to Civil Procedure Rule 31.14

5. On the 26th January 2015 I sent a formal request for the copy of the original agreement to the claimant [EXHIBIT B], pursuant to Sections [77-79] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with a postal order for the statutory £1 fee.

6. I am still awaiting the claimant to comply with [S78(1) / S78 (6)] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [S78 (1) / S78 (6)] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement until they have complied with requests for all pertinent documentation.

7. Civil Procedure Rule 34.15 requires documents are provided within 7 days from receipt of a written request. The claimant has failed to provide any of the documents I have requested.

8. Around the beginning of May 2015, I telephoned the Claimants solicitors to try and resolve matters. I mentioned the failure to comply with my requests for documentation to be told by the lady I was speaking to that they don’t respond to those requests on the grounds that the original creditor should have provided the information. They made no representation to me that they had not received the requests but were simply ignoring them.

9. On the 18th September 2015 I received a Witness Statement from the Claimants solicitors.

10. The Claimants Witness Statement denies having received any documentation from me. This is the first time that I have been made aware of this despite speaking on the telephone to the Claimants solicitors.

11. The Claimants Witness Statement contains a purported Notice of Assignment, dated 15th October 2013. This is the first time I have seen this document and deny receiving any such document.

12. The Claimants Witness Statement contains a purported letter from the original creditor, also dated 15th October 2013, notifying me of the assignment. This is the first time I have seen this document and deny receiving any such document.

13. The Claimants Witness Statement, Paragraph 6, declares that the account “Fell into default 2nd October 2013” and that “A default notice would have been sent to the defendant at the time”. I deny receiving a Default Notice.

14. The Claimants Witness Statement, Paragraph 7, declares “the debt was assigned to the claimant on or around 4th October 2013. However, under S87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, a default notice should be issued giving the debtor at least 14 days to remedy the breach from when the notice is served and cannot be assigned until the 14 days have elapsed.

15. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed by providing pertinent documentation which has yet to be delivered to me.

16. The Defendant submits that the Claimant does not have a valid claim because the Claimant has failed to meet all obligations under Civil Protection Rule 16.5(4)

17. The Defendant submits that the Claimant does not have a valid claim because the Claimant has failed to comply with S78(1)/S78(6) of the Consumer Credit Act

18. The Defendant submits that the Claimant does not have a valid claim because the Claimant and the Original creditor have, by their own admission, breached S87 of the Consumer Credit Act by assigning the debt before any statutory default notice period has elapsed.

19. The Defendant requests that the Claimants claim be struck out.
    It the last 3 or 4 closing paragraphs I'm unsure on how to word.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.
    Last edited by illustriousmuz; 24th September 2015, 17:06:PM.

Comment

I would move para 14 to below para 5 so that the two are easily connected. This was not a loan was it but a credit agreement so I think it would be S78(1) and S78(6)

I am sure others will have comments but go get em is what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniethebolt View Post
        I would move para 14 to below para 5 so that the two are easily connected. This was not a loan was it but a credit agreement so I think it would be S78(1) and S78(6)

I am sure others will have comments but go get em is what I say.
        Done. Thanks!!

Comment

Double space your paragraphs before submitting the block of text in not easy to read it'll give the judge the hump!

nem

Comment

Originally posted by illustriousmuz View Post
            OK everyone this is, i think, my final WS - feedback appreciated

It the last 3 or 4 closing paragraphs I'm unsure on how to word.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.
            Spacing needs opening too clumpt up!

Comment

I've ammended my post containing my WS to reflect the changes you have all suggested. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

5. On the 26th January 2015 I sent a formal request for the copy of the original agreement to the claimant [EXHIBIT B], pursuant to Sections [77-79] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with a postal order for the statutory £1 fee.
                Should just be s.78 of the...

6. I am still awaiting the claimant to comply with [S78(1) / S78 (6)] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [S78 (1) / S78 (6)] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement until they have complied with requests for all pertinent documentation.
                As below:
                I am still awaiting the claimant to comply with s.78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s.78(6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement until they have complied with requests for all pertinent documentation.

Comment

Just a reminder
                  If anyone tries to suggest that a faulty DN is de minimus then you have case law on your side in Harrison v Link where it was decided that an error with a DN could not be dismissed as de minimus but had to be considered, I doesn't guarantee that the Judge has to rule in your favour over it, just that he or she must consider it

Comment

Perfect everyone. Thank You all so much for your help. This is being hand delivered to the court today

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

OK everybody. I've submitted the paperwork to the Court and sent a copy to BC . Thank You everyone for the help and advice. You have no idea how much I appreciate it

Comment

Hi Guys

My big day is approaching. I was hoping that at the last minute I'd get a letter of discontinuation but no such joy; It seems BC are keen to pursue this into the courtroom. I just wanted to go over some things I'm using in defence before I attend

Failure to comply with CCA Request

As I've said in my initial defence and in my witness statement, I filed a CCA request with Lowell on the 26th January 2015 which to this date I have had no response. As I've said, proving I've sent this might prove difficult however, I've got the original letter and a print out of the file data to show when it was created and modified so hopefully the judge will determine this was sent/delivered on the balance of probability, (after all, DN's and NoA's are not sent recorded either), so this is my primary defence on the basis that the failure to comply with this renders the claim unenforceable. There are some questions though:

1) When making a claim of this nature, even electronically, would Lowell/BC not be required to eventually present these documents to support their claim anyway? No documentation has been sent other than a supposed statement of account that says nothing really and some purported copies of NoA's from the original creditor and Lowell, both dated the 15th October.

2) My initial defence states that I have not received the documentation I've requested and I asked the court to instruct that these documents be issued to proceed. Nothing has come of that either. Can BC simply say that they did not send documents on the grounds they're denying my CPR/CCA requests were made? Surely after reading my defence they should have sent the documents anyway, (not that they actually have them)

Particulars of Claim

There are discrepancies in the particulars of claim in the initial documentation.

1) The PoC claim that the account was assigned to them on or around the 11th October 2014. The witness statement says the 4th. That's a week but not what I'd call "on or around". They can't seem to get their facts straight.

2) The PoC fails to mention when the account was opened, when it defaulted etc. Is this not something that should be mentioned in a PoC? I understand from reading here and elsewhere that if it's mentioned in the PoC then they should provide documentation to support it. Is this why they've made a point of not mentioning it?

Discrepancies in the Witness Statement

I'm going to make a big deal out of the lack of default notice and Lowell/BC's inability to provide dates etc. All I can go on is what's in their witness statement which merely states the account "fell into default on the 2nd October 2013 and that a default notice would be sent at that time". Terminology here being fell into default and not actually defaulted. I want to push for breach of S87 CCA which renders any default invalid therefore making the claim invalid. Are there any other CCA sections that might apply to this.

Again, everyone, thanks for all of your help.

Comment

The game is up. I received a default judgement because they said I never filed my Witness Statement on time. I've attached the letter

Can I argue this?

Can I do anything at all? Should I still go to court in the morning.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Call the court and ask them about your witness statement. You put it in on the 25th ? When was it actually due ? Their letter is dated 25th so might be fixable.
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm not sure. The only letter I have from the court is one saying that our court case was due to be heard on the 1st October. Seriously, I'm so messed up with all of this. I'm actually sobbing. I thought I had a great case. I've just been reading that documents like this should be exchanged 2 weeks before the court hearing but I've never had a deadline for it. I swear on my life!!

Even if it's 2 weeks before, I never got BC's statement until the 18th September which brings it under the 2 weeks.

Can I get this set aside? I'm reading that in cases where someone can show they have a chance of defending a claim they can still apply for a set aside even if documents are served out of time

I'm so annoyed that this scum can get away with this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X