• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another court case - hearing on the 24th August..HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another court case - hearing on the 24th August..HELP!

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
    ahh there is case law that says it is not necessary, to join the party ,

I had this case referred to me a while back , i will go dig it out
    One would be most interested to gain sight of the case that was, referred to.

Comment

VanLynn v Pelias 1969 ? Zhan asked me for it a while back to use in the defence. Assume PT means something more recent ? .Some bits in Assignment of rights of action anyway.

The official receiver must bear in mind that with an equitable assignment of a legal chose the assignee may sue the debtor party in his own name but, as the legal title remains vested in the assignor, the company or trustee must be joined in the proceedings before the assignee can recover any damages (Weddell and Another [1988] 1 Ch 26). With an equitable assignment of an equitable chose and where the whole of the interest is vested in the assignee (ie it is an absolute assignment) the company or trustee need not be joined in the proceedings (Cater v Croydon Canal [1834] 4 Y & C Ex 593).
      Last edited by Amethyst; 10th October 2010, 06:52:AM.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As debts are a legal chose in action the point remains The assignee cannot sue on his own if the assignment is only equitable.
        Last edited by Wolfy; 10th October 2010, 12:03:PM.

Comment

PT any sign of that case at all?

Comment

Bit of reading from OFT

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/bus...it/OFT1272.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by middenmess View Post
              Apologies - probably off topic so happy for someone to move

There is a lot of 'quibbling' (playing on words) in this document

2.28 will help my case as they can't provide the starting document.

2.29-2.30 legibility - They have to provide a legible copy of the actual or reasonable facsimile or reconstitute all the words in the right order for it to become 'kosher' under Carey.

Surely we are able to challenge and ask for proof as to their method of reconstitution, after all if I can't read it how can others and is it reasonable to assume they can not and therefore the copy is not an actual copy.

5.13 - Once proceedings have commenced and all that has been provided is an illegible copy can the defence ask for a stay until a 'true copy' has been delivered.

6.3 - Can a complaint be raised to the OFT regarding non compliance with a request for a true copy and this complaint include a request for them to recover the required documentation.
              Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

5.13 - Once proceedings have commenced and all that has been provided is an illegible copy can the defence ask for a stay until a 'true copy' has been delivered.

Read more at: Another court case - hearing on the 24th August..HELP! - Page 6 - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
                In their wisdom the OFT say...

Legibility of any copy
                2.29 Any copy must be easily legible, as must any copy of notices of
                variation or statement of the terms of the agreement as varied.16 If the
                creditor or owner has a poor quality photocopy or microfiche, it should
                retype it or repopulate a template of the relevant agreement form with
                the details of the specific agreement, so that the copy sent can be easily
                read.

Comment

I still think we can ask for a stay in such a case requesting the provide a true copy or a repopulated template or retyped (word for word) copy and request that they prove without a reasonable doubt how they did it
                  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

Originally posted by frisp View Post
                    I still think we can ask for a stay in such a case requesting the provide a true copy or a repopulated template or retyped (word for word) copy and request that they prove without a reasonable doubt how they did it
                    WHAT?

why stay the claim, its dismissal thats appropriate, see MBNA v McCullagh,
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

mmm MBNA v McCullagh - Claim must be dismissed if lender fails to comply with S 78 (havent seen the judgment on it tho or know any more than that) Generally yes, but I think frisp may be referring to his own case which surely they would just type it up for legibility? (its only the front of frisps agreement that's illegible in parts the T&Cs are sound I believe)
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

there you go, now you have it
                        Attached Files
                        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks PT I'll copy it to caselaw too and have a read.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                            mmm MBNA v McCullagh - Claim must be dismissed if lender fails to comply with S 78 (havent seen the judgment on it tho or know any more than that) Generally yes, but I think frisp may be referring to his own case which surely they would just type it up for legibility? (its only the front of frisps agreement that's illegible in parts the T&Cs are sound I believe)
                            I was sort of referring to my travails with Wescot but in general surely they must produce through what ever means a true copy of what the agreement was or what it said word for word in the right order, or am I barking.

If they do produce a retyped copy from an really illegible original it must be word for word perfect and my point was they should be asked to prover how they did it.

Comment

• interesting

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X