• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old Claim - What happens next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Claim - What happens next?

Back in 2014 I received a court claim for an old credit card debt which I hadnt made any payments on for around a year due to ill health, and my health has gone worse since, I am wheelchair bound and virtually unable to walk and need help from others to dress/bathe/eat etc

Anyway back in 2014, I filed the usual defence and requested more details about the paperwork on which they had based the claim.

I received some documentation from the solicitors along with an offer that they would accept a voluntary charging order instead of pursuing the claim,

I wasnt sure that the documentation was all correct and didnt want to go with a voluntary charging order so left things as they were.

I heard nothing further.

Fast forward to this month. They have written saying that I havent responded, and the amount is still due, and they want me to arrange repayment and update them on my situation. If they dont hear from me, they will seek clients instructions to make an application for judgement

I know that in the next few weeks it will be 6 years since I last made a payment, I am not 100% sure if I have done anything since that would have restarted the statue barred clock, but I assume thats why they are writing now at the 11th hour.

My gut instinct is to just leave things an do nothing.

So my question is, if they decided to go back to the court, would I hear anything from the court that it was 're-opened' , or would the first thing I know be a CCJ?

Thanks

(edited to clarify info)
    Tags: None

The clock for statute barred stopped on the date the claim was filed and it will have become stayed since neither party responded, thus has remained stopped.

You should check with the court the status of the claim.

The claimant can apply to lift the stay if it is indeed stayed, strike out your defence (dependent on what you put in it) and enter summary judgement against you if they so wish. Of course you can defend such an action in so much as your defence being valid (if it is) and that the matter should proceed to a hearing as opposed to summary judgement being entered.

It is impossible to advise any course of action without knowing:
    1. The particulars of claim
    2. The defence filed
    3. The status of the claim
    4. The contents of the documents they sent you
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

You could raise the delay as an unfair relationship however, creditors cant just ddo what they like, they do have a duty to progress claims of this type and they fact theyve delayed does raise an eyebrow

As Jaguar says, we need more info first.
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Is it this one Drydens and Sygma? https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...ens-claim-form
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X