• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Restons Solicitors Credit Card Debt Pre Action Protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coming up for air View Post
    this might be a sort of fishing exercise on Reston's part - but not guaranteed to buy me any time let alone it all going away! I'm wondering about how they go about reconstituting a credit agreement - and what makes this either acceptable or unacceptable. Am I correct in thinking it doesn't have to show my original signature, but would have to show correct address/name/dates in order to be enforceable?
    So I'm guessing they will probably issue a claim anyway as they don't have much to lose by giving it a go..

Not necessarily (that they'll issue a claim) but my firm believes in managing expectations so stating that they "can't" do something when they can (albeit it might not succeed) is misleading.

Since this debt is £8k it's likely to be allocated to the Small Claims Court not the Fast Track which is for claims over £10k. In the Fast Track the loser has to pay the other sides legal costs unless there have been 'conduct issues' along the way.

So they may think that if they 'give it a go' all they've got to lose will be not recovering the disputed sum for their client, but their client would still have to pay them the firm's legal costs (depending on the terms of the contract with their client).

Litigation is about tactics (as well as law) and that includes Pre Litigation matters.

It's knowing when to ask for documents (send that s 78 CCA Request to Arrow pronto!) and when not to in case you give them too much time to find them before issuing. If you ask for documents after a claim has been issued then the Claimant is under pressure to deliver the goods in a timely manner or else the opponent may ask the court to force the issue and strike out the claim if they don't comply.

The issue of what makes a reconstituted document acceptable to a Judge is a different tutorial

You say this credit card was opened in 1998 so hopefully they will struggle to get a scanned copy of it.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
      I think it was Joanna C who explained a S78 is for information purposes only, lets hope they can not find the agreement
      Exactly!

Section 78 is for 'information purposes' only not 'proof purposes'.

They can produce a document which they say they believe is the credit agreement to satisfy s 78, but the claim can still fail for a myriad of other legal reasons.

Is the debt owner Arrow Global Ltd or Arrow Global (Guernsey) Ltd which is unlicensed?

Di

Comment

Is the debt owner Arrow Global Ltd or Arrow Global (Guernsey) Ltd which is unlicensed?

Di[/QUOTE]

It's Arrow Global Ltd. Thanks for your advice. I'll send the S78 request off to Arrow tomorrow, but hold off sending the SAR to Lloyds until they do issue a claim. Agggh not sure If I could hold my nerve if they do manage to produce some kind of CCA - but I guess at that point I'd be wise to get some legal advice for their view on it! Thank you again.

Comment

Why not send the SAR to Lloyds now so at least you'll know what information and documentation they have retained (or not) since 1998.

That way if Arrow produces a reconstituted document you'll be able to tell whether it's 'honest and accurate'.

Or if the credit agreement isn't in your SAR response then Arrow won't be able to get it either will they?

Debt purchasers don't always have the same access to information as you do from the original creditor - that may depend on the conditions written in to Deed of Assignment. The credit agreement may be in your SAR response but Arrow may not be able to get their hands on it.

Litigation is similar to playing poker - you need to start to prepare your hand before you need to show it

Di

Comment

Hello.

Can I just ask for confirmation I've done this correctly:

I sent of my reply to Restons Solicitors to say I needed more information by signed for post to arrive within the deadline.

I will send a S78 letter to Arrow Global Ltd (who now own the debt and have instructed Restons to recover) Can I enclose a cheque rather than a postal order - and if so, do I need to write on the cheque that this is only be used for payment for the S78?

I will send a Subject Access Request to Lloyds (original creditor) and enclose a £10 cheque (again, to I need to write on the cheque that it can only be used for this purpose?) Do I need to list specifically what information I would like them to provide ( I had several current accounts, loans and credit cards with them over 20 years so don't really want to receive thousands of pages of bank statements when all I'm really interested in is the credit agreement for the credit card!) or am I better to ask for everything?

Do I need to send copies of my letters to Restons or let them know I've requested this?

In the meantime, Restons "shouldn't" issue a claim form, but if they do, I have 30 days to respond in which time I can see what comes back from Arrow and Lloyds?

Sorry to ask for yet more hand holding!

Comment

claim forms can be issued regardless of request made, whether they can issue request at a later stage is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by coming up for air View Post
                Hello.

Can I just ask for confirmation I've done this correctly:

I sent of my reply to Restons Solicitors to say I needed more information by signed for post to arrive within the deadline.

I will send a S78 letter to Arrow Global Ltd (who now own the debt and have instructed Restons to recover) Can I enclose a cheque rather than a postal order - and if so, do I need to write on the cheque that this is only be used for payment for the S78?

I will send a Subject Access Request to Lloyds (original creditor) and enclose a £10 cheque (again, to I need to write on the cheque that it can only be used for this purpose?) Do I need to list specifically what information I would like them to provide ( I had several current accounts, loans and credit cards with them over 20 years so don't really want to receive thousands of pages of bank statements when all I'm really interested in is the credit agreement for the credit card!) or am I better to ask for everything?

Do I need to send copies of my letters to Restons or let them know I've requested this?

In the meantime, Restons "shouldn't" issue a claim form, but if they do, I have 30 days to respond in which time I can see what comes back from Arrow and Lloyds?

Sorry to ask for yet more hand holding!
                My personal opinion is yes write on the cheques they are statutory fees and take copies as evidence (although you can get copies from your bank at a later date, it's easier to just photocopy them now). And ask for everything from Lloyds as you never know what amongst it might potentially become relevant later.
                COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

My personal opinion is yes write on the cheques they are statutory fees and take copies as evidence (although you can get copies from your bank at a later date, it's easier to just photocopy them now). And ask for everything from Lloyds as you never know what amongst it might potentially become relevant later.
                  Do banks still keep copies of cheques? I have to say i don't fancy your chances of getting a copy from your bank

Yes you can pay by cheque, I did for several of my CCA requests and scanned them so they could be matched with my bank statement.

I also insert a line in the CCA request 'Please find enclosed a cheque No xxxxxx in payment of the fee' - that creates a paper trail - especially if they cash it

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

Do banks still keep copies of cheques? I have to say i don't fancy your chances of getting a copy from your bank
                    Yes, they are processed now by machines which scan the whole cheque. A digital image front and back is still retained. It's because things such as the cashiers branch stamp on the cheque and any information printed/encoded on to the cheque may be needed at a later date.

But, it is still preferential to keep a copy yourself for ease.
                    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X