• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Needed With Laptop Before I Kill It!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Needed With Laptop Before I Kill It!!!

It's highly unlikely to be spyware/malware or a virus, given that they need an internet connection to do their work and you have active virus scanning. It could be possible, if you have had a virus and it has left some registry corruption, but these symptoms are very specific, so it is doubtful.

Two things to check before you send it back.

1) Are you using Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration to run your wireless network or Dell's own proprietary wireless manager? In order to turn of WZC (there are some known issues with Netgear routers) follow the instructions at this link. http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/2000.html

2) Another thing to check is power management and you should try to disable power management on your computer's network adapter. In order to do this, go to Control Panel, then System, then Hardware, then Device Manager and then expand the network adapters by clicking on the little + next to this entry. Now, find your wireless adapter, hopefully there will only be one! (Although, you will probably have two network adapters, one wired and one wireless) Double-click it to get its Properties. Look for a tab or button called "Power Management" and uncheck the box that says "Allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use"

If neither of these work, come back and ask again.

Comment

Originally posted by callumsgran View Post
      Consumer guarantees
      15. - (1) Where goods are sold or otherwise supplied to a consumer which are offered with a consumer guarantee, the consumer guarantee takes effect at the time the goods are delivered as a contractual obligation owed by the guarantor under the conditions set out in the guarantee statement and the associated advertising.

does this not refer to replacements also? as in 'where goods are sold or otherwise supplied' etc i would have thought this covers replacements?
      So as no-one has confirmed or denied this, am i right or wrong?
      Would be interested to know for future reference?

Comment

thought I'd be polite and reply...................... DUNNO dunno

well i'd of thought, YES..... but the guarantee period would run from the original purchase.

BUT are we talking GUARANTEE or WARRANTY as I believe there is a big difference

Comment

Thanks for replying lol
          You see i read it as, if you are given a replacement in the box you will find a guarantee and that should therefore run from when you acquired it not from when you bought the original
          I may be wrong, i might give TS a ring

Comment

yeah i know where your coming from but couldn't you then create a little problem every 11 months and get replacement after replacement after replacement

Comment

Yea! why not lol
              I know peeps used to do that at asda, i wouldnt of course being a fine upstanding citizen lol when my back will let me

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                Look for a tab or button called "Power Management" and uncheck the box that says "Allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use"

If neither of these work, come back and ask again.
                Did it all up to this point but couldn't find a tab/button saying this.
                Anyway I won't know if it's playing up still until it does.

Sorry to be a pain and thanks :kiss:

Sally xxxx
                P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
                life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
                Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
                  Oh No, Its not Sky broadband is it?
                  Originally posted by thephoenix View Post

Sky broadband... i hope not :rolleyes:
                  Originally posted by thephoenix View Post
                  ohhhhh Limewire :shush:
                  Sorry to hijack your thread sal, but, i am interested to know the reasons for the above statements?

reason being, i use both (with vista), without any problems. I have heard a few negative comments about sky and am interested to hear 'the word on the street' :okay:

Comment

Limewire can be full of malware and spyware, depending on what you download and where you download limewire from in the first place.

Do a google search on "limewire spyware" or "limewire malware".

It's not just limited to LW though, any P2P program can be filled with spyware etc, as you can attach these programs to different kinds of files (i.e. MP3)

sky I won't comment on, as I've never used it

Comment

When I first downloaded Limewire I kept getting "pop-ups" from something called Engine. About four an hour!
                      I did manage to delete the programme though, and keep Limewire.

Sally x

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Originally posted by littlesally View Post
                        Did it all up to this point but couldn't find a tab/button saying this.
                        Anyway I won't know if it's playing up still until it does.

Sorry to be a pain and thanks :kiss:

Sally xxxx
                        If you have disabled the WZC utility and given the Dell software control of the wireless adapter, this may well solve your problem. Now you just need to wait and see.

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                        Limewire can be full of malware and spyware, depending on what you download and where you download limewire from in the first place.

Do a google search on "limewire spyware" or "limewire malware".

It's not just limited to LW though, any P2P program can be filled with spyware etc, as you can attach these programs to different kinds of files (i.e. MP3)

sky I won't comment on, as I've never used it
                        Spyware and to a lesser extent Malware depend on an internet connection in order to carry out the tasks for which they were written. Therefore, it is unlikely that any such software would be written that deliberately prevented the PC from connecting to the internet, quite the opposite in fact.

Also, it is not at all common for executable files to be attached to music or video files, it's much harder to do that you might think. What tends to happen however, is that malicious software will be downloaded unwittingly as it will be presented as a utility or tool that the user might find useful, whereas in fact, it is hostile, intrusive and could damage your data or even your PC.

Comment

Ok thanks, i have been using P2P since the days of the original napster, so im pretty vigilant about not DL'ing anything except Mp3s, as these come from multiple users they have always been clean (touch wood). Thought i was missing something there.

Now just the SKY BB to clear up :okay:

Comment

Originally posted by stevokenevo View Post
                            Sorry to hijack your thread sal, but, i am interested to know the reasons for the above statements?

reason being, i use both (with vista), without any problems. I have heard a few negative comments about sky and am interested to hear 'the word on the street' :okay:

the only reason I said that about SKY broadband, is cuz i know nothing about it, never used it. :rolleyes:

I'm on vista with wireless BT homehub.

When i was on XP using bt homehub, I did have problems with the BT wireless network software, and switched back to windows wireless software, had no problems at all using that.

Have you tried switching Mcafee off, re-booting router and try connecting again.? which netgear router do you have? model number

Comment

Just a quick up date, didn't want to speak to soon but nothing has gone wrong with the computer since doing whatever I did.
                              Thank you so much guys ...... :kiss:

Sally xxx

Comment

good to hear.....soooooo what did you do?? :kiss:

Just in case we need to do it :roll::roll:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X