• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Refund for faulty Van

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refund for faulty Van

Hi can you please help me.
    I purchased a Renault van which was delivered 27th November 23 I had to return the vehicle on Thursday 7th December 23 as water was coming in through the roof this was repaired( I asked for a refund but settled for the repair) but on Monday 18th December 23 the water was still coming in and had short-circuited the radio and flattened the battery, I contacted the garage but no answer the following day I visited the garage but it was closed for Christmas,it's just opened up today so I called in and informed them I wanted a refund I received a call from them saying that they would repair it again and that I wasn't entitled to a refund can you please advise me on this matter regards Dave
    Tags: None

Hi DAVESPEEDY

Welcome to LB

Try not to worry, help is at hand.

Did you buy the van from a dealer?

(just a note, always best to do all communication in writing)

Comment

Hello ECHAT11
      Yes I did purchase the van from a dealer

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSpeedy View Post
        Hello ECHAT11
        Yes I did purchase the van from a dealer
        Should of asked before, how did you pay?

Comment

Bank transfer I should have used my credit card but didn't think☹️

Comment

You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

O.K. Amend and send the following letter, but remove the following from the letter, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

'[If you've owned the car for more than 30 days] I am legally entitled to ask that your repair or replace this vehicle at no further cost to me. If you are unable to do so, I expect to be reimbursed the original purchase price of [£xx], minus an agreed amount for fair usage.'

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-rejecting-a-new-or-used-car-bought-from-a-dealer-aeziX3M7tYNw

You could lodge a complaint with CAB / Trading Standards, they will give you a Ref. Number, on the letter you could add, CAB/Trading Standards: Ref: XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Update when you get a response.

Comment

As the purchased vehicle was a van was it purchased "for purposes that are wholly or mainly outside that individual’s trade, business, craft or profession."

Comment

Hello DES8
                the van was purchased not for business use only private

Comment

As OP has owned the vehicle for more than 30 days the sample letter provided by Which may need adapting to cover the fact that the dealer attempted but failed to repair the fault (the leak)
                  OP should also state the van is available for collection at a time to be agreed and that the refund should be by bank transfer, the method the original payment was made.

Comment

If OP,s van was repaired on the 7th December, the same day OP returned the van to the garage, then the "waiting period" is only one day, meaning that OP had 31 days to exercise his short term right to reject under CRA.
                    31 days from 27 November was 28 December. OP says he contacted the garage on 18 December but there was no answer so he was officially unable to reject the car then and wasn't able to do so until 2 January.
                    If the dealer argues that the original leak was successfully repaired OP may have lost his right to short term rejection.

Comment

There is a possibility that the waiting period is longer than 1 day if OP contacted the dealer about the leak before 7 December

Comment

Hello
                        I did return the vehicle on the 7th December and only picked it back up on the 11th so does this mean I have 35 days to reject this

Comment

Yes. That's what you call cutting it fine

Comment

Hi everyone.
                            I have sent a letter by recorded delivery also followed by an email to the dealership.
                            When I was talking to the dealership on Tuesday 04/01/24 they said that the manager needs to have a look as he was absent when they repaired it, I said that's fine but I want a refund, they later contacted me to request I bring the van in so the manager can check everything what should I do now

Comment

How can you take the van in if it has a flat battery? Did you tell the dealer the car was undriveable?
                              I can understand the dealer wanting to inspect the vehicle before issuing a refund. If it was me and the car was driveable I would take the car in to speed up the refund. However, under CRA, the owner only has to make the vehicle available for collection by the dealer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X