• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Please post your own experience of reclaiming PPI from Santander

done the insurer route and have mentioned the FLA (?) to refer the complaint to. Are these the same as the FOS? I feel that the fight is gone out of me on this one at the moment. As regards the CEO, I sent the letter that Victoria drafted mentioning workign for parents and being on maternity leave at the time, I don't feel that there is ant futher information to give them. cheers xx

Comment

The fla take different approaches when dealing with ppi complaints, take a look here.
      http://www.fla.org.uk/search?keywords=PPI&x=38&y=12

And the fla will investigate complaints with information not already taken into account by the original broker business you complained to previously.
      The rates with the fla are not that high but some have been successful.

Did you enclose proof from your employer about being on maternity leave? Xx

Comment

Not got any proof I can show really. I suppose I have got daughters birth certificate!! The fact thought hat it was a mothercare card should speak volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by tjperfick View Post
          Not got any proof I can show really. I suppose I have got daughters birth certificate!! The fact thought hat it was a mothercare card should speak volumes.
          Anything that may help, as they are bound to understand us women take leave for such things.

Are you still with the same employer now?

When my hubby requested for his SAR from the HMRC, we were surprised that he received data going all the way back to the 80's, he only done this last year and its FREE, so am wondering if anything would be enclosed within a HMRC SAR for you that may even state anything to do with the maternity leave and pay etc.........(just a suggestion really) but have they given you a timescale to go to the FLA? Asking this because it may be 2 or 3 weeks before the HMRC send you info.
          Even though, what I would do is if you did receive any proof of leave, I would send a copy to the CEO and say "please seriously review" as you have sufficient evidence etc........

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

The link above, just complete your personal details and tick for whatever you want at the bottom, a child benefit number will do as they ask for this or tax ref number.....or write both, income tax records may help, but hubby clicked for others at the same time as well that applied.

Comment

No, I do not work for the same company now, it was my parents company that has now closed down. I didn't go back to work there after my daughter was back until she started school and then it was only part time. I think it is the usual 6 months that I have to go to the FLA, but reading their pages, it states about offering new info that I haven't disclosed to the company conerned ( Santander) Thanks for the link , may follwo that one up. I feel that I have come to a brick wall with this one though. I will post the letter up the week after next as i am on holiday this week. cheers xx

Comment

Hiya
              The fact of then going back to work part time you have a point too, so if you worked less than 18 or 16 hours per week it may have been the case the insurance would not have protected you anyway, so hopefully info within the SAR may help.

If you were also on tax credits, any info on that would prove you were part time and not working at the time until your child started school x
              Have a good holiday week x x :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Hi everyone
                I would just like to pass on a message from our Victoria.

At this moment of time she has not been able to post due to handling a difficult, important and time consuming professional project, as soon as this is sorted she will be back :tinysmile_twink_t2:.

Victoria not going anywhere so dont worry lol, she wanted me to reassure you she will be back to help as soon as :-) X

Comment

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker who finally decided to register and share my story! I claimed for missold PPI on a Dorothy Perkins card pre-2005. I always remembered having it on my account and not knowing that it was optional until my dad advised me I could cancel it...which I did! Anyway, I figured there was no harm in sending in my complaint through the official Santander PPI complaints team. I received what I now know is the standard rejection letter from Santander. What horrified me most in reading this letter was the information they provided in regards to my PPI sale. Apparently I took the PPI out over the phone about 4 months after I got the DP store card. I have no recollection of this. I cancelled it about a year later. Then, apparently, I took it out AGAIN over the phone. I of course have no recollection of this either but this information flummoxed me. Why on earth would I take it out again after cancelling it?! Anyway, I then sent my complaint off to the FOS who advised they couldn't do anything as the sales were not regulated.
                  That's when I discovered this forum and this thread. It has been wonderful to see so many people stand up to Santander and I'm delighted that some of you have had some success. To be honest, I don't know that I'm entitled to a huge amount of money but it's the principal of it now that I'm fighting for. At the time the first policy was sold to me I was a full time student and when the 2nd policy was sold to me I was in full time employment with sick pay, redundancy etc. At no point would I have been eligible to make a claim on these policies. And even if I had been eligible I didn't want it!
                  So, I was going to try approaching Genworth when I decided to give Santander another go. I used the template that was provided by Victoria, tailored it to my own situation and emailed to the ceo@santander.co.uk and executivecomplaints@santandercards.co.uk
                  I received a very apologetic email from Katie Lunn advising my case was being looked at again and I would be contacted within 7 days.
                  14 days went past and I sent them a follow up email which was mildly plagiarised from one I saw on here Again, I got another apologetic email, this one was signed from Katie Lunn but sent from a Lisa Hoyle. She claimed they had been having technical issues as the business had just moved premises. I was promised a colleague would be in touch within a few days, the end of the week at the very latest. Well, today is the end of the week. I emailed them this afternoon requesting an update. I was emailed by someone else, Julie A Rayner who advised me I should receive a letter in the post in a few days time as a response was sent out to me by Lisa Hoyle on the 17th of June. I'm not going to lie, I responded with a borderline cheeky email - my patience with them being at an all time low. I don't want to get snippy with them but quite frankly they are taking the proverbial. I don't think any of us need to be psychic to know it's another rejection letter winging it's way to me but I'll be very interested to read what their reasons are this time seeing as how they can't use any of their previous excuses. I'll keep you posted when I receive it!

Comment

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me posting again so soon after my last mammoth post. I received my latest rejection letter today. To be fair, they do seem to be trying to personalise the rejection in response to my complaint albeit using their standard template. I'm a little annoyed at myself as it seems in my initial complaint I've made some errors which have kind of made it impossible for me to win as I can't prove I wasn't eligible at the time of sale. I don't remember agreeing to PPI as it was 16 years ago but knew I had it so I assumed (yikes) that it had been done at point of sale, this was when I was between jobs as a student. However, it transpires this wasn't when the PPI was sold. Firstly that makes me look unreliable and like I'm just making everything up. Secondly, it looks like when I did take it out I'm pretty sure I was on a 20 hour contract. This was a fixed term contract that ended a few months later which would have made me exempt but I have no way of proving this at this stage now.
                    My whole argument is that I would never knowingly have taken the policy out regardless but as we know they weren't regulated so I don't have much of an argument. I have of course replied, using their wonderful template for my own letter. I've copied in my MP and Which magazine too but I believe this will be my last attempt as I'm starting to feel now that maybe in my case they are right to reject. I've attached copies of their last response to me and my reply to them on the off chance that it helps anyone else.
                    Thanks for listening!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi there

I shall have a read of your attachments shortly (my puter running slow again tonight).

Have you tried the underwriter avenue as yet? (I also have a letter for this if you have not had this yet) mainly worded for the underwriters liabilities etc.

I succeeded with my underwriter (Genworth).

Now another thing I am also going to suggest is, requesting a SAR (subject access request) to the HMRC who provides details of your employer. They do not charge you, its free, and you can tick for as much info you want.

Last year on requesting for the information the HMC hold, they sent data going all the way back to the 80's, it may help you.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

Comment

Thank you! I have now just requested a SAR from HMRC, you never know there's a small chance it may work in my favour. I will wait to see what the final response is from Santander before I decide how much fight I have in me in regards to Genworth. I probably will go down that route though, especially as your letter seems to have a 100% success rate haha! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Hello Natpacino,
                          I am sorry for your troubles and I do know how you feel. On more than one occasion I felt like I do not have any more fight left in me. Our wonderful Di was very supportive and every time I got up and kept going. I got 3 rejections from Santander, last one written by the head of complaint department. However eventually they had to give in. It took me 4 months.
                          The underwriter avenue might work and Di is the best advisor here.
                          It is very good that you requested SAR. It might reveal something interesting.
                          I liked your last letter very much.

You should not have concerns about the mix up. In no way it makes you look unreliable.
                          On the contrary.
                          1. If you wish to build up the case to prove mis-sale without shadow of doubt, you would have based your complaint on the fact that you did not request it in the store, because you DID NOT WANT it in the first place.
                          2. They cannot provide you with the phone conversation transcript, so they cannot prove that you were able to make an informed decision, as they cannot prove what information was disclosed to you.
                          3. The fact that you DID NOT take it in the store proves that you did not have any intention to take it.
                          4. The fact that you canceled it later proves that you DID NOT want it.
                          5. That makes it very difficult to suggest that you chose to take it again.
                          6. They cannot prove you did asked for it.
                          7. Though you cannot prove that you did not, however it is highly unlikely to suggest that you did. It would not sound reasonable or probable.

8. Your case would have been much easier if you claimed that you did not take it the store. In no way you look like unreliable.
                          9. Your wrong recollections prove:
                          a) your honesty;
                          b) your total lack of knowledge about WHEN you got this policy attached to your account, which once again proves that you were NOT AWARE of it.

You rightly pointed in your last letter that according to the FCA guidelines they cannot ignore your particular case and refer instead to existing practises.
                          you already mentioned it in your letter. Well done, making all those points.

my question is:
                          would your national insurance contributions in any way be helpful and support your case?

also, as a possible suggestion, may be it is worth to call to the person who wrote to you the last letter (from the executive office), Lisa Hoyle???

Sometime a personal communication helps.
                          In my case it was Julie. I called her and we spoke.
                          It did help, I must admit.

May be, the best is to wait till your SAR arrives and then we all decide what are their weak points.
                          there is no time limit to reopen it with the CEO office. It will be new circumstances which came to your attention after SAR etc.

Then you can contact Lisa or Julie again and copy to your MP etc.

To summarise, I believe you DO HAVE a strong case to complain, because YOU DID NOT take it in the store, you DECLNED it. Then you CANCELLED PPI .
                          It makes it impossible to suggest that having those 2 real tangible facts, you then chose to take it.
                          They do not have phone transcripts to prove you wrong.
                          Finally, the fact that you do not remember how it appeared also works in your favour.

Sorry for my not perfect English.

good luck!
                          please, keep fighting, you are right, they are wrong.

I look forward to hearing your updates and to help in any way I can.

best,

Victoria x
                          Last edited by Victoria27; 6th July 2014, 19:36:PM.

Comment

Hello Natpacino,
                            I am sorry for your troubles and I do know how you feel. On more than one occasion I felt like I do not have any more fight left in me. Our wonderful Di was very supportive and every time I got up and kept going. I got 3 rejections from Santander, last one written by the head of complaint department. However eventually they had to give in. It took me 4 months.
                            The underwriter avenue might work and Di is the best advisor here.
                            It is very good that you requested SAR. It might reveal something interesting.
                            I liked your last letter very much.

You should not have concerns about the mix up. In no way it makes you look unreliable.
                            On the contrary.
                            1. If you wish to build up the case to prove mis-sale without shadow of doubt, you would have based your complaint on the fact that you did not request it in the store, because you DID NOT WANT it in the first place.
                            2. They cannot provide you with the phone conversation transcript, so they cannot prove that you were able to make an informed decision, as they cannot prove what information was disclosed to you.
                            3. The fact that you DID NOT take it in the store proves that you did not have any intention to take it.
                            4. The fact that you canceled it late proves that you DID NOT want it.
                            5. That makes it very difficult to suggest that you chose to take it again.
                            6. They cannot prove you did askd for it.
                            7. Though you cannot prove that you did not, however it is highly unlikely to suggest that you did. It would not be reasonable or probable.

8. Your case would have been much easier if you claimed that you did not take it the store. In no way you look like unreliable.
                            9. Your wrong recollections prove:
                            a) your honesty
                            b) your total lack of knowledge about WHEN you got this policy attached to your account, which once again proves that you were NOT AWARE of it.

You rightly pointed in your last letter that according to the FCA guidelines they cannot ignore your particular case and refer instead to existing practises.
                            you already mentioned it in your letter. Well done, making all those points.

my question is:
                            would your national insurance contributions in any way helpful and support your case?

also, as a possible suggestion, may be it is worth to call to the person who wrote to you the last letter (from the executive office), Lisa Hoyle???

Sometime a personal communication helps.
                            In my case it was Julie. I called her and we spoke.
                            It did help, I must admit.

May be, the best is to wait till your SAR arrives and then we all decide where are their weak points.
                            there is no time limit to reopen it with the CEO office. It will be new circumstances which came to your attention after SAR etc.

Then you can contact Lisa or Julie again and copy to your MP etc.

To summarise, I believe you DO HAVE a strong case to complain, because YOU DID NOT take it in the store, you DECLNED. Then you CANCELLED PPI .
                            It makes it impossible to suggest that having those 2 real tangible facts, you then chose to take it.
                            They do not have phone transcripts to prove you wrong.
                            Finally, the fact that you do not remember how it appeared also works in your favour.

Sorry for my not perfect English.

good luck!
                            please, keep fighting, you are right, they are wrong.

I look forward to hearing your updates and to help in any way I can.

best,

Victoria x

Comment

To give my dear friends more inspiration to fight their battles to the end, I am happy to report that my personal PPI saga is now completed.
                              I had complaints with 9 different companies, altogether 18 cases
                              eventually all of them were upheld.
                              I had 3 rejections, all of them were reconsidered without involving FOS, after I wrote back to businesses myself and then all 3 initially rejected cases were upheld with letters of apologies from companies.
                              It was very hard path, but at the end it worked out.

I try to imagine how many of us would be put off by all those unfair rejections (I am talking about UNFAIR rejections!) and would not continue to fight, allowing companies to get away with it, and I strongly feel we have no other option, but to stand our ground.

My dear friends, please keep going, this is the only way. When you feel low, think of others, who need us to stand up for our rights. We have to keep going, if not for ourselves, than in order to help other people. Often banks reject our cases again and again, hoping to wear us out. That is why we should fight to put things right.

I must admit that some banks were excellent and not only arranged for full refunds, but made the process easy, transparent and straight forward.
                              In every case like that I sent them a letter, acknowledging their good work, telling them how it helps to restore our trust, which is very important.
                              I believe it is a good practice to acknowledge any good work to encourage them to be fair to us.

I am sorry for being away for a while.

Now I am back and here to help the best I can.

Love,

Victoria Xx

Comment

Welcome, welcome, welcome back Victoria. great to "see" you again. :tinysmile_grin_t: :tinysmile_grin_t: With you and Di the "A team" feels complete again.

That at is some record with PPI complaints. Not only is it a fantastic result but it gives everyone hope that perseverance really pay off.........despite the bad days.

I have my court date with Santander set for September. They are defending the case, so bring it on!!!!!!!!!

Very best regards,

:beagle: Xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X