• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Black Horse PPI reclaim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Horse PPI reclaim

Originally posted by d1anne View Post
    If this final refund was actually made to D1anne separately, then we need to confirm that, and deduct £143.32 x 13.9204% = £19.95 from the £119.72 claim I put forward earlier, making the claim £99.77.
    HI Bill-K I do vaguely remember being credited with an amount at the end of these loans, so I DO believe this information that black horse have stated could be correct.
    I'm well pleased that you took the trouble to read through all the geeky waffle, D1anne, and found this 'hidden' question. As 'Foggy' Dewhurst might have said - " Good to see you're paying attention, that man !"

So - we can reduce the claim amounts similarly for Loans 2 & 3 - and this (albeit loosely) concurs with BH's accounts of the number of payments made to each account. It also (albeit loosely) concurs with Turbo's account of the number of payments made to each account.

We can therefore, I reckon, accept BH's offer on Loans 1 & 2 as being a bit stingy - but not too far off the mark. That then leaves Loan 3, which as I have explained above could be tackled on its own as an erroneous offer.
    Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
    WOW..... what a minefield you have had to work through and to hear our Turbs stating that he cannot get his round the calculations they must be very difficult. Hats off anyway to both Turbs and Bill for the amazing work you have both done in unravelling the calculations.
    Thank you, Tuttsi - you're very kind. I hope I'm not breaching any confidences, but I know that Turbo has had a lot of personal issues to deal with recently (as you have had also, Tuttsi).

I'm sure he will get his head round this, because that's the way he is. That's why I work with the bugga.

Dammit !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
      I'm well pleased that you took the trouble to read through all the geeky waffle, D1anne, and found this 'hidden' question. As 'Foggy' Dewhurst might have said - " Good to see you're paying attention, that man !"

So - we can reduce the claim amounts similarly for Loans 2 & 3 - and this (albeit loosely) concurs with BH's accounts of the number of payments made to each account. It also (albeit loosely) concurs with Turbo's account of the number of payments made to each account.

We can therefore, I reckon, accept BH's offer on Loans 1 & 2 as being a bit stingy - but not too far off the mark. That then leaves Loan 3, which as I have explained above could be tackled on its own as an erroneous offer.Thank you, Tuttsi - you're very kind. I hope I'm not breaching any confidences, but I know that Turbo has had a lot of personal issues to deal with recently (as you have had also, Tuttsi).

I'm sure he will get his head round this, because that's the way he is. That's why I work with the bugga.

Dammit !!!
      I will compose a letter back to BH and send it in reply to there offer and see what they have to say about it. do you think I should put a timescale on this as to when I would expect a rely or full settlement ??

Comment

I would suggest a 14-day reply expectation to be reasonable, D1. If you're gonna keep it simple, then just mention the Loan 3 error. Don't be specific with the figures - use the term 'at least'.......

Comment

I would suggest a 14-day reply expectation to be reasonable, D1. If you're gonna keep it simple, then just mention the Loan 3 error. Don't be specific with the figures - use the term 'at least'.......
          Bill, I would have thought that I would have had to quote some ( for example) figures for them to see where we are coming from as they have already stated that they believe their figures and calculations to be correct.........

Comment

I never like to suggest that we send them our own figures until we have some meaningful figures from them. The reason being that they will sometimes offer more than we have calculated - but if we send them our own figures, then they will not offer more than that. So - sending our own figures can have the effect of limiting our claim. So, personally, I would prefer to just tell them that they appear to have omitted to refund the PPI element contained within the £10619.56 loan settlement payment. This should be refunded, as it was not carried forward to a BH consolidation loan, and is estimated to be in excess of £4300.

However, I can also see the point of showing them our calculations, as I suspect they may well give you the run-around with this. So, for a (hopefully) faster result, then sending our own calculations may be worth considering. The choice is yours, really, D1anne. I'll re-calculate the figures I posted earlier, taking into account the refunded payments on each loan, and post them again here ASAP.
            Last edited by Bill-K; 20th February 2013, 00:59:AM.

Comment

I have used BH's and Turbo's method, where the refunded payments are NOT used in the calculations. This makes a tiny difference to the 8% calculations, but keeps things simple. Apart from the 8% SI calculation - which does need a spreadsheet - I think all of this can be checked with a basic calculator:-

Loan 1:
              This was for a total of £2323.43, and 13.9204% of this amount was PPI, which came to £323.43.
              6 repayments of £71.66 were made, totalling £429.96. As 13.9204% of this was PPI, then a total of £59.88 in PPI was paid, and is due to be refunded.
              The 8% interest on these PPI payments comes to £30.34 as at 15/01/13.
              Therefore, the refund offer on this loan should have been £59.88 + £30.34 = £90.22

According to the statement, the balance owing was £1887.96 at the time of settlement, and £1879.39 of this was settled by carrying it forward to Loan 2. The remaining £8.57 was settled by crediting the account by £151.89, and then debiting the account by £143.32.

Of the £1879.39 which was carried forward to Loan 2, 13.9204% of this was PPI, which comes to £261.62.

Loan 2:
              This was for a total of £6142.99. Of this, £1142.99 was a new PPI premium, and £261.62 was the PPI carried forward from the settlement of loan 1. So, the total of PPI was £1142.99 + £261.62 = £1404.61, which is 22.8652% of the total loan advance.
              6 repayments of £128.43 were made, totalling £770.58. As 22.8652% of this was PPI, then a total of £ of £176.22 in PPI was paid, and is due to be refunded.
              The 8% interest on these PPI payments comes to £76.40 as at 15/01/13.
              Therefore, the refund on this loan should be £176.22 + £76.40 = £252.62

According to the statement, the balance owing was £5658.58 at the time of settlement, and £5009.51 of this was settled by carrying it forward to Loan 3. The remaining £649.07 was settled by crediting the account by £777.50, and then debiting the account by £128.43.

Of the £5009.51 which was carried forward to Loan 2, 22.8652% of this was PPI, which comes to £1145.43.

Loan 3:
              This was for a total of £12496.04. Of this, £2496.04 was a new PPI premium, and £1145.43 was the PPI carried forward from the settlement of loan 2. So, the total of PPI was £2496.04 + £1145.43 = £3641.47, which is 29.141% of the total loan advance.
              No repayments were made.

According to the statement, the balance owing was £12430.96 at the time of settlement, and £10619.56 of this was settled by a cash repayment. The remaining £1811.40 was settled by crediting the account by £2074.45, and then debiting the account by £263.05.

The debt was settled with a repayment of £10619.56. As 29.141% of this was PPI, then £3094.65 is due to be refunded.
              The 8% interest on this PPI payment comes to £1220.22 as at 15/01/13.
              Therefore, the refund on this loan should be £3094.65 + 1220.22 = £4314.87

So, totalling all 3 loans, we have £90.22 + £252.62 + £4314.87 = £4657.71
              BH have offered £1199.11, which is £3458.60 less than it seems D1anne is entitled to.
              If we calculate the 8% interest to 20/2/13, then the total due is increased by £26.30 to £4684.01.
              If we deduct 20% Income Tax from the 8% SI (£270.65), their offer is still £3214.25 short, IMO.

It seems to me that the main problem here is that they have disregarded the settlement payment in Loan 3, and therefore the PPI contained within it.

I have attached the 3 spreadsheets, showing the 8% interest calculated to 20/2/13.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Bill-K; 20th February 2013, 01:17:AM. Reason: Attachments added

Comment

Thanks Tuttsi--most kind---but as Bill says--I'll get there

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                WOW..... what a minefield you have had to work through and to hear our Turbs stating that he cannot get his round the calculations they must be very difficult. Hats off anyway to both Turbs and Bill for the amazing work you have both done in unravelling the calculations.
                Looking at latest post Bill--

Loan1--Their actual CCA amount was £9.97 & date interest calculated to was 15/1/2013 as in earlier post by D1Anne giving £90.14 (I know-lol-cf £ 90.22)

Taking into account their income tax deduction of £6.10 (20% on stat interest of (their) £30.50) you and BH now agree Loan 1

Will work on rest during day--well done to you

I'm going to try and illustrate using the joint SS's I did for Maxie many years ago--lol
                Last edited by Turboman; 20th February 2013, 12:33:PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post

Loan1--Their actual CCA amount was £9.97 & date interest calculated to was 15/1/2013 as in earlier post by D1Anne giving £90.14 (I know-lol-cf £ 90.22)

Taking into account their income tax deduction of £6.10 (20% on stat interest of (their) £30.50) you and BH now agree Loan 1

I'm going to try and illustrate using the joint SS's I did for many Maxie years ago--lol
                  This is turning out to be quite a lengthy post and I cant thank Bill-K and Turbo enough for their input and help, I have now sent a letter of reply quoting the figures to BH and given them 14 days to get back to me, I will post back what their reply is, depending on what they say will depend on what I have to do next....... I only hope that when they look at the figures quoted they agree....... If not I dare say this will continue on until resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
                    I know you will.

I actually used a £3 calculator for the original figures, but used an Excel spready for the most recent calcs - hence the few pence differences !!!
                    As near as dammit, yeah.
                    I'm not sure that they have grasped the 'Carry-Forward' aspect, TBH. So Loan 2 shows a larger disparity because of this, I suspect. Get your head around that, and you're home and dry.
                    I'm going to try and illustrate using the joint SS's I did for Maxie many years ago--lol
                    Use what you are comfortable working with. I'll try and remember the old stuff and maybe meet you half way.

Comment

This is turning out to be quite a lengthy post and I cant thank Bill-K and Turbo enough for their input and help, I have now sent a letter of reply quoting the figures to BH and given them 14 days to get back to me, I will post back what their reply is, depending on what they say will depend on what I have to do next....... I only hope that when they look at the figures quoted they agree....... If not I dare say this will continue on until resolved.
                      I'm with you there, Di. Let's get it sorted. We've done our best to make sense of their offer, and I think you have done your best to make sense of our deliberations !!! Let's see what they come back with...

Comment

I'm with you there, Di. Let's get it sorted. We've done our best to make sense of their offer, and I think you have done your best to make sense of our deliberations !!! Let's see what they come back with...
                        My only fear is that they still don't get to grips with the calculations and refuse to change the offer and then when I go to the ombudsman he also doesn't get to grips and understand it..... so agrees with BH........... surely I cant be the only person who has loans like this with PPI as confusing as it seems to be...........

Comment

Cross that bridge when and if it happens. It may have been an honest mistake by them missing out one of the loans or they may well be able to provide you with an answer. I am very sure that if they have made one mistake they could have made a few. The figures that both Turbs and Bill have done are calculated in conjection with the FSA rules, so it is unlikely they would refuse to change the offer if they are wrong. They will not want a complaint made against them.

My only fear is that they still don't get to grips with the calculations and refuse to change the offer and then when I go to the ombudsman he also doesn't get to grips and understand it..... so agrees with BH........... surely I cant be the only person who has loans like this with PPI as confusing as it seems to be...........

Comment

Bill

I'm working from trying to understand BH's calcs first---I think perhaps the £121.87 in Final Pymnt for Loan 1 as against ours of £261.52 needs some challenging first--

I think it might be cos they are bringing into play "cost of alternative PPI cover"--so had a look at the bible PS 10/2012
                            or am I going down a blind alley?---note ref within below is not D1Anne's Loans but FSA examples

Example 8 The complainant would have purchased an alternative regular
                            premium PPI policy at the outset. The firm finds it mis-sold a
                            previous single premium PPI policy to the complainant which
                            was subsequently cancelled to consolidate or refinance the
                            connected loan.

As described in DISP App 3.2.7G and DISP App 3.9.3G, the firm should consider
                            the sales of previous single premium PPI policies to the complainant in respect of refinanced
                            loans that were rolled up into the loan covered by the PPI policy that is the
                            subject of complaint. Where there were previous breaches or failings the redress to
                            the complainant should address the cumulative financial impact on the complainant.

First loan and policy details:
                            Loan amount £9,400
                            PPI premium £1,700
                            Total loan £11,100
                            APR 10%
                            Monthly loan payment (without PPI) £199.72
                            Monthly PPI payments £36.12
                            Total monthly payment £235.84
                            Term of loan and PPI policy (in months) 60
                            Duration of payments (in months) 12
                            Time since loan refinanced (in months) 36

Loan 1 - Redress is calculated in two parts for loan 1:

1. As described in DISP App 3.7.3E and DISP App 3.7.10E, the firm should pay to
                            the complainant a sum equal to the total amount the complainant paid for the PPI
                            the PPI including historic interest where relevant (plus simple interest on that
                            amount) less the amount the complainant would have paid for the alternative
                            regular premium PPI policy.

In this example, this is the sum of the complainant’s PPI policy payments made
                            via the loan repayments less the price of the alternative regular premium PPI
                            policy.
                            The simple interest is calculated on the difference between the actual PPI
                            policy payment and the alternative policy price for each payment, from the time
                            each actual PPI payment was made to the time the compensation is paid
                            2. As described in DISP 3.7.4(2)E, the firm should also pay the difference between
                            the actual loan balance at the point of cancellation and what the loan balance
                            would have been if no premium had been added minus any applicable
                            cancellation value. Note that it is not appropriate to add simple interest to this
                            amount as it forms part of loan 2.

The above two parts are calculated as follows:

Historic monthly overpayments calculation for loan 1

Cost per £100 of alternative regular premium PPI £9
                            Therefore, monthly cost of alternative regular premium PPI for loan 1
                            (based on monthly loan repayment without PPI of £199.72) £17.97
                            Monthly difference (actual PPI payment of £36.12 – alternative regular
                            premium price of £17.97) £18.15--Hmmm--this is £9 per non PPI pymnt--should it not be £9 per Cash Advance (per £100)----LATE EDIT--of course its right--its like credit cars --its covering only the paymnt of the mthly pymnt presumably--not the main loan amnt in case of death etc????---I think--lol

Compensation for the total difference in PPI payments (monthly
                            difference of £18.15 x duration of payments of 12 months) £218

8% p.a. simple interest (on historic monthly payments for 12 months
                            and the 36 months since loan 1 was refinanced) £62

Total monthly overpayment compensation payable for loan 1 £280

Overpayment on loan redemption calculation for loan 1

Actual redemption value of the loan after 12 months (without any PPI
                            rebate)
                            £9,298.86

Notional redemption value of the loan after 12 months (if PPI had not
                            been added to loan):
                            £7,874.70

PPI rebate paid to loan at redemption (assuming that at 12 months the
                            rebate is 65% of the original premium i.e. 65% of £1,700):
                            £1,105

The overpayment value (actual redemption value - notional
                            redemption value - PPI rebate):
                            £319.16

This figure is refinanced into loan 2 so any further loss is calculated
                            with reference to loan 2's duration and APR. 8% p.a. simple interest is
                            not added. The amount is carried over into the loan 2 calculation.
                            etc as here from page 119+

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/policy/ps10_12.pdf

Also the £143.40 from loan 1 refund appears in loan 2 Summary redress Page ?????
                            Last edited by Turboman; 20th February 2013, 14:44:PM. Reason: LATE EDIT IN BLUE

Comment

Blimey, Turbo - I didn't think they had used the 'Alternative Redress' get-out. We need to get that clarified first of all, methinks.

Good spot -and well worth checking.

Like I said - you'll get your head around it, ya bugga.

Dammit !!!

So - Di - did you at any point say that you could have got cheaper PPI elsewhere ?

Important...

Comment

Blimey, Turbo - I didn't think they had used the 'Alternative Redress' get-out. We need to get that clarified first of all, methinks.

Good spot -and well worth checking.

Like I said - you'll get your head around it, ya bugga.

Dammit !!!

So - Di - did you at any point say that you could have got cheaper PPI elsewhere ? NO I didn't say I could have got it cheaper else where, bare in mind back to the start of my claim, I wasn't aware I had PPI on any of these loans and didn't think to question anything UNTIL I received out of the blue the claim forms to fill in that BH sent me ( I didn't request these, they turned up in the mail out the blue ) when I filled in the claim form I filled it in stating that I didn't know I had PPI and that I didn't feel I needed it cos I was paid full pay when off work for 1 year, had a death in service policy through my work for 3 times my salary and also at the time had another life insurance policy that would have covered clearing these loans in the event of my death......... I wasn't asked to prove any of this ( although I did have the contact info for the companies I had cover with just incase they asked so they would have been able to clarify)

Important...
                                As for the rest of Turbos quote....... im glad you both understand it cos it has gone right over my head................ lol as I said previously I only hope who ever works out the calculations at BH understands it and realises the error..............

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X