• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post

Finally, I did not suggest that the Government got involved in stopping the PPI scandal.

Please, do NOT put words into my mouth.
    Perhaps it's me that must be dyslexic then because the way I read what you said it couldn't have been anyone other than the Government to whom you were referring.

'''Funny how the Government is quick to Latch onto an extra revenue stream…it’s just a shame they weren’t as fast to move in and put a stop to these dodgy dealings earlier''

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      Perhaps it's me that must be dyslexic then because the way I read what you said it couldn't have been anyone other than the Government to whom you were referring.

'''Funny how the Government is quick to Latch onto an extra revenue stream…it’s just a shame they weren’t as fast to move in and put a stop to these dodgy dealings earlier''

Come on guys you two are two of the most respected posters on this forum, we should be looking to pinning the blame on the true culprits of this problem the banks not each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
        EXC, I have already posted that.

I am not surprised that consumers are confused!
        I had three successful PPI claims, which were all of the accounts where I had PPI. Specifically, they were MBNA (formerly Abbey National), Egg and Smile. The only one to deduct tax was Smile. Since I now live abroad, I fill in an annual online tax form, as I receive a small pension from the UK, so the PPI tax can also be claimed back when I submit the next return, since the total UK income is below the tax threshold.
        Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Getting tax-free interest on savings or claiming tax back : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Comment

If the funds are paid into a current account that is interest bearing, the value of the account is taxed, right? Isn't that the tax paid?

Dunno why my brain was not operating before reading that link from AC but it jogged my vaguer memory!!
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              If the funds are paid into a current account that is interest bearing, the value of the account is taxed, right? Isn't that the tax paid?

Dunno why my brain was not operating before reading that link from AC but it jogged my vaguer memory!!
              Quite right, so it is now bring taxed twice, I presume?
              Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

I can't see that because that would be interest accrued subsequent to the refund amount being liable for tax.

It's the same as income that is either taxed at source or not which then attracts interest if placed in a interest bearing account.

Comment

I can't see that because that would be interest accrued subsequent to the refund amount being liable for tax.

It's the same as income that is either taxed at source or not which then attracts interest if placed in a interest bearing account.
                  OK, gotcha, I understand now, thanks.
                  Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Members who are retired should read the following link:
                    Do you have to pay tax in retirement? : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

Comment

Although this is slightly off subject I DO pay tax on a small NHS pension.
                      Regarding PPI out of three, so far they have "paid off" existing amounts and I have had the remainder very small amounts, no demand from Mr Taxman but give hime time DT
                      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

IMHO, this link explains the situation:
                        Got PPI compensation? You probably owe tax

Comment

I've just read a POC a CAG member is using in a PPI claim against Capital 1. It is so bad that I do find it quite distressing that CAG could allow one of the members it is advising to use it.

Not only will the claim necessarily fail due to it being time barred but the claimant is relying on, amongst other things, the Banking Code (which doesn't exist anymore and didn't cover the sale of insurance anyway) and all but one of the FSA's Principles which the claimant mistakenly contends are ''legally binding'' but in fact aren't actionable in court at all.

The claim may well be over the £5k limit for small claims and therefore the claimant risks being liable for costs.

It's a shame I'm banned and that I couldn't point this out to the poor girl as the POC in it's current form is self-written a death warrant.

Missold PPI Capital One - Page 2

Comment

I'm not sure if we got this sorted or not - so I'm just chucking in a belated two penn'orth, if I may.
                            An 'interest bearing' account is, I believe, an account which receives interest from the bank (or 'depositee' ??). This is not the same as income tax - this is investment income. So, £100 deposited in a savings account that pays 2.5 % per year will have 'earned' interest to the value of £2.50 in the first year. I think it's important to realise that the account balance of £102.50 is NOT liable for income tax at the end of the year. ONLY the £2.50 'earned' interest is taxable.

So, our erstwhile PPI premiums are assumed to have been paid into a bank account which attracts 8% simple interest. This would - allegedly - equate to the 8% Statutory Interest (SI) upon which the IR is presuming to levy income tax. In effect, a £100 award of SI is deemed by the IR to be the equivalent of £100 'earned interest' on our savings deposit as mentioned above. Whatever else is in that savings account is NOT taxable - only the interest which is paid on it.

I needed to say that - even if it doesn't make sense to anybody else !!!

Comment

Further to above:-

For some undisclosed reason, it is NOT assumed that we might have spent a bit more on our kidz, our holidayz, or to improve our generally declining standard of living, etc. It is assumed that those of us who need to borrow money are also in a position to save it !!! I don't follow that train of thought, and I do not think it is a reasonable assumption to make. For that reason, I do not think the 8% should be taxable.

Some figures, if I may...

Bunging the numbers into Excel, I get this:-

£100 invested in this fabled savings account that pays 8% Simple Interest over 30 years would yield £240 in interest.

£100 invested in a realistic savings account that pays 4.165% AER Compound Interest over 30 years would yield £240 in interest.

So - in that respect - I concede that 8% SI is probably not that bad, compared to the 'real world' scenario.

But - I still maintain that it is illogical to assume that someone who needs to borrow would have otherwise invested their money in an account which attracts interest at an AER of 4.165%.

Comment

I've just read a POC a CAG member is using in a PPI claim against Capital 1. It is so bad that I do find it quite distressing that CAG could allow one of the members it is advising to use it.
                                I guess that Mr G has to use his apparent judiciary expertise, if he - or anybody - is to believe in what he teaches. "Those who can...do..."

The Law may be an @$$, but it is not 'blinkered.' To ignore the FOS as CAG seems to do is 'tunnel vision,' surely ?

Whatever lending institution now 'owns' CAG will be well pleased with that POC, and the clear avoidance of the FOS. You really shouldn't distress yourself further by going there, EXC. It's about as uplifting as a weekend break in sunny Zimbabwe, methinks.

I do numbers, not legal stuff, so I'm genuinely not up to speed with that aspect. Your opinion here would be appreciated - and respected. With regard to the LA, am I right in currently thinking that:

1. judicially, the LA 'clock' no longer starts at the JR outcome, but at the loan inception date ? - but;

2. the FSA/FOS do not impose such a limitation ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X