• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Sure looks like it, Enaid.

Looks like Turbo and I are gonna need to get our act together for this next episode.

It's enough to make a grown man cry, innit ?

and....Turbo - will you STOP twiddling your tie !!!

Comment

• Re: Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

One of the reasons for PPI mis-selling has been this:

"I am aware that you have been fined by the FSA for failing to treat customers fairly when selling insurance, and therefore I do not believe that my policy was sold in my best interests."

I feel this could be continued in the vein of 'Packaged Account' reclaims, but I feel that a list of such miscreants needs to be kept, and updated regularly. If regular posters on this thread would be kind enough to help with starting this list, I would be obliged. Perhaps I'll then post a thread to this effect - and perhaps it might warrant a 'sticky' status.

Thanks in anticipation !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
        One of the reasons for PPI mis-selling has been this:

"I am aware that you have been fined by the FSA for failing to treat customers fairly when selling insurance, and therefore I do not believe that my policy was sold in my best interests."

I feel this could be continued in the vein of 'Packaged Account' reclaims, but I feel that a list of such miscreants needs to be kept, and updated regularly. If regular posters on this thread would be kind enough to help with starting this list, I would be obliged. Perhaps I'll then post a thread to this effect - and perhaps it might warrant a 'sticky' status.

Thanks in anticipation !!!
        Nice one.

I've not read the FSA's consultation document yet but I would hope that the FSA applies it's insurance selling regulations retrospectively to packaged accounts - in a similar way it did with the PPI Policy Statement - so that people will have decent grounds on which to reclaim.

The thing is that with packaged accounts costing around £10 - £15 a month it'll not be worth too many CMCs getting involved and so any reclaiming campaign will have to be forum driven.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

I've not read the FSA's consultation document yet but I would hope that the FSA applies it's insurance selling regulations retrospectively to packaged accounts - in a similar way it did with the PPI Policy Statement - so that people will have decent grounds on which to reclaim.
          Nope - doesn't look like it:

2.1 The sale of insurance is subject to our Insurance Conduct of Business (ICOBS) rules
          and our Principles for Businesses. We did not write our ICOBS requirements with packaged
          bank accounts in mind. Although our current rules give firms flexibility to comply in
          different ways we think it is necessary to make detailed rules and specify the steps firms
          must take to establish eligibility and suitability (for future sales), in order to provide
          appropriate consumer protection.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/cp/cp11_20.pdf

Comment

Cheers, EXC.
            Further to previous. If we can have links to the provenance of aforesaid miscreants' fines, then that would be ACE.
            Thanks to your links, I've downloaded the doc - BUT - I have EVERY faith in your speed-reading/assimilation/summarisation abilities !!! Do your stuff, guv'nor !!!We may find ourselves in shark-free waters for a while, but even £10 - £15 p/m could become big bucks if we factor in that dreaded 'consequential losses' question. Same rules - new ball game, methinks. BUT - it will be even HARDER for the banks to reverse out of this, as it is overtly 'packaged.'

OK - so we are gonna fall back on ICOBS for this, then ?

We may perhaps find ourselves applying newer legislation to older stuff, and needing to resolve anomalies. Even with no sharks, the waters could become somewhat 'choppy,' I reckon.

Comment

I have one on a Capital One claim on a self employed friend. Cap1 have requested a letter from the Inland Revenue on their headed paper showing their class 1 or class 2 N.I Contributions. " Without this information we are unable to determine if any redress is due"

The man was a Director of a small sole proprietor Ltd co.and was only paid via Dividends so no NI was paid. Seems the Inland Revenue are going to be none too happy to be getting requests from customers for these confirmations when they are already stretched to the extreme doing what they're paid to do! cap1 really are the pits.
              Seek your own legal advice, I am not trained in legal matters, just give my opinion from my own personal experience.

I am an original Cabot Fan Club member and proud of it.

Comment

The FSA are acting on the mis-selling of packaged current accounts and, rightly, want to bring them in line with the selling of insurance:

They'll have to:

• Check whether the customer is eligible to claim under each policy and share that information with them;
                • Provide customers with an annual eligibility statement prompting them to check whether their circumstances have changed and whether the policies continue to meet their needs, and;
                • If the sales adviser is recommending a packaged account they must establish whether each policy is suitable for the customer and alert them if some are not.

FSA increases customer protection in packaged account market

Exc, oh god, do you know that their sales adviser stuff is not actually increasing protection with regards to point of sale except the eligibility to claim bit.
                The recommendation bit, I already know RBS Group do complete something which is called an illustrator which goes through the package of benefits(and some of them are completed when the customer has left the branch) which renders them pretty much USELESS!!
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Can any one tel me if a company can withdraw a PPI offer?
                  We "won" one with the FOS but refused to sign the paper work.
                  The complication being that it was Welcome Finance who have been altogether a bunch of !!!!
                  After requesting a SAR that was incomplete that had a different account number and address they have failed to come up with any legal "proof"
                  I approached the FOS who eventually have told me that they cannot look at the enforceability of this alleged account but can look at the PPI how can they do this it is allegerdly the same account.
                  We did have a Welcome account at our old address but had no paper work regarding our new address.
                  I have a whole file of stuff and letters to and from Welcome!
                  Earlier this year they got a collection company involved and they also have failed to provide CCA (last letter in March)
                  Where do I go from here, there was PPI on the paper work I do have but FOS have now said that I should accept this offer which in effect a "new" loan.
                  sorr to rambe every one looking for your advice please
                  DT
                  Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
                    Can any one tel me if a company can withdraw a PPI offer?
                    We "won" one with the FOS but refused to sign the paper work.
                    The complication being that it was Welcome Finance who have been altogether a bunch of !!!!
                    After requesting a SAR that was incomplete that had a different account number and address they have failed to come up with any legal "proof"
                    I approached the FOS who eventually have told me that they cannot look at the enforceability of this alleged account but can look at the PPI how can they do this it is allegerdly the same account.
                    We did have a Welcome account at our old address but had no paper work regarding our new address.
                    I have a whole file of stuff and letters to and from Welcome!
                    Earlier this year they got a collection company involved and they also have failed to provide CCA (last letter in March)
                    Where do I go from here, there was PPI on the paper work I do have but FOS have now said that I should accept this offer which in effect a "new" loan.
                    sorr to rambe every one looking for your advice please
                    DT
                    From my understanding of what you are saying they are not withdrawing an offer, you are simply refusing to accept it as you dont want to sign a new loan agreement, presumably if you have a ppi reclaim then you must have had the loan therefore I think you have to make a decision, either accept the loan exists and take the ppi money signing a new credit agreement (has been standard procedure with welcome on both FOS and non FOS claims for some time now) OR push on with your unenforcability claims and sacrifice whatever PPI refund your due.

I suspect a lot of people who wanted to pursue both uneforceability and ppi have been/will be in the same boat. I guess its time to decide which is of more benefit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul210 View Post
                      From my understanding of what you are saying they are not withdrawing an offer, you are simply refusing to accept it as you dont want to sign a new loan agreement, presumably if you have a ppi reclaim then you must have had the loan therefore I think you have to make a decision, either accept the loan exists and take the ppi money signing a new credit agreement (has been standard procedure with welcome on both FOS and non FOS claims for some time now) OR push on with your unenforcability claims and sacrifice whatever PPI refund your due.

I suspect a lot of people who wanted to pursue both uneforceability and ppi have been/will be in the same boat. I guess its time to decide which is of more benefit to you.
                      Thnks paul thats what i thought I have made myself an appointment with the local Citzens Advice Centre for early next week
                      DT

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                        Cheers, EXC.
                        Further to previous. If we can have links to the provenance of aforesaid miscreants' fines, then that would be ACE.
                        Thanks to your links, I've downloaded the doc - BUT - I have EVERY faith in your speed-reading/assimilation/summarisation abilities !!! Do your stuff, guv'nor !!!We may find ourselves in shark-free waters for a while, but even £10 - £15 p/m could become big bucks if we factor in that dreaded 'consequential losses' question. Same rules - new ball game, methinks. BUT - it will be even HARDER for the banks to reverse out of this, as it is overtly 'packaged.'

OK - so we are gonna fall back on ICOBS for this, then ?

We may perhaps find ourselves applying newer legislation to older stuff, and needing to resolve anomalies. Even with no sharks, the waters could become somewhat 'choppy,' I reckon.
                        AFAIK no bank has been fined for mis-selling packaged accounts.

I don't think you can rely on ICOBS to reclaim for past mis-selling as the FSA has pretty much given the banks a get-out clause - ''We did not write our ICOBS requirements with packaged bank accounts in mind.''

However the FSA's Treating Customers Fairly principles should apply regardless but wouldn't necessarily cover everything that ICOBS would if it had applied.

Here's an example of Lloyds refunding someone presumably on the grounds of unsuitability New bank mis-selling scandal as watchdog plans 'premium' account crackdown | Mail Online

It would be worth having a look to see if the FOS has uphold rate figures for packaged account mis-selling complaints as that would give us a fair indication. If they haven't published the figures then request them under the Freedom of Information Act as they will be covered by the Act from next Tuesday.

Comment

More banks have admitted they are failing to hit the 28-day deadline between agreeing a payment protection insurance (PPI) compensation figure and paying it........

More banks admit PPI compensation delays

Comment

Another one settled from Sainsbury bank, taken since mid July and during this time even though they knew I had a claim for the PPI with FOS they passed it on to Blair Oliver Scott. Once the accoount is cleared i should have about £600!:tinysmile_grin_t:
                            Just Barclays and Welcome to go then!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul210 View Post
                              ... OR push on with your unenforcability claims and sacrifice whatever PPI refund your due.

The $64,000 dollar question for many...
                              Can one have ones cake and eat it?

Comment

The FSA are acting on the mis-selling of packaged current accounts and, rightly, want to bring them in line with the selling of insurance:

They'll have to:

• Check whether the customer is eligible to claim under each policy and share that information with them;
                                • Provide customers with an annual eligibility statement prompting them to check whether their circumstances have changed and whether the policies continue to meet their needs, and;
                                • If the sales adviser is recommending a packaged account they must establish whether each policy is suitable for the customer and alert them if some are not.

FSA increases customer protection in packaged account market
                                Sorry, not been around much of late folks due to ongoing family issues, but just wanted to say that LTSB refunded me a year's worth of packaged account fees earlier this year (not a lot considering we'd been paying them for quite some time, but better than nothing!) after I complained that we had not requested that our account be 'upgraded' and that we had the same 'benefits' provided elsewhere

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X